The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Afraid or Not , 1rst for 4th liner

Rate this topic

ItTakesAnArmy

19 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

There's no such thing as a "true" fan.  There are smart fans, clueless fans, hardcore fans, bandwagon fans.  In the end, we're all fans.

Except for the ones that cheer for the Bruins.  They're turncoats.  

Meh... debluvscanucks on here is as close to a true fan as i've seen, smart but also patient and doesn't have the "win now at any cost" stupidity of some so called fans on here..

1 hour ago, Tomatoes11 said:

No but that type of move fits Benning like a glove unfortunately.

Do you realize that the majority of those moves BEFORE the retool then retool was just to ice a team that would do "ok" until the bad contracts with clauses that were left by Gillis expired and he could finally go to work and actually start a real rebuild was all that he was doing was biding his time? Do you actually get that? I hope so... LE was part of that by the way, and everyone including media, fans and other GM's stated it was a great move at the time but it was to keep the team competitive while the twins could still help fill the seats until it was retirement time for them, previously as you probably know LE hit 30 goals before with the B's so it seemed a no brainer but who knew he'd just tank? No one... look JB isn't perfect but he's learning as ANYONE would but you continue to say it's impossible but it isn't... he has learned and i bet we retain 50% of LE's contract and get rid of him but that's the last bad one we have and i don't expect another one anytime soon... those saying Lucic for LE is a possibility but i can't see that happening simply for the reason we need to give roster spots to guys who can help us more and Lucic isn't that guy so why do it? 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, spur1 said:

No worries mates. Jimmy has got this. 

Finally one of the few with a brain... watched JB's last interview when the FA's were brought up and his response was of the near future signings of your young guys so he's not going to be throwing around money on big fish so thanks for being clued in on it and not like some of the clueless on here. Benning will keep improving the team steadily and that's all i want to see, all the old guard is gone so a pretty clean slate for him to work with for a change. So yeah Jimmy will get it done! _uck the haters! :D

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Do you realize that the majority of those moves BEFORE the retool then retool was just to ice a team that would do "ok" until the bad contracts with clauses that were left by Gillis expired and he could finally go to work and actually start a real rebuild was all that he was doing was biding his time? Do you actually get that? I hope so... LE was part of that by the way, and everyone including media, fans and other GM's stated it was a great move at the time but it was to keep the team competitive while the twins could still help fill the seats until it was retirement time for them, previously as you probably know LE hit 30 goals before with the B's so it seemed a no brainer but who knew he'd just tank? No one... look JB isn't perfect but he's learning as ANYONE would but you continue to say it's impossible but it isn't... he has learned and i bet we retain 50% of LE's contract and get rid of him but that's the last bad one we have and i don't expect another one anytime soon... those saying Lucic for LE is a possibility but i can't see that happening simply for the reason we need to give roster spots to guys who can help us more and Lucic isn't that guy so why do it? 

Lol cute how the Benning defenders believe that you actually have to buy time during a complete tear down. 

Its ridiculous how people actually think rebuilding now vs rebuilding 5 years ago is okay. 

Edited by Tomatoes11

21 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Thats because clueless ppl have demanded a win now scenario for years and finally someone has been smart enough to say no... not to mention when benning took over this team was laughable at best... even when we were "good" it was only for the season and never for the playoffs as butter soft will get nowhere, yet the thoughts of most fans was get all highly skilled undersized players and look where that will get you.. you want of that i suppose?

Until people realize it takes the proper mix of skill and toughness to win the cup, things are never going to change and there will never be a cup in vancouver. Like that idea? It's not a problem getting the superstars, its about the best supporting cast thats so difficult and i think its people like you thinking that anyone will do anything to come play here in vancouver but its the opposite, lots of players wont come here and i dont blame them, i wouldn't  either. Remember JR? Typical example... 

There is a win now scenario, it is called selling the future to barely make the playoffs. ANYTHING can happen in the playoffs, ya right.

