The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks inquired about Sabres defenceman

7 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

@SabreFan1 is probably laughing at the offers on the last few pages and so is the Sabre’s GM. People here are way undervaluing what it would take to get Ristolainen.

People just aren't getting it through their heads that the market demand for a player determines his worth.  Risto is on a cheap contract for another few seasons and with the cap being 1.5 million lower than previously expected, his demand/worth just went up even higher. 

Add that to the fact that Botterill can't afford to screw up another trade so the last thing he'll be trading for is other team's extra parts and project players.  He did that with ROR and we all know how that turned out.

One of two things is going to happen with Risto.  The Sabres will sit on him at least until the TDL or they will accept a can't refuse over-payment for him. 

Risto has 3 seasons left on his contract so when it comes down to it, the Sabres don't have an absolute need to trade him so if a team wants him they'll have to make a high offer.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

But proposals start the conversation,  whether it’s on these boards..  on over the GM’s telephone.

Do you really think a GM would just double down to get a player in an opening conversation..

it all about wants and needs.

.. but to just sit back and scream the “sky is falling”.. like you are.. well that’s kind of redundant.

How is thinking those offers are easily beat able, the sky is falling?  

Be honest with yourself and ask, if I were the other team, would I take the deal?  

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

People just aren't getting it through their heads that the market demand for a player determines his worth.  Risto is on a cheap contract for another few seasons and with the cap being 1.5 million lower than previously expected, his demand/worth just went up even higher. 

Add that to the fact that Botterill can't afford to screw up another trade so the last thing he'll be trading for is other team's extra parts and project players.  He did that with ROR and we all know how that turned out.

One of two things is going to happen with Risto.  The Sabres will sit on him at least until the TDL or they will accept a can't refuse over-payment for him. 

Risto has 3 seasons left on his contract so when it comes down to it, the Sabres don't have an absolute need to trade him so if a team wants him they'll have to make a high offer.

The Sabres are nuts to trade Risto.  That's my view.  They have Dahlin to play top pair minutes.  Sign another D man to play the top pair minutes with Dahlin.  Play Risto second pair, and no more than 20 minutes a game.  

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

But proposals start the conversation,  whether it’s on these boards..  on over the GM’s telephone.

Do you really think a GM would just double down to get a player in an opening conversation..

it all about wants and needs.

.. but to just sit back and scream the “sky is falling”.. like you are.. well that’s kind of redundant.

Who are the posters on here starting a negotiation conversation with? I didn't realize these proposals were simply a starting point for negotiations with Sabres fans..

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

How is thinking those offers are easily beat able, the sky is falling?  

Be honest with yourself and ask, if I were the other team, would I take the deal?  

It finding out what each other is looking for..  knowing what is ON the table starts the conversation.

You tell me what you would offer?

Then tell me what would make the deal?

you gotta have something here,. Or are you just trolling?

47 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Who are the posters on here starting a negotiation conversation with? I didn't realize these proposals were simply a starting point for negotiations with Sabres fans..

So what?  ... this isn’t just opinionated conversation?

This is all for REAL !?!?

OMG!   Where am I?.. is this Earth?

... sorry,   That’s how I feel.:picard:

23 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

It finding out what each other is looking for..  knowing what is ON the table starts the conversation.

You tell me what you would offer?

Then tell me what would make the deal?

you gotta have something here,. Or are you just trolling?

I try to not make trade proposals. More often than not, it makes you look stupid.  

That is for the kids in the proposals forum. 

Answer me this.  

You have a 24 year old, right shot defensemen. 

6’4”. 215 pounds. 

He is a consistent 40+ point player. 

Would you accept 2 seconds for him? 

Hell no

Tanev is basically worth a 2nd right now. 

Would you take a broken, downtrending Tanev and a second for that dman?

Absolutely not. 

Even if they added a Virtanen type player, would you take that deal?   

Honestly, I wouldn’t even consider it.  

young, big, point getting RHD or Tanev, Jake and a 2nd.  

Really?     Come on now. 

