The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Afraid or Not , 1rst for 4th liner

Rate this topic

ItTakesAnArmy

11 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

I think most true fans understand this... team needs another 2 or 3 years of rebuilding to fill most of the necessary spots to become Cup contenders.

There's no such thing as a "true" fan.  There are smart fans, clueless fans, hardcore fans, bandwagon fans.  In the end, we're all fans.

Except for the ones that cheer for the Bruins.  They're turncoats.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

I don't think anyone is scared of JB picking, some are scared of what he might do o. The trade and FA front.

I doubt it... lesson learned i think, LE was a seemingly can't miss signing for the twins and most of us thought it was a great snag but who knew he'd stop posting 30 goal seasons and tank out with that kind of talent to play along side... i thought with the twins he'd pull 30-35 easy.. 

That paragraph from a TSN article is very worrying. Sounds like Benning is going to pull a Benning level move in the same vein as Forsling for Clendenning or shudder, a Gudbranson 2.0 move. 

I hope our fan base is not homer enough to support him if he did something like our 10th overall and Karlsson for Bogosian. A move like that has Benning screaming all over it. Get a lot older and massively overpay.

6BD0A65D-A6AA-4EC3-889E-319A6956C809.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

That paragraph from a TSN article is very worrying. Sounds like Benning is going to pull a Benning level move in the same vein as Forsling for Clendenning or shudder, a Gudbranson 2.0 move. 

I hope our fan base is not homer enough to support him if he did something like our 10th overall and Karlsson for Bogosian. A move like that has Benning screaming all over it. Get a lot older and massively overpay.

6BD0A65D-A6AA-4EC3-889E-319A6956C809.jpeg

Do you believe everything you read?  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BlueDragon23 said:

I am not afraid. I’m excited for what Benning will do. He has learned from his mistakes for the most part, and is fully committed to our younger faster team.

If he was desperate and trying to save his job, he’d have fired Travis Green, traded some of our elite young players to “win now” mentality and be preaching about being a playoff team that can compete for the Cup, blah...blah...blah. I have seen none of that. He’s well aware of what the team needs and who needs to go. If you follow Benning’s drafting, he has made some stellar picks without any top 4 selections. There is a solid plan on the rebuild train,  and he is not going to derail it. 

CDC can get quite ridiculous over things that may not even happen. 

That's because they believe what media says.. lame as that sounds, it's true.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, 6string said:

Give us the names of GM's who never missed, I am 6string since 2012.

I grew up 4 blocks away from the Pacific Coliseum, other than Keenan years I am deeply loyal to our home team and currently a big Benning supporter.

You mean less than Benning? Start with the letter "A" and continue. Benning,  Assets for expiring FA's - Fail, Old FA's signed to good contracts without clauses - 2 out of 8 - Fail, Successful top 10 draft picks playing on the team - 4 out of 7 - Fail.

Sorry we didn't start the rebuild sooner

Sorry we traded away draft picks instead of acquiring more

Sorry we ARE NOT a competitive team - They lose 40% more games than they win - 35 W - 47 L last year

Sorry we don't have any prospects that other team want

Sorry we didn't get anything for our departing FA players

Sorry we have to raise ticket prices

Sorry but it looks like another 3 years of this, but we are not sure because each year we thought the team was a playoff team.

Someone posted about other teams that missed a single 1 round pick, look at the ramifications of those misses the additional years of ineptitude those teams suffered and the moves made by ownership, people were fired.

Everyone posts that these guys are paid millions because they know more so how on earth can they be held to the same expectations of fans? They are the geniuses of running teams, their job is to not make the same mistakes as an amateur.

"Love" is never having to say your sorry.

Benning never says sorry, he loves the silence of the lambs

9 hours ago, BlueDragon23 said:

I am not afraid. I’m excited for what Benning will do. He has learned from his mistakes for the most part, and is fully committed to our younger faster team.

Hamhuis, Edler, Mathias, Vrbata, Miller a learning curve and now Tanev. What do you think he will do?

NYR committed to be a younger faster team 18 months ago and they are way ahead of the Canucks, how many more years of learning from mistakes not yet made or those still being made?

If he wants to have his contract renewed he almost has to make the playoffs at least OR have the team set up to have numerous extra draft picks for next year and to get even more via expansion protection and taking on bad contracts.

18 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Hamhuis, Edler, Mathias, Vrbata, Miller a learning curve and now Tanev. What do you think he will do?

NYR committed to be a younger faster team 18 months ago and they are way ahead of the Canucks, how many more years of learning from mistakes not yet made or those still being made?

If he wants to have his contract renewed he almost has to make the playoffs at least OR have the team set up to have numerous extra draft picks for next year and to get even more via expansion protection and taking on bad contracts.

Then go cheer for the Rangers. Honestly this is the 2nd time I have said this in the last 24 hours. Comparing the Canucks to the Rangers is stupid. I’m not wasting my time and energy arguing with people who can’t or refuse to understand this.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

14 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Then go cheer for the Rangers. Honestly this is the 2nd time I have said this in the last 24 hours. Comparing the Canucks to the Rangers is stupid. I’m not wasting my time and energy arguing with people who can’t or refuse to understand this.

Comparing? You mean like standings? Why do you think they play against each other?

