The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks inquired about Sabres defenceman

13 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Ristolainen has played with plenty of good and bad defence partners and 2-way forwards over the last 6 seasons.  He's played roughly the same anemic game.

Would he do better in Vancouver?  Most likely, especially if JB can manage to keep Edler.  I just don't see Ristolainen ever being worth the current asking price.  After watching almost every NHL game he's ever played in, I've seen him stall out in his progress for too long.  Could it be past coaching, teammates, or just a badly needed change of scenery?  Sure. 

No matter the reasons, I just want him gone from the Sabres.  He's done all he'll ever do here.  Dahlin is the future of the Sabres defence, not Ristolainen.

Would O'Reilly do better in St Louis?

Risto to Van for the Cup.

Boom. 2.0.

Baertschi, Goldobin, Hutton and a 3rd.  Get er done.

Edited by oldnews
  • Haha 2

Just now, oldnews said:

Would O'Reilly do better in St Louis?

Risto to Van for the Cup.

Boom. 2.0.

:lol:

The Sabres killed ROR's will to live play the game.  He even said so himself.

I was bummed out that ROR had to be traded after speaking out because he is exactly the kind of player the Sabres need sans the emo'ness.

Risto has kept quiet and I have absolutely nothing against him personally, so wherever he goes (unless it's to the Bruins or Leafs), I hope he does great things.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

:lol:

The Sabres killed ROR's will to live play the game.  He even said so himself.

I was bummed out that ROR had to be traded after speaking out because he is exactly the kind of player the Sabres need sans the emo'ness.

Risto has kept quiet and I have absolutely nothing against him personally, so wherever he goes (unless it's to the Bruins or Leafs), I hope he does great things.

I'm with you - except where you refer to ROR's honesty and realism as 'emo'ness'. 

If more players called out their horrible franchises / incompetent management groups (is there any worse than Tim Murray? ROR was bang on) - then there might be fewer Deadmontons and Buffalos in the NHL.

Just now, oldnews said:

I'm with you - except where you refer to ROR's honesty and realism as 'emo'ness'. 

If more players called out their horrible franchises / incompetent management groups (is there any worse than Tim Murray? ROR was bang on) - then there might be fewer Deadmontons and Buffalos in the NHL.

ROR's emotions are a 2 edged sword.  It's what drives him to be the workhorse that he is and it's what won him the Conn Smythe trophy.  The other side of that is that he does not take losing gracefully.  It got him in trouble in Colorado and Buffalo.

Darcy Regier:picard:, Tim Murray:picard:, and now Botterill is beginning to worry me a bit... :(

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Not even, he's Guddy 0.1. If Bogo came up in the conversation, then it had better be to get a bunch of other assets for very little of ours in return.

I agree that I'd go after Risto for a reasonable price. I'm not looking to give up a lot though, particularly not the 10th overall in our own barn.

Yea I'd definitely rather not give up the 10th... But not sure they move him if it doesn't include the 10th... 

I wonder if they'd do something like 

2020 first rounder (lottery protected) + Hutton or something? 

Trouba went for a 20th overall and pionk... So I don't think that's a bad offer... 

Then again I'd value risto more based on his contract and cap management. 

3 minutes ago, apollo said:

Yea I'd definitely rather not give up the 10th... But not sure they move him if it doesn't include the 10th... 

I wonder if they'd do something like 

2020 first rounder (lottery protected) + Hutton or something? 

Trouba went for a 20th overall and pionk... So I don't think that's a bad offer... 

Then again I'd value risto more based on his contract and cap management. 

2020 first rounder (lottery protected) + Tanev (can retain if necessary) + one of our lesser D prospects?

I'd personally rather keep Hutton for now, as he could still turn into something. 

• Upvote 1

Only Sabres Dman, worth it for me is Dahlin and the rest I would say pass; even with Dahlin the Sabres finished worst than us.  Risto is good offensively but a liability on the defensive side; too much hype and it would take too much asset but if the price is fair why not: no 1st rounders.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I can’t see JB trading the 10th pick with the Draft in our Arena. 