No I am not a win today fan but i can't see how trading away picks and trading for small men or compromising the cap and taking up roster spots younger player should be tried out in helps the team.

Everyone has heard of the sophomore jinx, the second year pro, not all have one but when the team needs to have 3 or 4 more core pieces to be truly competitive IMO spreading those 3 or 4  over the time frame it has taken so far or as demonstrated by Benning's plan, will take another 5 or more years. That is why i compare to teams like NYR, NJD, Chicago, Boston, Toronto even Buffalo and Edmonton, for the good or the bad examples of rebuilding, which side to do you think the Canucks are on?

I don't believe the rebuild should stop for another 2 seasons.

11 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Why? All Gillis players agreed to waive their clauses and the Sedins were never asked to.

Are you trying to suggest that Burrow's and Edler's no trade deals were cause to forgo rebuilding?

By not asking the Sedins to waive they adopted those contracts as their own, apparently it would not have mattered if they had clauses or not. Remember it was the president of the club and the GM that stated they would not ask the Sedins to waive.

No not everybody thought the signing of Eriksson was a good deal and again if anyone had looked they would have seen that he played with Boston's top pairing forwards and their wingers had scored, sort of like a winger with the Sedins, they all had career years playing with them. Eriksson had been decling for years, he had 2 - 30 goal seasons years apart and only had really good seasons in year his contract expired.

Lucic brings more to the team on the ice than Eriksson, he is not the player he was but probably with Lucic will come an asset that will help the team in another year and that is a win. He can be trailer with Boeser and Pettersson or the net front presence, he would be the biggest forward and nastiest.

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy

The Edler signing is okay but it is keeping the team the same.

Hopefully comparing that the team could worse without him is not the reason for declaring a win for the club.

Nothing has changed other than the team is spending more for the same.

Lucic - Eriksson

Both have to have expansion protection, both have signing bonuses

Lucic & JP?  A good deal for the Canucks even if the Canucks have to retain some salary. Benning threw picks around for players that never made it so not much difference except JP may have the highest ceiling of all his past efforts. Even maybe cap retention AND a later pick 3rd or older prospect that hasn't made the NHL yet, Lind or Ostervitch,

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy

On 6/18/2019 at 10:54 AM, ItTakesAnArmy said:

As the draft gets closer and nothing with the Canucks is happening combined with Benning trying to save his job.

What on earth are you trying to say/manufacture here?    The Canucks management team seem very active by all accounts and they are prioritizing moves with existing personnel while they kick tires on deals.   Why on earth would this make you "afraid".   Afraid of what?     Are you an Oilers fan and are afraid a Western rival is showing you with all your first overall and much higher draft picks over past 10 years that rebuilding can happen?    

I am not sure you understand that someone "doing" their job also allow them to continue doing that job is not the same as someone "saving" their job.   It is not something to save if it is not a risk due to good performance.

What is the fixation with drama creation the past few days on CDC?

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Why? All Gillis players agreed to waive their clauses and the Sedins were never asked to.

Are you trying to suggest that Burrow's and Edler's no trade deals were cause to forgo rebuilding?

By not asking the Sedins to waive they adopted those contracts as their own, apparently it would not have mattered if they had clauses or not. Remember it was the president of the club and the GM that stated they would not ask the Sedins to waive.

No not everybody thought the signing of Eriksson was a good deal and again if anyone had looked they would have seen that he played with Boston's top pairing forwards and their wingers had scored, sort of like a winger with the Sedins, they all had career years playing with them. Eriksson had been decling for years, he had 2 - 30 goal seasons years apart and only had really good seasons in year his contract expired.

Lucic brings more to the team on the ice than Eriksson, he is not the player he was but probably with Lucic will come an asset that will help the team in another year and that is a win. He can be trailer with Boeser and Pettersson or the net front presence, he would be the biggest forward and nastiest.

Good Gawd I miss the minus.    PLEASE Mods!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Good Gawd I miss the minus.    PLEASE Mods!

Why?

