The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alexander Edler to hit the free agency market

1 hour ago, Provost said:

You mean because he said that he likes it here?

... like what literally every player says when asked by their local media?

The “he only wants to play here” narrative was invented on this forum.

It was invented here?

Thanks for coming out and everything but the past 2 trade deadlines Edler has been hounded by the media and asked if he is going to waive his NTC.  He himself said he wants to only play here and wants to finish his career in Vancouver.  Said he loves the team and city and didnt want to leave.

Nothing was made up on CDC. Not sure where you're getting your information from.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

You can't be upset with management, Edler said no and they had no options. I am mad at Edler. He refused to waive his NTC and now he wants a 3 year deal with a full NMC why would JB protect him in the expansion draft and risk losing a young guy over it...don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out Alex.

True but I would think that contracts and trades have been done that involved difficult situations before. And this also not be the first time this management not getting anything at the trade deadline and letting their players walk. One would think they would learn from previous mistakes 

5 hours ago, playboi19 said:

Yzerman is always signing Canucks older d-men. I don’t think they have the cap space though.

I doubt Edler will sign in Detroit. Detroit is a young team like Vancouver. He will be signed for the same role and live in a worse city. I can actually see Edler sign a 2 year contract with a contending team for a chance to win a cup before his career is over. Or some team willing to overpay him and give him a NMC (highly unlikely) which gives him stability. If the right offer doesn’t come to him, Edler will probably be back with the Canucks. I am personally a fan of bringing Edler back for 2 more years. But regardless of what his choice going to be, I thank him for being an anchor of this Canucks blue line for the past 11 years.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

It was invented here?

Thanks for coming out and everything but the past 2 trade deadlines Edler has been hounded by the media and asked if he is going to waive his NTC.  He himself said he wants to only play here and wants to finish his career in Vancouver.  Said he loves the team and city and didnt want to leave.

Nothing was made up on CDC. Not sure where you're getting your information from.

... and yet here it is with a contract not signed.

Basically every player when asked questions like that says some version of of the vanilla statement they have been trained to say “I love it here, I want to be here moving forward... blah blah blah”.  You can hear hundreds of players saying the same thing about their teams... and then they move.

The folks here translated it to “I will only play here no matter what, I have no desire to play anywhere else... even if it means the Canucks paying me way under market value”

That is the invented part.

People probably confusing him not waiving his NTC with his desire to stay in Vancouver. 

He does have a young family.  But there's a difference between being suddenly traded somewhere versus choosing the next city to live in.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Dream job..  In the most practical, hands on, live form..  Im fully licensed to create the malicious carnage and destruction of people, places and things in various forms and styles..  blood is just a colour, I step in it a lot.

I can make it snow in the summer, rain in a desert, and freeze an 80 degree Fahrenheit body of water.. 

all in the name of art and entertainment.

Ever had a dream job?..  treated fairly and been thankful for it? .. Ever shown  gratitude for being in that position and that it was not some one else?

Ever pay it back a little to get more?

Edler is looking out for himself as well as the Canucks are looking out for themselves. We will move on from Edler however Edler doesn't have to owe anybody anything. People like to throw out "it's a business" and so is this.

There is no need to be upset just because Edler didn't make you happy.

Edited by Monteeun

If Edler walks im 100% in on getting ghost from philly and keeping tanev.

Ghost tanev

Hutton stetcher

Hughes schenn

Maybe schenn gets bumped dpwn a spot by a bargain bin free agent like Engelland.

I'm okay wkth that Dcore. All this is depending on what philly wants for ghost though.

Dream job..  In the most practical, hands on, live form..  Im fully licensed to create the malicious carnage and destruction of people, places and things in various forms and styles..  blood is just a colour, I step in it a lot.

I can make it snow in the summer, rain in a desert, and freeze an 80 degree Fahrenheit body of water.. 

Ever had a dream job?..  treated fairly and been thankful for it? .. Ever shown  gratitude for being in that position and that it was not some one else?

I appreciate where you're coming from, and I don't fully disagree with you.  I'm going to assume, however, that your line of work would allows you to work until old age, or at least well into your 50's.

Edler is likely negotiating his last contract.  Unless he is hiding his talents as an amazing, rockstar, musician, there is no job out there for him that will ever bring him the fame and fortune, let alone the thrill of playing professional sports.  He has every right to test free agency, just like Jim Benning has every right to let him walk unless he signs for under market value.

Based on your assessment, one could argue that Benning is also being greedy, by asking Edler to leave MILLIONS of dollars and years of term on the table, just because Edler loves this city.

In this scenario, who is taking advantage of who?

Edited by thundernuts

52 minutes ago, Provost said:

... and yet here it is with a contract not signed.

Basically every player when asked questions like that says some version of of the vanilla statement they have been trained to say “I love it here, I want to be here moving forward... blah blah blah”.  You can hear hundreds of players saying the same thing about their teams... and then they move.

The folks here translated it to “I will only play here no matter what, I have no desire to play anywhere else... even if it means the Canucks paying me way under market value”

That is the invented part.

Lol you have no clue how contract negotiations work do you?  

You're using the fact he hasn't signed yet as your argument.... okie dokie then.

4 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Lol you have no clue how contract negotiations work do you?  

You're using the fact he hasn't signed yet as your argument.... okie dokie then.

Well, as I have sat at the main negotiating table in labour relations for large scale collective bargaining involving tens of thousands of employees... I actually do know a little about how negotiations work. 

My argument is the fact you can go back and listen to almost every pending free agent and when asked by the media, they have been trained by their representatives to give the same vanilla answer about loving their team, the city, and the fans.  Folks reading crazy stuff into bland media statements is ridiculous.

Edler having a preference to stay here... all things being equal, does not equate to him having “shown his hand” and being willing to sign here at whatever the Canucks offer like you all are saying.

Edler has all the leverage here, and will get more money and term on the open market than he is being offered.  The amount of haircut he would accept to be here is pretty minimal, if not non-existent.

The Canucks don’t have a plan B right now.

......sooooo I’m gonna take that as a no?

:bigblush:

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Well then we would have a hole on the left side instead of the right.

We dont get better subtracting edler and tanev and adding risto. If we trade tanev for risto and resign edler sure.

I'd sign some UFA's as well.. 

Besides I'm still 99% Edler's back.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1