The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Afraid or Not , 1rst for 4th liner

Rate this topic

ItTakesAnArmy

As the draft gets closer and nothing with the Canucks is happening combined with Benning trying to save his job.

Rumors abound about the #1 pick in play for some team's cap relief cast off and the need for the the club to make a splash.

The  cap relief cast off is an exaggeration as there are no particular players mentioned except Ghost, the Canucks #1 - 10th overall pick for Ghost, another undersized dman.

I think most true fans understand this team needs another 2 or 3 years of rebuilding to fill most of the necessary spots to become Cup contenders.

IMO things to be worried about to do with the team;

Trading away picks for immediate mid range players

Signing bad contracts for older UFA's

Not using the cap space wisely, using it up rather than as an advantage for picks.

Ignoring next year's draft, probably the best in 20 years

Not thinking more than 6 months ahead.

Getting fleeced, trading away what decent prospects the team does have either in the minors or Europe for roster spot players

Not planning for what other teams will be doing

Or Not

Benning has never made more than two - three mistakes

Trust that his UFA contracts will not handcuff the team in 3 years

Trust his highly developed and much talked about scouting and player evaluation skills and then wait up to 4 years to see results

All the media are wrong, ignore them.

Re-explain what Benning means, redefine what he says for comfort.

The draft is in 2 days, going? I am.

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy
  • Upvote 1

I think that, until the cap for next year is announced, teams are going to be cautious in what they do.

There's a growing consensus that the cap isn't going to rise to 83 as expected and one of the writers over at Sportsnet just did an interesting read on it, see link below:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/three-reasons-nhl-salary-cap-get-tighter/

If he's right, and I've kind of had a feeling that they have been pushing it up faster than it really should be.

His take is interesting in that players are trying to reduce Escrow and potentially eliminate it, but that won't happen if it keeps growing at this rate.

Now, for Canucks fans. If the cap only went up to say 81.5 or 82 million instead of the 83 million that was projected, from a salary management standpoint, it really means very little. Now, for teams like Vegas, Pittsburgh, Tampa and Toronto, it would make a bad situation, much worse. 1.5 million might not sound like much in the NHL, but when you're Toronto and you have 17 guys under contract for next year, already down to a projected 8.8 million in space to work with and one of the guys you have to sign is Marner who isn't likely to sign for less than 11 million, you're in trouble if that number comes in south of 83. Even if they find someone to take Horton off their hands, (which they will), and someone to take Marleau, (which they will), Cap only going to 82, would still leave them 19.35 to work with and subtracting Marleau means that they would be down to 16 guys under contract. Assuming Marner is 11 million, that leaves them with 8.35 and Kapanen has to be at least 3.5 million of that.

We have cap space, if we're patient, there should be opportunities to exploit that.

Personally, I'd happily take Marleau off their hands for the remaining year on his deal and let Pettersson absorb everything he can from him if we could maybe pry Kapanen free as well?

Maybe something like:

To Vancouver:

Marleau (no hold back on salary)

Kapanen

2020 2nd round pick

To Toronto:

Goldobin

Hutton

2020 4th round pick

Times are going to be tough for some teams if that article is right, we just need to be patient in how we approach things and enjoy the opportunities before things get really tight for us in a few years.

• Upvote 1

I clicked on this thread thinking it was about some new movie by Jordan Peele :P

Truthfully, I am finding myself more afraid with every transaction not involving us that could affect us.  I have not been this nervous about a draft or FA in a long time. This team is finally headed in the right direction and one or two bad moves could change that drastically. I need someone to talk me off the ledge lol. 

Are you aware of how the media has changed its tune over the past 24 months from constantly questioning to open admiration of what Bennings been doing on the sly all along?  It’s not accidental or a fluke, he’s genuinely a decent manager, just becuase he doesn’t openly discuss his plans doesn’t mean he doesn’t have one.

I agree that more patience is required as we are far from a contender at this point, much work needs to occur on the defense and we still need at least one other star winger and better support in the top six.  

Not a lot of help is on the way other then OJ and Woo....absolutely we need another great draft if not two or three.  

Horvat is going to be to us what Stamkos is to TB currently, A UFA before this team is close to contending.  With the exception that Stamkos’s team has been close since the days St Louis was his wingman.    

Thankfully there is time to make this work, when Boeser, EP and Hughes are in their prime there should be a lot of other names supporting them from behind, one of them from this draft, plus two more the next few drafts and three of four very good upgrades on guys like Sutter, Schaller, Motte, Granlund, Bear, Stetcher, Hutton, etc...the Woo’s Maddens, Tryamkins and Linds of the universe.    He’s averaging a couple rookies a year now, and it should keep up for a few more years ...  the 2021-2026 time period is our window.  Next year rinse and repeat. 