Edited by drummerboy

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The Sabres are nuts to trade Risto.  That's my view.  They have Dahlin to play top pair minutes.  Sign another D man to play the top pair minutes with Dahlin.  Play Risto second pair, and no more than 20 minutes a game.  

I hope they trade him, but they may end up keeping him since he'll be worth the same next year, barring injury, as he is this year.

20 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I try to not make trade proposals. More often than not, it makes you look stupid.  

That is for the kids in the proposals forum. 

Answer me this.  

You have a 24 year old, right shot defensemen. 

6’4”. 215 pounds. 

He is a consistent 40+ point player. 

Would you accept 2 seconds for him? 

Hell no

Tanev is basically worth a 2nd right now. 

Would you take a broken, downtrending Tanev and a second for that dman?

Absolutely not. 

Even if they added a Virtanen type player, would you take that deal?   

Honestly, I wouldn’t even consider it.  

young, big, point getting RHD or Tanev, Jake and a 2nd.  

Really?     Come on now. 

Ive never mentioned Virtannen,  some body else did..  I’m not for moving the Tuna  at this point.

I’ve said all along that I think Tanev and a 2nd starts the conversation..  

to add to that would probably cater to The Sabres future needs..  so what MIGHT their needs be?

Tanev could do well in their D core..  a second rndr,.  and maybe Dipietro comes into the conversation.

like I have stated before, it all depends on Buffalos NEEDS..  Is it NOW? Is it the FUTURE?.. is it a bit of both?

Buffalo management has stated nothing..  they’re dangling Risto as bait just to see what it attracts.. it’s optics for there fan base.

receiving 1st rnd picks aren’t always the best scenario.. throwing your eggs into one basket can fail you.

Ristolianen is good, but everything I’ve read has him underperforming in the Sabres eyes.. Sabres Management has stated that.

So..  We would be taking a chance too.

What would you offer for Ristolianen?

Sabres seem to be desperate to part ways with Ristolainen.

Sabres shopping Ristolainen

WGR 550: “Nothing much is happening around the league over the last few days. A lot of teams have turned their direction to July 1st. I was told that the #Sabres are shopping Rasmus Ristolainen hard. Nobody told me that he’s asked for a trade, but we’ll see how it turns out.”

Now may be time to move Ristolainen

Howard Simon of WGR 550: Rasmus Ristolainen is only 24-years old and has 424 NHL games under his belt already. There are plenty of “ifs” surrounding his game and if he should be traded.

Ristolainen still has value around the league and with the holes in the Sabres roster – No. 2 and at least one top-six winger – now may be the time to move him. He has three years left on his deal at a $5.4 million cap hit.

Getting back to your question Silent Sam:

Sabres seek to strengthen their top 6: why not offering Baertschi + Tanev (50% retained) to the sabres?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

WGR 550: “Nothing much is happening around the league over the last few days. A lot of teams have turned their direction to July 1st. I was told that the #Sabres are shopping Rasmus Ristolainen hard. Nobody told me that he’s asked for a trade, but we’ll see how it turns out.”

Howard Simon of WGR 550: Rasmus Ristolainen is only 24-years old and has 424 NHL games under his belt already. There are plenty of “ifs” surrounding his game and if he should be traded.

"I'm your Huckleberry" - Benning

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Sabres seek to strengthen their top 6: why not offering Baertschi + Tanev (50% retained) to the sabres?

Probably because they can likely do far better.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Ristolainen still has value around the league and with the holes in the Sabres roster – No. 2 and at least one top-six winger – now may be the time to move him. He has three years left on his deal at a $5.4 million cap hit.

If this talk is still continuing in Buffalo. I would pursue a trade for Ristolianen harder than a signing for Myers.

Ristos contract, age, and stats peg him to be a better player than Myers over the next couple of years.

... there were articles that Buffalo felt stacked with good D men a couple of seasons ago , perhaps this is the bubble bursting so to speak..  espescially with the Extorsion Draft looming

but to understand what Buffalos needs are is the bigger picture in this..  I don’t think that Buffalo  Management has even identified their own needs,.   This sounds like a shopping situation hoping that a 1st round pick gets thrown in the basket,  rather than the exchange of a good player to fill a certain team need.

