The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks inquired about Sabres defenceman

Just now, SilentSam said:

Now your turning your situation into a joke.

Actually, I'm a bit worried about Botterill.  He did the best he could with the Kane trade and got a half decent return, but how poorly he did with the ROR trade could be a career ender for him especially if he loses his job with the Sabres before redeeming himself.  He better pray he doesn't screw up the Risto trade.

It can take years for an organization to recover from three bad GM's in a row if Botterill proves to be no better than his predecessors.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Actually, I'm a bit worried about Botterill.  He did the best he could with the Kane trade and got a half decent return, but how poorly he did with the ROR trade could be a career ender for him especially if he loses his job with the Sabres before redeeming himself.  He better pray he doesn't screw up the Risto trade.

It can take years for an organization to recover from three bad GM's in a row if Botterill proves to be no better than his predecessors.

If that does end up being the case, hopefully anything that happens can be at least mitigated by your young core. I wouldn't wish the down times Buffalo's had over the past 10+ years on any team.

21 minutes ago, tas said:

uhhh ... maybe in buffalo they can't afford dictionaries?

Screenshot_20190626-144321_Chrome.jpg

Uhh, or maybe we can both cherry pick definitions.

panic. noun. Definition of panic - a sudden unreasoning terror often accompanied by mass flight widespread panic in the streets.

Like I said one is a noun, the other is an adjective (an actual action).  Even your cherry picked definition backs me up.

Try again?

*edit*  Apparently it isn't obvious that I'm pointing out the way that the words were previously used.  Cherry picking other definitions, like I even showed can be done here, proves nothing.

Edited by SabreFan1

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Uhh, or maybe we can both cherry pick definitions.

panic. noun. Definition of panic - a sudden unreasoning terror often accompanied by mass flight widespread panic in the streets.

Like I said one is a noun, the other is an adjective (an actual action).  Even your cherry picked definition backs me up.

Try again?

that's not what you said though. you said desperation was a noun and panic was a verb. the first listed definition of panic is a noun. 

Edited by tas

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

If that does end up being the case, hopefully anything that happens can be at least mitigated by your young core. I wouldn't wish the down times Buffalo's had over the past 10+ years on any team.

They fell apart after 2011 after the owner came in and handed Darcy Regier a blank cheque.  He then took too long to fire him and then replaced him with a poor GM in Tim Murray.

The sad thing is that even up to several years ago, the Sabres were a top 5 team in all-time regular season record percentage.  Of course much lower than that in playoff percentage.

Now they're probably middle of the pack in all-time regular season and same in playoffs since they haven't been there in 8 years.

5 minutes ago, tas said:

that's not what you said though. you said desperation was a noun and panic was a verb. the first listed definition of panic is a noun. 

The way that he was using it was a verb?  How did you not get that?

Wow, all this conversation's really telling me is how bad of a language English is.

Panic is a noun.

Panicked or panicking is the verb.

It is also an adjective, which is what I think was the intent of use here.

Edited by The Lock

Just now, The Lock said:

Wow, all this conversation's really telling me is how bad of a language English is.

Panic is a noun.

Panicked or panicking is the verb.

panic is also a verb. like in the sentence, "don't panic!" for example. 

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

That's an adjective. lol

(I edited my post above and added it)

yeah it's definitely a verb though. an adjective is a word that describes a noun, like beautiful, or terrible. 

Just now, tas said:

yeah it's definitely a verb though. an adjective is a word that describes a noun, like beautiful, or terrible. 

This is why English is a terrible language. I've literally gone through 3 dictionaries online and none of them had panic as a verb. I get what you are saying and I'm not going to say you're wrong, but for some reason the dictionaries don't see it as a verb, at least the ones I checked.

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

This is why English is a terrible language. I've literally gone through 3 dictionaries online and none of them had panic as a verb. I get what you are saying and I'm not going to say you're wrong, but for some reason the dictionaries don't see it as a verb, at least the ones I checked.

both dictionary.com and merriam-webster list the verb version ...

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Panic
verb

1. 1.
    feel or cause to feel panic.
  • Upvote 1

Good grief.  I started a conversation on elementary English. :picard:

In University years ago I did free tutoring for some people in English.  It's been more than 2 decades since.  I really should get that urge under control... <_<

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

...and what type of word is desperate?  Say it with me.....  A noun.  Not an actual action/adjective like panic is...

Cmon SF1.. you are possibly the Sabres truest fan..  you have the foresight to see things progress ahead of time,.  Why can’t a GM?

im not sure of Botterhills contract, but if they don’t make the playoffs this season , I doubt he see’s his draft acquisitions flourish from the Management pressbox in the future thereafter.

maybe he needs to see the urgency?