The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Jets trade Jacob Trouba to Rangers for Neal Pionk, 2019 1st-round pick

4 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Manhattan is a rich area.

Never said it wasn't....my only point was that except for maybe a city like Detroit (I'm not sure there is 'rich area' there....perhaps somewhere in the suburbs?), most large North American cities will have affluent areas (where the millionaire veteran athletes will be). 

52 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I thought NYR were rebuilding, why are they trading picks? First rounders no less??!?

Rangers can afford it.. even trading that 1st round pick rangers have a total of 6 1st rounder in the last 3 draft including this year.. getting a solid young top 2 D along with the 6 1st rounder.. their rebuild is going way faster than most teams

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's pretty tough to watch. The only real tradeable asset of any value we had was Tanev, and we held onto him too long. I was actually an advocate of holding onto him and waiting for the right deal to present itself, but hindsight being what it is, that was the wrong move. 

Other than that, we've been pretty hamstrung. Everyone GMJB inherited either had no/limited value (Bieksa, Burrows), had a NTC (Edler), or was unmoveable (Sedins).

Still, it's pretty tough to watch the Rangers blow by us like this. Even if it's not entirely GMJB's fault, I imagine he'll be the sacrificial lamb if he fails to pull a rabbit out of the hat this offseason. 

Rangers will add Trouba and Fox this season. Two righties we would of loved to add. Again, no fault of JB's as I am pretty sure neither were wanting to come here or extend here. 

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, Screw said:

Nice deal for the Rangers

Yep, probably have a good chance of re-signing him given he wants to play in the states. Cue the JB haters screaming we could have given up the 10th alone - ya and lost him to UFA next year lol

16 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's pretty tough to watch. The only real tradeable asset of any value we had was Tanev, and we held onto him too long. I was actually an advocate of holding onto him and waiting for the right deal to present itself, but hindsight being what it is, that was the wrong move. 

Other than that, we've been pretty hamstrung. Everyone GMJB inherited either had no/limited value (Bieksa, Burrows), had a NTC (Edler), or was unmoveable (Sedins).

Still, it's pretty tough to watch the Rangers blow by us like this. Even if it's not entirely GMJB's fault, I imagine he'll be the sacrificial lamb if he fails to pull a rabbit out of the hat this offseason. 

Rangers will add Trouba and Fox this season. Two righties we would of loved to add. Again, no fault of JB's as I am pretty sure neither were wanting to come here or extend here. 

55 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

LOL Winnipeg basically got there pick back for truba. Could have easily kept the pick and dealt him for another first. And people is JB is a bad GM

Trouba was leaving the Jets after this year.  Likely the Rags were the only team he will extend with.  Yes, the Jets got bent over, but they were stuck.  They will need to resign Meyers now, or they are in for a serious fall in the standings.  

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Top 4 Dmen are top 4 Dmen. Regardless of their age, this trade takes a few off the market. Also, Edler is now arguably the highest end defenseman still available. 

Yeah OK, if you say so. ::D I guess we will soon find out.

29 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Not sure Pionk is a legit top 4 guy, so mid 1st & #4/5 guy for Trouba.

One year of Trouba albeit, but NYR will should be able to extend him. Ouch. 

American Kid going from Winnipeg to NYC? They just have to line up a few models and bottles and he's going to love it there. He'll re-sign for certain. What pro athlete wouldn't want to make a killing and live in NYC?

• Upvote 1

Just now, rekker said:

I do this doesn't pressure JB into overpaying for Ghost or throwing a bad contract at Gardiner. The comparisons to the NYR rebuild are going to be inevitable.

I wonder what it would take to pry Ristolainen out of Buffalo. They don't seem to be overly high on him. I saw a Sabres fan on Twitter propose a Ristolainen + 31st overall to Vancouver for 10th overall. If that were a realistic asking price for Buffalo, I would have to consider it, especially if we could then package the 31st overall with the 40th overall to move back up in the draft.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Trouba was leaving the Jets after this year.  Likely the Rags were the only team he will extend with.  Yes, the Jets got bent over, but they were stuck.  They will need to resign Meyers now, or they are in for a serious fall in the standings.  

Not sure if they can afford him ALF, they still have Laine, Connor to sign, and only 25 mil in cap space, and Morrisey next year. Laine is going to get 8 ish is my bet, Conner 6 ish so that leaves around 10 mil to fill out their roster and they have 8-9 other spots to fill. Myers is likely still gone.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, oldnews said:

People here seem to be whiffing on Pionk's value.

4 seconds less ice time than Skjei / game - who lead the Rangers blueline.

Principal penalty killer

3rd in pp ice time on their blueline - good powerplay production.

Only 44.5% ozone starts - mostly with a shutdown partner (Staal).  His next frequent partner was Skjei.

He played a huge role as a 23 yr old.

Still - the Jets divided assets here - not sure this is the kind of principal - and return - you'd expect on Trouba.  Guess their hands were tied a bit, but it's a bit underwhelming in spite of two good assets.

That's my feelings too. Pionk seems to be like Stecher, perhaps even better.

But still, if we landed Trouba for Stecher + 20th overall, I'd be dancing in the streets. So it's tough to dress this up as a positive for Jets fans.

I guess the final evaluation will depend on what kind of contract Trouba signs.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

What a good deal this is for both teams, but how does Monty feel about it ? 

Don’t really care. I care as much about this as I do about the Florida Panthers or the Arizona Coyotes. 

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I do this doesn't pressure JB into overpaying for Ghost or throwing a bad contract at Gardiner. The comparisons to the NYR rebuild are going to be inevitable.

I wonder what it would take to pry Ristolainen out of Buffalo. They don't seem to be overly high on him. I saw a Sabres fan on Twitter propose a Ristolainen + 31st overall to Vancouver for 10th overall. If that were a realistic asking price for Buffalo, I would have to consider it, especially if we could then package the 31st overall with the 40th overall to move back up in the draft.

JB may get desperate but I think it would take more to have him give up that tenth overall. 

1 minute ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Not sure if they can afford him ALF, they still have Laine, Connor to sign, and only 25 mil in cap space, and Morrisey next year. Laine is going to get 8 ish is my bet, Conner 6 ish so that leaves around 10 mil to fill out their roster and they have 8-9 other spots to fill. Myers is likely still gone.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets

Wow!  Thanks for the update on the Jet’s salary.  I thought they had their top guys signed to really good deals though.  

Interesting fallout:

The Isles were reportedly one of the frontrunners for Trouba - but few people in Long Island had an appetite for giving up Dobson to acquire Trouba.

Wondering if there's a potential Tanev deal there - RHD = Pulock, Tanev, Boychuk who is 35, (and Dobson).... with Mayfield coming the other way.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

That’s a trade that JB has to take, don’t you Think?  I like your idea of using 31 and 40 to get back into the early 20s too.  Maybe ?Seider is still there?  Imagine coming out of day one of the draft with Risto and Seider? 

• Upvote 2