The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Afraid or Not , 1rst for 4th liner

Rate this topic

ItTakesAnArmy

34 minutes ago, the grinder said:

im  a lil afraid of benning in the  free agent market, , Roussel was a good signing , beagle was ok a lil too much money , vanek was good   the rest  ugh ,  if we have to replace edler , via ufa be afraid very afraid 

97AC540F-E37B-4B5F-9111-482E756B3901.gif

12 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Its widely reported that Marleau and Toronto are parting ways. Toronto can't afford to keep him and he's stated that he is interested in being back on the West Coast.

I don't think there's anything written in stone that Marleau gets moved, but I don't see how Toronto will be able to fit everyone in without that.

Even if he is moved, I actually doubt that it would be to Vancouver, but in the right deal, wouldn't mind that. I think Pettersson etc, could learn a lot from his experience.

Has he learned not to drop the gloves with smaller guys that can fight?  Probably, thank you Beiksa for showing him the light.  And driving Eager nuts and scoring on a floater from the blue line.   Pass on Marleau unless Kapanen is coming too.   They have to pay up to get their problems fixed and personally l don’t want to be part of the solution unless a good player is coming our way. They can’t keep all of them under the cap... and one year of Marleau isn’t that exciting unless something pretty good is added...

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I think this off season will come down to the last few standing around at the dance. We will be one of them and may benefit greatly from the cap going down a little and some desperation from cap teams. 

I’m completely ok with Benning standing pat and not getting stuck with what musical chair of overpayment happens with this crop of UFAs.  If anything do what he’s done to the forward group but in the back end (Stralman, McQuaid etc).  Small deals that make sense just to shore things up and toughen us up more...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I’m completely ok with Benning standing pat and not getting stuck with what musical chair of overpayment happens with this crop of UFAs.  If anything do what he’s done to the forward group but in the back end (Stralman, McQuaid etc).  Small deals that make sense just to shore things up and toughen us up more...

Yeah with a butter soft team we'd never get farther, especially in the playoffs...

Nothing will change if we don't toughen up. Definitely need a good balance, plus protection for Alien especially.

• Cheers 1

Lacking any other big news Benning might over pay Boeser and give him Mathews type money justifying that if Mathews and Marner are two of the top player for TO, then the Brock is the same.

Now Boeser is good, but not the same animal, Horvat is more important to the team than Brock at this time and so far in all important categories, health, position and effect on the team.

2 hours ago, apollo said:

Not afraid. Excited. 

Say what you want but the guy drafted the best player in the draft with a 5th overall pick and he got another potential superstar in Brock at 23 overall. 

Very comfortable with JB at the helm. 

The best player can be subjective, Dahlin is only 18 and played on a bad team and he did exceptionally good, Elias was older and got preferred starts. One player got more points and productivity.

So far and most likely Elias will be the cream of the crop but if that many kudos are given out for a success then the same should be considered if it is a failure if not more as one failure of a top draft pick affects the team for years. The failure of Olli Juiloevi and partial failure of Jake Virtanen to play up to their draft pick status are huge mistakes by the club costing years for recovery if that happens, if they keep on this way the team will need to rebuild again in 3 years trying to get the players closer in age.

5 years have passed and the gap between the good players is opening, the trick is to have most of them within 5 years of each other.

A success of a pick ranked in the top eight should be accepted as standard fare, a failure as a tremendous blunder. Over the last few years there have less than 10 massive misses and Benning has two of them in the last 4 years.

There are no prospects for the team to trade and hardly any playing in Utica.

• Wat 1

18 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Lacking any other big news Benning might over pay Boeser and give him Mathews type money justifying that if Mathews and Marner are two of the top player for TO, then the Brock is the same.

Now Boeser is good, but not the same animal, Horvat is more important to the team than Brock at this time and so far in all important categories, health, position and effect on the team.

Boeser will make more then Horvat undoubtedly, that’s what happens when the cap goes up...the same way Horvat makes more then Tavares did on his last deal.   As long as it matches  up with a similar skill set by position with what’s been signed recently (Nylander, Aho, Rantanen, Laine etc) or is about to we shouldn’t be worried about it too much.   No way he’s getting AM type money, that’s ridiculous.  I’d expect it to be a similar deal as Tarasenko got if it’s long term, and I’d be fine with that too as we’d have him around when then rebuild sticks and we are playoff bound year to year.   The second half of his contract will be more then palatable and we have the cash now ...

22 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm just along for the ride and enjoying every minute of it.  With that, I'd love to beef up our d and am super reluctant to sign long term contracts with other team's cast offs.  Been there, done that.

It is possible for the Canucks to buy out Tryamkin's contract, it is done frequently in the KHL, that would help and not cost anything except money, they could get into the Myers bidding in a big way and quite possibly sign him, that would be two over 6'6" that can skate, LD and RD, retain Schenn as a depth/mentor player and pay him accordingly even if in the AHL, Hutton over 6'2" and Tanev at 6'2" help beef up the back end in size, Tryamkin showed he can stand in there to defend his team mates. Getting another or upgrades would be good, Gardinier is just a younger more expensive Tanev but he might be healthier.

It doesn't all have to be done this year anyway, next  year there is another draft class, much more skilled and deeper than this years as well as free agency and who knows with the Seattle expansion and possible lockout the landscape will change.

But bringing back Tryamkin would be seen as a positive by most fans without taking any chances, a win - win move.

Just now, ItTakesAnArmy said:

step into the light.....he is in his last year, no contract for next year, working to save his job, his contract get it?

I'm in the light, he will manage the same way he always has. It 's a hit n miss business - he will stay the course I'm sure.

Are you Tony Gallagher's nephew or something?

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Doesn’t Marleau have to accept this though?  And why should he, TO isnt a bad gig if your into that sort of thing (which a lot of Canadian boys are)... I agree that TO is really in for it.  Dubas isn’t reallly good at numbers.   

I think Marleau said he'd be okay with a trade (I recall someone on Sportsnet saying this. Might have been on Tim and Sid I dunno), which makes me wonder if he and management agreed that one day he may be asked to waive. A return to the west coast via Vancouver ain't so bad especially if none of the Cali teams are interested. Similar to Miller after his St Louis stint. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Lacking any other big news, Benning may overpay and rent an elephant as his ride to the entry draft.

Just thought I'd add to the list of things that aren't going to happen that you started.

• Haha 4

Uh oh , I heard that Benning not only believes Elvis is still alive but he is also going to be hotly pursuing him in free agency. It's believed that if he misses out on Elvis he will settle for Bat Boy. Also hearing rumblings he wants the team to get bigger and hairier.  Have to think that Sasquatch is a target.