The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sharks re-sign Erik Karlsson

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

50pts for Karlsson.

But that contract prevents how many other points from how many other players?

and how many points for the opposition while he's on the ice?

It's not simply a Karlsson thing (his -18 doesn't exactly stand out on an sinking team) - but 3.8 on ice goals against per 60 5 on5, playing on fairly 'level' ice = not exactly impressive.

They  might do well to recover some assets for him asap (if they can, if there are any contenders both able and willing to take that on...)

I'm glad 'we' did not waste the assets or cap space inserting him in front of Hughes in the scheme of things.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Losing Pavelski and Donskoi in the summer hurt the Sharks more than I think they thought it would.  The injury to Couture didn't help and the injury to Hertl was basically the final nail in the coffin of the 2019/2020 season.  Thornton can still be dangerous but he's nowhere near his level of play from even a couple season ago. 

If the Sharks can stay healthy next year, then I think their current forward group supplemented with strong depth in the middle 6 (UFAs) should still remain competitive but they definitely have dropped a few notches, especially with Jones' quick decline.  They just have way too much cap tied up in Karlsson, Burns and Vlasic (I was surprised to see Vlasic at $7M/year through 2025-2026).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Losing Pavelski and Donskoi in the summer hurt the Sharks more than I think they thought it would.  The injury to Couture didn't help and the injury to Hertl was basically the final nail in the coffin of the 2019/2020 season.  Thornton can still be dangerous but he's nowhere near his level of play from even a couple season ago. 

If the Sharks can stay healthy next year, then I think their current forward group supplemented with strong depth in the middle 6 (UFAs) should still remain competitive but they definitely have dropped a few notches, especially with Jones' quick decline.  They just have way too much cap tied up in Karlsson, Burns and Vlasic (I was surprised to see Vlasic at $7M/year through 2025-2026).

Sharks need a goalie.

• Upvote 1

Karlsson and Subban were just named two of the NHL's most over-rated players in one of those derpy MSN articles - top of their list (but perhaps they belong?)

Fun time to go back and read the Weber for Subban trade thread.....

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/377866-trade-pk-subban-to-predators-for-shea-weber/

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 1