I thought it was a reasonable response to blaming an emloyee for problems 6-7 years later.

And i have not seen any posts that show that Benning and Linden adopted the Sedins and were not going to trade them so if was their decision not to rebuild.

I see Gillis constantly blamed for Benning and Linden doing nothing, I see clause contracts being used as excuses.

Gillis is blamed for a poor prospect pool but where are the Benning prospects? Guadette? Isn't he a Gillis pick?

If Gillis can be constantly brought up years later then why not things in between? Surely you don't still blame the last 6 years on Gillis and Benning is saintly white and pure?

18 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Why?

Rhetorical question?   The rest of your post is your answer.    

Wow, just wow.   Oh, and if you are going to get a prospect's era wrong as you did with Adam Gaudette (he was drafted by Benning and co. in the fifth round of 2015 draft where Boeser was taken at 23), at least spell his name correctly.

29 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What on earth are you trying to say/manufacture here?    The Canucks management team seem very active by all accounts and they are prioritizing moves with existing personnel while they kick tires on deals.   Why on earth would this make you "afraid".   Afraid of what?     Are you an Oilers fan and are afraid a Western rival is showing you with all your first overall and much higher draft picks over past 10 years that rebuilding can happen?    

I am not sure you understand that someone "doing" their job also allow them to continue doing that job is not the same as someone "saving" their job.   It is not something to save if it is not a risk due to good performance.

What is the fixation with drama creation the past few days on CDC?

I am not manufacturing anything here, yes there are rumors of them "kicking the tires" but what they to offer if not the better younger players, the older players have clause contracts that also have very large contracts.

Doing their job? Again they had a 100 point team and ended up with a team that has not won more games than they lost and is hovering near the bottom of the league for years now, the team is smaller, should have had numerous more picks, should have or could have had at least two or three more impact players drafted.

While Boeser and Pettersson are superb draft picks, other teams have more picks also playing major roles as well, there have been no trades that have made a difference, the team still lost ground or treaded water, it does appear that they may have found replacements for the Sedins, but even having the Sedins was not enough.

How is performance measured in a competitive league? The standings by chance?

Why should it take 8 or 9 years for a rebuild? Many teams are quicker, Boston, Toronto, NYR, NJD and even Chicago may pass the Canucks in their re-tooling.

Why is it necessary to only bring up the "good" even if that good is subjective and without evidence on paper? Many keep saying how much better the team is but it still loses more games than it wins, quite possibly they thought the team was getting better in Edmonton year after year as well.

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Rhetorical question?   The rest of your post is your answer.    

Wow, just wow.   Oh, and if you are going to get a prospect's era wrong as you did with Adam Gaudette (he was drafted by Benning and co. in the fifth round of 2015 draft where Boeser was taken at 23), at least spell his name correctly.

Gaudette was the result of Gillis getting the extra pick, Benning was trading picks away that year. Hence the Gillis pick.

2 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

I am not manufacturing anything here, yes there are rumors of them "kicking the tires" but what they to offer if not the better younger players, the older players have clause contracts that also have very large contracts.

Doing their job? Again they had a 100 point team and ended up with a team that has not won more games than they lost and is hovering near the bottom of the league for years now, the team is smaller, should have had numerous more picks, should have or could have had at least two or three more impact players drafted.

While Boeser and Pettersson are superb draft picks, other teams have more picks also playing major roles as well, there have been no trades that have made a difference, the team still lost ground or treaded water, it does appear that they may have found replacements for the Sedins, but even having the Sedins was not enough.

How is performance measured in a competitive league? The standings by chance?

Why should it take 8 or 9 years for a rebuild? Many teams are quicker, Boston, Toronto, NYR, NJD and even Chicago may pass the Canucks in their re-tooling.

Why is it necessary to only bring up the "good" even if that good is subjective and without evidence on paper? Many keep saying how much better the team is but it still loses more games than it wins, quite possibly they thought the team was getting better in Edmonton year after year as well.

tenor.png

• Haha 1