Sorry, but posting like that is trolling, you don't care about comparing the Canucks to other teams. What are you a fan of?

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

You mean less than Benning? Start with the letter "A" and continue. Benning,  Assets for expiring FA's - Fail, Old FA's signed to good contracts without clauses - 2 out of 8 - Fail, Successful top 10 draft picks playing on the team - 4 out of 7 - Fail.

Sorry we ARE NOT a competitive team - They lose 40% more games than they win - 35 W - 47 L last year

Sorry but it looks like another 3 years of this, but we are not sure because each year we thought the team was a playoff team.

Someone posted about other teams that missed a single 1 round pick, look at the ramifications of those misses the additional years of ineptitude those teams suffered and the moves made by ownership, people were fired.

Everyone posts that these guys are paid millions because they know more so how on earth can they be held to the same expectations of fans? They are the geniuses of running teams, their job is to not make the same mistakes as an amateur.

Thats because clueless ppl have demanded a win now scenario for years and finally someone has been smart enough to say no... not to mention when benning took over this team was laughable at best... even when we were "good" it was only for the season and never for the playoffs as butter soft will get nowhere, yet the thoughts of most fans was get all highly skilled undersized players and look where that will get you.. you want of that i suppose?

Until people realize it takes the proper mix of skill and toughness to win the cup, things are never going to change and there will never be a cup in vancouver. Like that idea? It's not a problem getting the superstars, its about the best supporting cast thats so difficult and i think its people like you thinking that anyone will do anything to come play here in vancouver but its the opposite, lots of players wont come here and i dont blame them, i wouldn't  either. Remember JR? Typical example... 

Edited by iceman64
  • Upvote 1

On 6/18/2019 at 11:19 AM, VegasCanuck said:

I think that, until the cap for next year is announced, teams are going to be cautious in what they do.

There's a growing consensus that the cap isn't going to rise to 83 as expected and one of the writers over at Sportsnet just did an interesting read on it, see link below:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/three-reasons-nhl-salary-cap-get-tighter/

If he's right, and I've kind of had a feeling that they have been pushing it up faster than it really should be.

His take is interesting in that players are trying to reduce Escrow and potentially eliminate it, but that won't happen if it keeps growing at this rate.

Now, for Canucks fans. If the cap only went up to say 81.5 or 82 million instead of the 83 million that was projected, from a salary management standpoint, it really means very little. Now, for teams like Vegas, Pittsburgh, Tampa and Toronto, it would make a bad situation, much worse. 1.5 million might not sound like much in the NHL, but when you're Toronto and you have 17 guys under contract for next year, already down to a projected 8.8 million in space to work with and one of the guys you have to sign is Marner who isn't likely to sign for less than 11 million, you're in trouble if that number comes in south of 83. Even if they find someone to take Horton off their hands, (which they will), and someone to take Marleau, (which they will), Cap only going to 82, would still leave them 19.35 to work with and subtracting Marleau means that they would be down to 16 guys under contract. Assuming Marner is 11 million, that leaves them with 8.35 and Kapanen has to be at least 3.5 million of that.

We have cap space, if we're patient, there should be opportunities to exploit that.

Personally, I'd happily take Marleau off their hands for the remaining year on his deal and let Pettersson absorb everything he can from him if we could maybe pry Kapanen free as well?

Maybe something like:

To Vancouver:

Marleau (no hold back on salary)

Kapanen

2020 2nd round pick

To Toronto:

Goldobin

Hutton

2020 4th round pick

Times are going to be tough for some teams if that article is right, we just need to be patient in how we approach things and enjoy the opportunities before things get really tight for us in a few years.

You are mostly on point, except Marleau has a full NMC and would only agree to the trade if we buy him out. Marleau will only agree to waive in T.O. to go back to the Sharks. The Leafs have to find a willing partner to trade him to that will buy him out for them so San Jose can afford to sign him. I'd be all over that to get Kapanen on the cheap, probably for less than your offer but they can't take salary back so Hutton doesn't work. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/sharks/nhl-rumors-patrick-marleau-only-wants-trade-sharks-maple-leafs

26 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

You are mostly on point, except Marleau has a full NMC and would only agree to the trade if we buy him out. Marleau will only agree to waive in T.O. to go back to the Sharks. The Leafs have to find a willing partner to trade him to that will buy him out for them so San Jose can afford to sign him. I'd be all over that to get Kapanen on the cheap, probably for less than your offer but they can't take salary back so Hutton doesn't work. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/sharks/nhl-rumors-patrick-marleau-only-wants-trade-sharks-maple-leafs

Agree completely that its unlikely that he will accept to be moved to Vancouver, and I can't imagine a team being willing to accept a trade and then buy him out, considering his contract is pretty much buyout proof at this point, according to CapFriendly.com, he'd still be a 6.25 million cap hit for the 2019 / 20 season, that's a lot to ask a team to do for you.

Personally, I don't see any scenario where he returns to the Sharks, not after them signing Karlsson. It would completely restrict their ability to make other moves and be competitive.

7 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

la.jpg.79e75a78ecf22f54afa77c6019f554fa.jpg  You're ranting like your Uncle Tony Gallagher now   :)

• Haha 1