The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sharks re-sign Erik Karlsson

3 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

After that deal.... price just went up again.  His agent knows there one big players off the market...Edler just went one step forward on the priority list.

Agreed, JB should have locked him down a month ago, but Edlers agent was likely waiting to see what EK got.

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

It doesnt make sense to me that EK was there in the first place. They have Burns on the right side locked up forever as well. Plavsic or someone has to go right? There has to be little cash for Pavelski now. He is their heart and soul and would be shocked if they dont re sign him as well. 

Capfriendly hasn't updated yet so it's still showing them at roughly just over 24m cap space. They've still got Pavelski, LaBanc, Meier, Thornton, Donskoi and a few other UFA's pending. I imagine they'll be moving on from Nyquist. Thornton might have to take a sweetheart deal. 

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

It doesnt make sense to me that EK was there in the first place. They have Burns on the right side locked up forever as well. Plavsic or someone has to go right? There has to be little cash for Pavelski now. He is their heart and soul and would be shocked if they dont re sign him as well. 

Despite saying they would welcome him back...Thornton is not coming back.  Unless it's under 3M$. So his 5M$ cap hit just went to Karlsson.

But still I agree, that's a lot of committed $$$ to an aging core.   Although I was expecting them to fall earlier than this, when they do fall, they are going to fall hard.

• Upvote 1

YES. Thats great news. 

7 years @ 11+ mill lololololololol. Can you say buyout candidate.  

Thats a contract that come with buyer remorse. 

Thank you SJS. We won’t be handcuffed with that disaster. 

Just hope Jimmie doesn’t try to out do sjs and sign an equally stupid deal......that’s asking a lot of spender Jim thou. 

Que the panic to sign edler.lol. I hope edler moves on too, 

hope jim doesn’t screw Vancouver's GM with a stupid contract for old slow Eddie. 

Edited by combover
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

Does this have an effect on the return that the Sens got? I believe it adds a first?

A 2nd round pick in 2021.

10 minutes ago, rekker said:

This. I would love to add EK. But looks like we would of had to trade and then sign to even match that. And that is on fugly deal. Too much term and too much for a guy that is showing signs of falling apart. 

Sign and trade was the only option. Only the team who holds a player's rights at the last TDL before signing date can offer 8 years.

• Upvote 1

I am amazed he got those dollars and that term, especially from San Jose.

They don’t need him that bad and will have a lot of dollars tied up in older players.

They must really want their fans and players to know they are going for it in the short term.

At least it means they will be getting worse as we are getting better.

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Guess his wife will just have to suffer down in sunny California 

I guess that fight from Vancouver to Ottawa a few days ago was to go explain it to the in-laws. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

14 minutes ago, rekker said:

I think that title belongs to Logan Couture now.

4 minutes ago, mpt said:

Except for it sets a precedent, I bet Edler’s agent now asked for >7 million

if it was a 2 year deal that would be a little pricey, but manageable. And still better than giving that to Gardiner. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Honestly glad he’s off the market. Wayyyyy to rich for my tastes. Aging and injury proned, despite all his upside. That will be a hard contract for San Jose to swallow.

Resigning Edler is now priority one. Hopefully Jim gets it done ASAP