I think Jim has mentioned several times that he will look at all options to improve the team. My understanding from Jim's statement is, that trading the 10th pick would be one option. I believe that Jim is very high on Broberg. Sentiment is that Broberg will not be on the board once the Canucks pick at # 10. Found this note couple weeks ago on the rumour mill:

Lavoie on the Canucks

Sportsnet 650: Renaud Lavoie on the Vancouver Canucks: “If the price is right, yes something will happen. But I don’t see the #Canucks making a splash for the sake of it. They could be 1 defenseman away from doing some damage. Those defensemen will probably be available.”

I believe that the defenseman Lavoie is referring to is Broberg. This quote was made by Lavoie before the NHL draft combine. After the NHL combine it became more and more obvious that Broberg will most likely not be on the board at #10. I  know that a team picking ahead of the Canucks  took Broberg out for dinner at the NHL combine which led to the speculation that this team will go with Broberg on draft day.

To sum it up: I could very well see Jim trading the 10th pick, even with the draft being held in VAN. Would be a cracker for the supporters Jim announcing a trade in front of the fans.

Just my 50 cents...

6 hours ago, ButterBean said:

Markstrom is one of our few assets right now. We don’t have young guys or draft picks that are expendable and most of the guys we have to trade are old and/or injury-prone. Time to sell high on Marky before his value goes down.

Fair, but at the same time that sets us back. Demko is very promising but just faced an extremely tough season. I don't think we should be throwing him to the woves yet. 

Plus (and maybe more importantly) goalies don't hold alot of value historically. So I doubt Markstrom will fetch a massive return. I doubt 'selling high' get us a huge return.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I would totally trade our 10th pick + Juolevi + Baertschi for Ristolainen.

To those that are adament that we must make our pick because we are the host city....  well, it's not like we got a top 5 pick in the first round. Secondly, you always grab an established NHLer that can help us NOW over an unknown pick! Risto got size, RH shot and pure offensively gifted... he'll do list fine when paired with a defensively minded LH d-man.

I bet you this trade announced by Bettman will generate a much bigger roar from the home crowd than whoever we are gonna pick!

That is way to much for Risto imo.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Only Sabres Dman, worth it for me is Dahlin and the rest I would say pass; even with Dahlin the Sabres finished worst than us.  Risto is good offensively but a liability on the defensive side; too much hype and it would take too much asset but if the price is fair why not: no 1st rounders.

The kid is 24, been playing in the NHL for 5 years. The defensive side will come. He’s on the brink, it’d be great to snatch him up now while the value isn’t gross

4 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

The kid is 24, been playing in the NHL for 5 years. The defensive side will come. He’s on the brink, it’d be great to snatch him up now while the value isn’t gross

For some reason i thought he was 27-28. Dont feel comfortable giving up 10th overall or jake at all though. Doubt wed have much else they would want, and jb would be willing to give up. 

8 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I would totally trade our 10th pick + Juolevi + Baertschi for Ristolainen.

To those that are adament that we must make our pick because we are the host city....  well, it's not like we got a top 5 pick in the first round. Secondly, you always grab an established NHLer that can help us NOW over an unknown pick! Risto got size, RH shot and pure offensively gifted... he'll do list fine when paired with a defensively minded LH d-man.

I bet you this trade announced by Bettman will generate a much bigger roar from the home crowd than whoever we are gonna pick!

Massive overpayment 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

For some reason i thought he was 27-28. Dont feel comfortable giving up 10th overall or jake at all though. Doubt wed have much else they would want, and jb would be willing to give up. 

2020 first + Stecher + prospect/pick for Risto

Draft Broberg and add Risto and the D is set for many years.  I hope to not trade this years first but I would if needed.  This is the big move that is needed for this year.

19 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

2020 first + Stecher + prospect/pick for Risto

Draft Broberg and add Risto and the D is set for many years.  I hope to not trade this years first but I would if needed.  This is the big move that is needed for this year.

Im very aware you have to give to get, but giving up firsts with a gm whos best skill is amateur scouting makes me cringe.