The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sharks re-sign Erik Karlsson

1 hour ago, Shekky said:

image.png.2a53f254f40dfabac03267d1916bbdc2.png

11mil of that on the books going to be rough to manage that

So roughly 7 more contracts to sign with about 12 million left? I love watching these teams lock up their core for long term (7-8 years) as any very good players they accumulate(see Panarin in Chicago), will have to be practically given away because they do not have the Cap Space to sign them.

JB should be lurking on the outside and wait until these teams are in a bind(see TO with Marner) and pounce on the REAL DEALS to be had. ::D

Edited by EdgarM
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mpt said:

100% agree Edler>Gardiner but Edler is going to want way more than 2 years

I'd be fine with that if he wasn't stuck on the NMC. But if Edler can get 3-4 years and a NMC from another team I'd be happy for him. 

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I can ask the GF for a coke fueled threesome with Evan Rachel Wood. Does that mean it will happen?

There is a reason its called precedent, if I were to have a coke fueled threesome with my wife and Evan Rachel Wood’s hotter relative, then it is reasonable to expect a lesser ask on something you didn’t think was possible.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

bigger mistakes to me made in the 2nd tier too sometimes (cough, Loui). It would be scary and fun at the same time to see a Panarin signing. 

There's also plenty of 2nd tier guys who go on to make solid contributions on their teams without the insane level of cap/term hamstringing of an $11mx8 year deal.

Everybody has a bad taste in their mouths because of Eriksson but he's not the rule.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd be fine with that if he wasn't stuck on the NMC. But if Edler can get 3-4 years and a NMC from another team I'd be happy for him. 

I’d rather have Edler with a NMC when we don’t have very many players worth protecting in an expansion draft then lose our best defenseman and have no one.  At least we’ll be picking bottom 4 for once.

Just now, aGENT said:

There's also plenty of 2nd tier guys who go on to make solid contributions on their teams without the insane level of cap/term hamstringing of an $11mx8 year deal.

Everybody has a bad taste in their mouths because of Eriksson but he's not the rule.

but, at some point you'll have a few of these signings if you are going to be a competitive team. So what would be wrong with Panarin, Petey and Hughes (assuming all goes to plan) being our big 3?

13 minutes ago, mpt said:

There is a reason its called precedent, if I were to have a coke fueled threesome with my wife and Evan Rachel Wood’s hotter relative, then it is reasonable to expect a lesser ask on something you didn’t think was possible.

Yes, I'm sure ERW would be all over you because her relative was. That's not how people work and it's a godawful analogy. 

Karlsson was always going to get north of 10 million from whoever signed him. It doesn't mean Edler is suddenly worth that much more money. 

Edited by HerrDrFunk

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

So roughly 7 more contracts to sign with about 12 million left? I love watching these teams lock up their core for long term (7-8 years) as any very players they accumulate(see Panarin in Chicago), will have to be practically given away because they do not have the Cap Space to sign them.

JB should be lurking on the outside and wait until these teams are in a bind(see TO with Marner) and pounce on the REAL DEALS to be had. ::D

Barracuda shares the rink with the Sharks.  They can go 21 players at home and bank cap space during that time - must be waiver free though.    They might have to let Pavelski go though unless he takes quite the pay cut.  

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

So roughly 7 more contracts to sign with about 12 million left? I love watching these teams lock up their core for long term (7-8 years) as any very players they accumulate(see Panarin in Chicago), will have to be practically given away because they do not have the Cap Space to sign them.

Yes... and news came down today that the cap is likely actually going to be less than the  $83 million originally thought.

So $12 million, have to leave a million or minimum for short term injury call ups, so really $11 million.

Pavelski minimum $7 million

Meier minimum $6 million

Labanc $3-4 million

One of the first two is gone certainly.  Then Dhillon and Braun need to go to free up some money for forwards.  They have one line left basically.

Nyqvist is now looking for a job.  He might be an under the radar signing for Horvat’s wing. 

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but, at some point you'll have a few of these signings if you are going to be a competitive team. So what would be wrong with Panarin, Petey and Hughes (assuming all goes to plan) being our big 3?

Oh I'm not entirely opposed, I'll be just as excited as everyone else! He's a REALLY good player.

I think my biggest issue I have with us targeting Panarin is that IMO, I'd rather see a skilled 'mucker' on Petey's LW. Great player, just not sure he fits what we need there. He might fit incredibly well on Horvat's W conversely but then $10m+ to play on our 2nd line....:wacko: Plus you just know that the last few years of that deal aren't likely to be pretty.

It's also likely a pipe dream and almost zero chance of him actually signing here :(

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I am amazed he got those dollars and that term, especially from San Jose.

They don’t need him that bad and will have a lot of dollars tied up in older players.

They must really want their fans and players to know they are going for it in the short term.

At least it means they will be getting worse as we are getting better.

They’ve been fighting to get to a cup for so long, I get why they did it. He’s a difference maker and they have a window still. In 4 years they are going to suck, but if they can find a way to re-sign pavelski they are going to be in the thick of it for a while yet. They’re pot committed already so they went all in

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yes... and news came down today that the cap is likely actually going to be less than the  $83 million originally thought.

So $12 million, have to leave a million or minimum for short term injury call ups, so really $11 million.

Pavelski minimum $7 million

Meier minimum $6 million

One of those is gone certainly.  Then Dhillon and Braun need to go to free up some money for forwards.

With roughly half of their Cap Space spent on 5 players for at least the next 6 years, there is definitely going to be much more BARGAINS to be had from SJ players coming up. LOVE IT!  

All of these teams who have been able to hoard young talent are finally going to have to pay the piper. Good times are ahead I just hope JB and Co. see this trend and act accordingly.

Thank the hockey gods the temptation is gone. Karlsson was like that used ultra rare car, that sat in the front of the lot on your way home from work every day, and was burning a hole in your pocket. You know you shouldn't but you know you were gonna eventually.

8 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

With roughly half of their Cap Space spent on 5 players for at least the next 6 years, there is definitely going to be much more BARGAINS to be had from SJ players coming up. LOVE IT!  

All of these teams who have been able to hoard young talent are finally going to have to pay the piper. Good times are ahead I just hope JB and Co. see this trend and act accordingly.

... and in the next three drafts TOTAL, they have just one 1st rounder, one 2nd rounder, and two 3rd rounders... so don't expect much help coming up the pipeline in terms of cheap ELCs.

They are all in right now, and even in the short term I have no idea how they do it with so little depth up front.  I guess we will get to see the experiment whether a rockstar offensive defence can make any forward group score.

What a strange structure to the deal.  I understand the huge SBs.  They circumvent the escrow.

Why the two years with almost none?  Then at the end of the deal it returns to mostly SB.  Would think the team would make the last two years mostly salary so it could be bought out if needed.

Stars are hard to come by and you need to do what you need to do to keep them.

makes you wonder if someone else on that D may hit the trade market.