The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Afraid or Not , 1rst for 4th liner

Rate this topic

ItTakesAnArmy

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Lacking any other big news, Benning may overpay and rent an elephant as his ride to the entry draft.

Just thought I'd add to the list of things that aren't going to happen that you started.

I'd pay to see that. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, 6string said:

I'm in the light, he will manage the same way he always has. It 's a hit n miss business - he will stay the course I'm sure.

Are you Tony Gallagher's nephew or something?

hit and miss?

That is why they get paid the big bucks so they don't miss, any miss is supposed to be devastating not "oh well, next time"

Because i don't agree with all you i am Gallagher's nephew? Compared to you i would embrace that notion, better to have original thought than just holding onto the tail in front.

Hey don't you post under the name coastal.view

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Its widely reported that Marleau and Toronto are parting ways. Toronto can't afford to keep him and he's stated that he is interested in being back on the West Coast.

I don't think there's anything written in stone that Marleau gets moved, but I don't see how Toronto will be able to fit everyone in without that.

Even if he is moved, I actually doubt that it would be to Vancouver, but in the right deal, wouldn't mind that. I think Pettersson etc, could learn a lot from his experience.

Maybe he and Eriksson could be the foundation pieces for "Cocoon III"

Edited by Googlie
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Lacking any other big news, Benning may overpay and rent an elephant as his ride to the entry draft.

Just thought I'd add to the list of things that aren't going to happen that you started.

I started? Are you cutoff from the media world? I am sure you don't live in the basement and the list is just a list until something happens, many of which are media fare right now on various areas.

And a rumor is a rumor until it is not, rumored trade happens, then it was not a rumor, it was a foretelling or guess or hearsay or a leak or anything you like.

I have noticed that several of you type and post similarly even though you have different names, you are even one at a time sometimes, how many fake accounts to you people have?

4 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

I started? Are you cutoff from the media world? I am sure you don't live in the basement and the list is just a list until something happens, many of which are media fare right now on various areas.

And a rumor is a rumor until it is not, rumored trade happens, then it was not a rumor, it was a foretelling or guess or hearsay or a leak or anything you like.

I have noticed that several of you type and post similarly even though you have different names, you are even one at a time sometimes, how many fake accounts to you people have?

Granted I don't listen to sports radio 24/7, but I have never heard a rumor of Boeser getting anywhere near 11+ million a season.

1 hour ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

It is possible for the Canucks to buy out Tryamkin's contract, it is done frequently in the KHL, that would help and not cost anything except money, they could get into the Myers bidding in a big way and quite possibly sign him, that would be two over 6'6" that can skate, LD and RD, retain Schenn as a depth/mentor player and pay him accordingly even if in the AHL, Hutton over 6'2" and Tanev at 6'2" help beef up the back end in size, Tryamkin showed he can stand in there to defend his team mates. Getting another or upgrades would be good, Gardinier is just a younger more expensive Tanev but he might be healthier.

It doesn't all have to be done this year anyway, next  year there is another draft class, much more skilled and deeper than this years as well as free agency and who knows with the Seattle expansion and possible lockout the landscape will change.

But bringing back Tryamkin would be seen as a positive by most fans without taking any chances, a win - win move.

If Tryamkin came back he'd be a HUGE asset, both literally and figuratively.   I think the prospect of that happening is much brighter with some of our newer/recent additions.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

hit and miss?

That is why they get paid the big bucks so they don't miss, any miss is supposed to be devastating not "oh well, next time"

Because i don't agree with all you i am Gallagher's nephew? Compared to you i would embrace that notion, better to have original thought than just holding onto the tail in front.

Paying the big bucks isn't a factor in hit or miss.  You're dealing with individuals - people - athletes.  Some pan out, others don't but it can't always be predicted with accuracy.  Which is why we have some surprise late round picks.

There is no way to nail this down with certainty.    Sure...most #1 picks are what they're advertised as...but not everyone gets the luxury of those.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Paying the big bucks isn't a factor in hit or miss.  You're dealing with individuals - people - athletes.  Some pan out, others don't but it can't always be predicted with accuracy.  Which is why we have some surprise late round picks.

There is no way to nail this down with certainty.    Sure...most #1 picks are what they're advertised as...but not everyone gets the luxury of those.

