The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alexander Edler to hit the free agency market

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You need assets to trade for guys. You need a compelling team to attract top UFA's. Benning has had the luxury of neither. I'm sure they've identified plenty FWIW.

Can you list them? A single pro scouting defenseman acquisition since Benning took over who has performed well relative to role & salary. 

1 minute ago, Tom Sestito said:

Can you list them? A single pro scouting defenseman acquisition since Benning took over who has performed well relative to role & salary. 

I don't think you read what I wrote.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Juolevi is a piece we can offer.  Virtanen as well.  For the right player I would offer up Madden as well.  There is a way to do it without adding Petey, Brock, BO or Hughes.  We have other young pieces that other teams would want.  Also taking a bad contract back is another way to do it.  Benning needs to figure it out.  Now is the time as Edler may leave and Tanev's contract is just about up.

There’s no way you’re getting a 1st pairing guy without giving up blue chip prospects or prime players in my opinion.  Juolevi was that a couple years ago.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

You talk about not having an "unjustifiable criticism, and yet people on the other side of the coin are unjustified? Is that how this works here?

I'm sitting on the fence in all of this (although I'm glad we're not having to protect him in a couple of years), but I'm not seeing you as being justified if you can't see the other side as well.

I would like to respond to you, but I don't understand if there's a point to what you're trying to say here. 

I stated what the other side is. I'm saying that is unjustifiable because it would be a hypocritical stance. 

My stance initially ommented on what has transpired. I don't see how it can be perceived as not objective. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Juolevi is a piece we can offer.  Virtanen as well.  For the right player I would offer up Madden as well.  There is a way to do it without adding Petey, Brock, BO or Hughes.  We have other young pieces that other teams would want.  Also taking a bad contract back is another way to do it.  Benning needs to figure it out.  Now is the time as Edler may leave and Tanev's contract is just about up.

Juolevi has nowhere near the value to other teams as he does for us. We NEED Juolevi to pan out because he is touted to be a higher-end defenseman, but I'm sure he'll pull through.

• Cheers 2

Jim is trying all avenues to acquire a new d-man.

I got to say that we already have 2 new d-men in Juolevi and Hughes.

If Eddie doesn't like the offer made to him then he can move on, he's the past not the future.

Edited by rawkdrummer

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You're not getting a 1st pair D for Juolevi or Virtanen. They frankly have more value to us to continue to develop than they do in trade.

Maybe not a 1st pair in your definition but a guy like Nurse is definitely doable.  He may not be a 1st pair guy but he is hard nosed, tough as nails and would fit in perfectly with our smaller young D.  He's also only 24 so he hasn't fully developed yet.  Playing in Edmonton has most likely hampered his career.  Get him out of Edmonton and the sky is the limit for him really.  I'd even take on Lucic's contract to get him.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Haha 1

I did. You said they've identified plenty. I said name them.

Identified, not acquired.

I'm not in Canuck management/pro scouting. How the hell would I know who they've identified but been unable to acquire? 

Again, you need assets to trade for guys, you need a compelling team to sign them. We've had neither.

• Upvote 1

Sad to see it end this way. 

But I'm happy for the renewal. If we're OK with a younger d core and the inevitable mistakes that come with that for a year or two this isn't the end of the world by any means. 

As @oldnews has pointed out many times now, there are lots of secondary filler options too. 

Good luck Eddie, I hope that 4 years is out there for you somewhere. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

It really depends on whether or not you like the guy.

Schenn certainly fits your bill based on role & salary, but obviously you're not going to give Benning credit there. In fact, I have no faith that you can truly be objective because you are notoriously known to be biased, which is expected on a fan site, but you really go out of your way to showcase it.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I would like to respond to you, but I don't understand if there's a point to what you're trying to say here. 

I stated what the other side is. I'm saying that is unjustifiable because it would be a hypocritical stance. 

My stance initially ommented on what has transpired. I don't see how it can be perceived as not objective. 

How is it hypocritical and how do you justify yourself as being objective by only seeing certain points while ignoring other points (such as the expansion draft)?

You want to be objective? Look at all the details and not just the ones that falsely "justify" your position. I don't mind you being critical about Benning either, I mean he has made mistakes and all, but there needs to be a good basis behind it rather than just lashing out because you have some mancrush on Edler.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Maybe not a 1st pair in your definition but a guy like Nurse is definitely doable.  He may not be a 1st pair guy but he is hard nosed, tough as nails and would fir in perfectly with our smaller young D.  He's also only 24 so he hasn't fully developed yet.  Playing in Edmonton has most likely hampered his career.  Get him out of Edmonton and the sky is the limit really.

EDM need him just as much as we do and if anything with McD wasting away and growing impatient need him more and to move UP their timeline, not BACK by acquiring a guy less along in his development.

People really need to think where we're magically getting these first pair D from before being in such a hurry to simply throw away arguably the only one we currently have.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If Edler doesn't re-sign, but also refused to waive because "he only wanted to play here" it will tarnish his entire tenure as a Canuck.

Kinda put him in the same perspective as Ehrhoff who wanted to be here, but instead chose to go to the "best chance to win a cup"

Don't get me wrong.  I love the guy.  But if he cared about the team and "only wanted to play here" but is refusing to sign unless a lot of term is added, or a big fat trade killing NTC/NMC is included and is willing to go elsewhere because of it then...it kind of proves he's not exactly being honest about things

They were not prepared to trade him. Going to him at the 11th hour when he was just injured asking to waive his NTC isnt totally on Edler.

If they were serious about moving him they should have been prepared & upfront with Edler from the outset or atleast earlier than the finals hours.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Identified, not acquired.

I'm not in Canuck management/pro scouting. How the hell would I know who they've identified but been unable to acquire? 

Again, you need assets to trade for guys, you need a compelling team to sign them. We've had neither.

I can't believe I'm reading this argument. So let me get this straight. You're saying that they've probably identified some, but they've never acquired a single good one relative to role and salary? 

You're really grasping here. I admire your belief. 

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Juolevi has nowhere near the value to other teams as he does for us. We NEED Juolevi to pan out because he is touted to be a higher-end defenseman, but I'm sure he'll pull through.

We don't necessarily need Juolevi.  We have Hughes, Stecher, Woo and even Hutton is still here.  Tryamkin on the way and Briesbois is still developing.  Even Rathbone is there for the future.  We need a hard nosed tough as nails playoff type of defenceman to take up the hard minutes.  You saw what a guy like Zadorov can do in the playoffs.  That is what we need more than Juolevi.

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

It really depends on whether or not you like the guy.

Schenn certainly fits your bill based on role & salary, but obviously you're not going to give Benning credit there. In fact, I have no faith that you can truly be objective because you are notoriously known to be biased, which is expected on a fan site, but you really go out of your way to showcase it.

I LOVED schenn down the stretch. He's still a #6-7D making over $2m. He meets the role criteria as everyone believed he was done in the NHL, but was still paid like a surefire bottom pairing defenseman. Schenn should be around a Biega level salary.

But if the only pro level acquisition in this many season is a #6-7 guy who performed well relative to role, we have an issue with our pro scouting.