Buffalo doesn’t seem to have a plan, except to move a player that they might well lose in the EDraft for nothing.

At some point, not having that plan will turn into panic.. perhaps tha time is at christmas

Edited by SilentSam

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

but to understand what Buffalos needs are is the bigger picture in this..  I don’t think that Buffalo  Management has even identified their own needs,.   This sounds like a shopping situation hoping that a 1st round pick gets thrown in the basket,  rather than the exchange of a good player to fill a certain team need.

Buffalo doesn’t seem to have a plan, except to move a player that they might well lose in the EDraft for nothing.

At some point, not having that plan will turn into panic.

1.  The Sabres' biggest need is scoring forwards.  That's why they overpaid Skinner.  Anyone who watches the Sabres knows that.

2.  Botterill openly said at the draft the other day that he would trade his second 1st rounder for an NHL player.  Does that sound like a guy/team wanting more picks for their "basket"?  Botterill has absolutely no use for more draft picks that won't be in the league until after he's fired.  His seat is warming up now so he needs players that can contribute now.

3.  The Sabres would not leave Risto exposed in an expansion draft.  He's on a cheap contract and has worth in a trade.  They aren't exactly teeming with players that should be protected.  Their depth sucks and they could part with their entire bottom 6 tomorrow and replace them with cheap mediocre free agents and barely even skip a beat.

In what world does having a top pairing d-man that you want to trade "turn into panic"?

26 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

1.  The Sabres' biggest need is scoring forwards.  That's why they overpaid Skinner.  Anyone who watches the Sabres knows that.

2.  Botterill openly said at the draft the other day that he would trade his second 1st rounder for an NHL player.  Does that sound like a guy/team wanting more picks for their "basket"?  Botterill has absolutely no use for more draft picks that won't be in the league until after he's fired.  His seat is warming up now so he needs players that can contribute now.

3.  The Sabres would not leave Risto exposed in an expansion draft.  He's on a cheap contract and has worth in a trade.  They aren't exactly teeming with players that should be protected.  Their depth sucks and they could part with their entire bottom 6 tomorrow and replace them with cheap mediocre free agents and barely even skip a beat.

In what world does having a top pairing d-man that you want to trade "turn into panic"?

Panic?    How about when you miss the playoffs for 8 consecutive years.. 

By comparison, 8 years ago the Canucks were in a Stanley Cup Final.

The below quoted is the opening paragraph from an article written this past April, I have attached the link to that article as well :

A promising start to 2018-19 ending badly for the Buffalo Sabres. After sitting in first place in the Atlantic Division on Nov. 27 and still holding a playoff berth on New Year's Day, the Sabres stumbled through the second half of the schedule and missed the playoffs for the eighth straight year.

Heading into his third offseason as the Sabres general manager, Jason Botterill is likely feeling pressure from the club's ownership and long-suffering Buffalo fans to jump-start a stalled rebuild. He wasted little time shaking things up behind the bench, firing head coach Phil Housley after two disappointing seasons.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/nhl-rumors-sabres-gm-jason-botterill-facing-a-critical-offseason/l76j8qf0fjjt1w1ins5splq4g

36 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

looking at the depth chart, yeah it drops off like a cliff after Skinner, Eichel and Sammy. But all we can offer really is something like Tanev + Virtanen and while that would certainly improve Buffalo it aint gonna happen for Risto. But I'm not convinced anyone else is going to offer more. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Panic?    How about when you miss the playoffs for 8 consecutive years.. 

By comparison, 8 years ago the Canucks were in a Stanley Cup Final.

The below quoted is the opening paragraph from an article written this past April, I have attached the link to that article as well :

I know the history of the Sabres.  How would panic selling a top pairing d-man help Botterill and/or the organization?

You've now made 2 stupid posts in a row.  Wanna try for 3?