The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sharks re-sign Erik Karlsson

57 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The team is good, but the majority of core of the team is in their 30's.

For sure. But they will be competitive for years. Not Cup favourites but have a lot of nice pieces moving forward.  

1 minute ago, Nuck1991 said:

would have loved karlsson on canucks but fuk no not at that cap

Love EK, but that's crazy dollars for him.  Can a team win the Cup with such a high dollar amount on 1 guy?  Look at the messes the Oilers, Sabres, and the Leafs are in, because of paying way too much for a couple guys.   

• Upvote 1

The contract and cap hit should not be a surprise. 

Sharks are taking a risk for the back end years for when his production drops and whether he recovers well after his surgery. 

Regardless of all that, I would have done the same and he would have been real special as a Canuck. 

It is sad knowing that the Canuck defence will not have any significant help next year. They will be overpaying average players on free agency and nothing will improve. 

Cut & paste of his other tweets:

Karlsson: The #SJSharks “never pushed me to make a decision, they just let me play hockey” last season. Calls it “handled extremely well, and professional on their part”.

Karlsson: “San Jose has been a good team for like 20 years now, that shows a lot…” says playoff process and seeing teammates under adversity gave him great grasp of franchise/group.

Karlsson: “My focus ever since I got traded to San Jose, was on San Jose”. Never really tested any other options out there OTT & MTL included. 

Karlsson: “This is something I was thinking about the whole year, but it wasn’t until the last couple weeks that they got real serious.”

Karlsson: Says it was a “family decision” but also based on career/hockey to stay in San Jose. Any other reports had no merit. 

Karlsson: “I felt like a Shark all year”. Currently in recovery process - doesn’t expect groin injury/surgery to impact the start of his next season.

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Sharks have 12.5M in cap space left and they only have 16 players signed. The two Joes may no longer be Sharks after this signing....perhaps Thornton does a 1 or 2M special but Pavelski will definitely want his pay day...

Not at all surprised by the numbers. Expected to see something between $11-12 million AAV for Karlsson. He had already turned down $80 million over 8 years ($10M AAV) from Ottawa. His agent made it clear that the starting point for any negotiation needed to be the Drew Doughty extension ($11 million AAV). Karlsson and his agent believe he is the best/most valuable Dman in the world (and there’s a legitimate case for this being true), so they weren’t going to accept any deal that didn’t make him the league’s highest paid player at his position.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Thornton ain't getting re-signed.

I think he will and it will be a very team friendly contract.  He wants to win a Cup.  

Edited by mll

I would have done 7 x 11 easily for Karlsson, assuming he was cleared by medical staff.

I think most teams have a combination of blah players who make around 11 mil who don’t make nearly the difference Karlsson does. 

Oh well.  Sharks aren’t going to be sunk by this, it’s the combination of Thornton/Pavelski/Burns/Vlasic etc etc getting old that will make this kind of a silly signing.  

Edited by ilduce39

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

League minimum?

Whatever is left.  He's over 35 so they can put performance bonuses based on production, games played etc.  They will be shedding the Martin buyout cap hit of 1.4M in a year and that can cover part of a bonus overage.  

4 hours ago, peaches5 said:

With that said they now have 3 dman making 7+ million for 6 + years and most people here are complaining about paying Edler 6-7m for a few years.

Except Vlasic, Karlsson and Burns >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Edler

Karlsson is the #1 D man in the league, Edler is lucky to be the #1 D man on this team that has poor dmen like hutton, schenn etc. Edler would be a bottom pairing D man on that SJ team and SJ wouldn't pay Edler 6-7 million, so why should the Canucks?