During the Hawks rebuild they got Toews and Kane with top picks, but the also missed with a top pick in Jack Skille.  Teams miss, even in the top 10.  JB has done really well in the draft.  Our young core looks very good.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

As soon as Dhaliwal confirms this I am gonna buy my tickets to the draft.

• Haha 1

There's too much of a plan in place with everyone buying in for Jim to get trigger happy and make dumb moved simply because his contract is due after this season - why would he wreck his own personal brand by being a flake? The answer is he won't. He and his team will make the right move(s) if they can and stick to the plan. Then he will get renewed and see his plan through. Ever since getting the full green light from FA, Benning has been on a roll. I fully expect it to continue.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

If CDC was in charge, I'd be worried about panic movies. Watching most of this website knot it's panties over the game of chicken Edler's agent and Benning are playing has been endlessly amusing. But it should give you some indication on how 'panicked' Benning and Co are (not at all).

• Haha 1

Konecny

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I invest zero time worrying about this stuff.   It changes nothing.

I think the team has the best handle on what is needed - the problem, even with "true" fans, is that they often don't consider what it entails to actually make it happen.  It isn't just a matter of identifying wants/needs then addressing them.  You have to negotiate with others and sometimes their ideas differ and you have to make adjustments and be flexible.  It doesn't always happen exactly as we'd like.

We're not watching Master Chef, where the pantry opens and you just run off and grab what you need.

Players, agents and other teams all have a say.  And everyone is trying to do/get what's best for their interests.

I want to remain a young, fast team but also really see the glaring deficiency in toughness that's needed in the playoffs.  It's a bit of a juggling act to balance it all out and with limited resources and every team grappling for the same things, it's about supply/demand.  

I feel like we've done well - Petey being the latest and most prominent example of that.  People jeered that pick and were crying over the ones that got away...so maybe even the true fans don't always know what's best.

I'm just along for the ride and enjoying every minute of it.  With that, I'd love to beef up our d and am super reluctant to sign long term contracts with other team's cast offs.  Been there, done that.

Great post.  I remember the meltdown that happened in that draft thread and being in a small minority who actually liked the pick.  If it was up to me, we'd have picked Konecny and Mittlestadt instead of Boeser and EP.  Pretty sure Benning knows what he;s doing here.  People were whining about Beagle and Roussel but they were 2 of the guys who did their jobs better than most last year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

hit and miss?

Give us the names of GM's who never missed, I am 6string since 2012.

I grew up 4 blocks away from the Pacific Coliseum, other than Keenan years I am deeply loyal to our home team and currently a big Benning supporter.

5 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

The best player can be subjective, Dahlin is only 18 and played on a bad team and he did exceptionally good, Elias was older and got preferred starts. One player got more points and productivity.

So far and most likely Elias will be the cream of the crop but if that many kudos are given out for a success then the same should be considered if it is a failure if not more as one failure of a top draft pick affects the team for years. The failure of Olli Juiloevi and partial failure of Jake Virtanen to play up to their draft pick status are huge mistakes by the club costing years for recovery if that happens, if they keep on this way the team will need to rebuild again in 3 years trying to get the players closer in age.

5 years have passed and the gap between the good players is opening, the trick is to have most of them within 5 years of each other.

A success of a pick ranked in the top eight should be accepted as standard fare, a failure as a tremendous blunder. Over the last few years there have less than 10 massive misses and Benning has two of them in the last 4 years.

There are no prospects for the team to trade and hardly any playing in Utica.

Calling OJ a failure and JV a partial failure is short sighted, just because your not an instant superstar does not mean failure or partially. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Calling OJ a failure and JV a partial failure is short sighted, just because your not an instant superstar does not mean failure or partially. 

Yeah, every time I see someone calling OJ or Jake failures, it's so silly it makes me wonder, is this poster a troll or a simpleton?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

During the Hawks rebuild they got Toews and Kane with top picks, but the also missed with a top pick in Jack Skille.  Teams miss, even in the top 10.  JB has done really well in the draft.  Our young core looks very good.  

Yeah but they hit on alot of late round picks. Niklas hjalmarsson wa missed by alot of teams in the 2005 draft and more then made up for the skille miss.