• Upvote 2

I trust that the people being paid to make decisions about the Canucks and their future know a lot more about the business of hockey than I do.  They also have a lot more riding on the outcome of their decisions than I do.  I'm here for the entertainment, both on CDC and that provided by the Canucks and by the NHL.  I'd love at some point in the future for us to win the ultimate prize so we can celebrate like St. Louis is.  

• Upvote 4

To say: to save his job is a bit misleading. He gets one more year minimum. His contract isn't up until next summer.  

I'm excited to see what happens. I shocked over the Dahlen trade but hey. Parts come and parts go. I'm curious what D we can add. 

If we have no new D after July 1 then I'll get worried.

Edited by Rush17
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

To say: to save his job is a bit misleading. He gets one more year minimum. His contract isn't up until next summer.  

I'm excited to see what happens. I shocked over the Dahlen trade but hey. Parts come and parts go. I'm curious what D we can add. 

If we have no new QUALITY D after July 1 then I'll get worried.

FIFY :towel:

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think that, until the cap for next year is announced, teams are going to be cautious in what they do.

There's a growing consensus that the cap isn't going to rise to 83 as expected and one of the writers over at Sportsnet just did an interesting read on it, see link below:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/three-reasons-nhl-salary-cap-get-tighter/

If he's right, and I've kind of had a feeling that they have been pushing it up faster than it really should be.

His take is interesting in that players are trying to reduce Escrow and potentially eliminate it, but that won't happen if it keeps growing at this rate.

Now, for Canucks fans. If the cap only went up to say 81.5 or 82 million instead of the 83 million that was projected, from a salary management standpoint, it really means very little. Now, for teams like Vegas, Pittsburgh, Tampa and Toronto, it would make a bad situation, much worse. 1.5 million might not sound like much in the NHL, but when you're Toronto and you have 17 guys under contract for next year, already down to a projected 8.8 million in space to work with and one of the guys you have to sign is Marner who isn't likely to sign for less than 11 million, you're in trouble if that number comes in south of 83. Even if they find someone to take Horton off their hands, (which they will), and someone to take Marleau, (which they will), Cap only going to 82, would still leave them 19.35 to work with and subtracting Marleau means that they would be down to 16 guys under contract. Assuming Marner is 11 million, that leaves them with 8.35 and Kapanen has to be at least 3.5 million of that.

We have cap space, if we're patient, there should be opportunities to exploit that.

Personally, I'd happily take Marleau off their hands for the remaining year on his deal and let Pettersson absorb everything he can from him if we could maybe pry Kapanen free as well?

Maybe something like:

To Vancouver:

Marleau (no hold back on salary)

Kapanen

2020 2nd round pick

To Toronto:

Goldobin

Hutton

2020 4th round pick

Times are going to be tough for some teams if that article is right, we just need to be patient in how we approach things and enjoy the opportunities before things get really tight for us in a few years.

Doesn’t Marleau have to accept this though?  And why should he, TO isnt a bad gig if your into that sort of thing (which a lot of Canadian boys are)... I agree that TO is really in for it.  Dubas isn’t reallly good at numbers.   

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Doesn’t Marleau have to accept this though?  And why should he, TO isnt a bad gig if your into that sort of thing (which a lot of Canadian boys are)... I agree that TO is really in for it.  Dubas isn’t reallly good at numbers.   

Its widely reported that Marleau and Toronto are parting ways. Toronto can't afford to keep him and he's stated that he is interested in being back on the West Coast.

I don't think there's anything written in stone that Marleau gets moved, but I don't see how Toronto will be able to fit everyone in without that.

Even if he is moved, I actually doubt that it would be to Vancouver, but in the right deal, wouldn't mind that. I think Pettersson etc, could learn a lot from his experience.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Its widely reported that Marleau and Toronto are parting ways. Toronto can't afford to keep him and he's stated that he is interested in being back on the West Coast.

I don't think there's anything written in stone that Marleau gets moved, but I don't see how Toronto will be able to fit everyone in without that.

Even if he is moved, I actually doubt that it would be to Vancouver, but in the right deal, wouldn't mind that. I think Pettersson etc, could learn a lot from his experience.

At only one year remaining, taking on a 6 million cap dump (with a prospect and/or pick) I’d do it if I was Jim. Just don’t let the returning piece be Zaitsev. Plus if we are out of the playoff picture and want to sell off any worthy assets at the TDL, we get another piece out of this echoing trade. Weaponize that cap space Jimmy! 

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Upvote 1