The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Federal Government Approves TMX Pipeline Again - Update: Supreme Court Dismisses Appeal

DonLever

1 minute ago, Shift-4 said:

there would be the same environmentalist uproar in B.C. if a refinery were built?

Should result in cheaper gas for B.C., and then maybe more gas and less oil getting shipped through the all the Southern Gulf Island/San Juan Island groups. win/win.

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

Should result in cheaper gas for B.C., and then maybe more gas and less oil getting shipped through the all the Southern Gulf Island/San Juan Island groups. win/win.

Agreed. 

But this isn't what I am asking. Big push to block pipeline for environmental reasons. Wouldn't you see the same for a refinery? 

11 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Agreed. 

But this isn't what I am asking. Big push to block pipeline for environmental reasons. Wouldn't you see the same for a refinery? 

Ultimately money talks, the enviro types  and corporate interests will just have to compromise.

I'd give the environmental protesters credit for pushing the government to actually live up to their commitment to build spill response ships.

• Cheers 1

If every hypocrite that complains about oil and pipelines and global warming just stopped using oil we wouldn’t need to build any pipelines. The demand would drop, the price would drop and it would no longer be a profitable resource. I find it hilarious how you all enjoy the standard of living you have yet have no concept of how that standard of living is created. The world consumes 100,000,000 Bbls of oil a day. It has gone up 1-2m bbls a day every year since the 70’s. If all of Canada didn’t use a drop of oil. Global consumption would drop to 98,000,000 a day. Within 2 years, the growing consumption of the underdeveloped world would completely offset that.

Canada and Norway are in a completely different class when it comes to regulation and environmental responsibility. Because these countries are so Liberal their product gets bastardized by the media, Canada more-so  For example. You are no longer allowed to flare gas in Canada. That’s a really, really huge deal. If Canada took more of the global market share it would actually be far better during this period of transition because we are in a class of our own. Our cost per bbl is higher because of the regulations which would eventually bleed into a higher Bbl and drive down demand. Electric cars are a start, but they aren’t really the answer yet. Imagine the amount of mining that would be required to convert the majority of the worlds transportation into electric. Then what about disposal of these batteries? The energy that will one day replace non-renewables does not exist yet. The world is addicted to oil, civilization  cannot exist today without it. The only way we it be can eliminated is to eliminate civilization. We literally have to go back to throwing rocks and start all over. 

I just wish people would see the reality of our situation and have an open mind. Seriously picture in your mind what 100,000,000 bbls of oil a day looks like. If you cannot understand this reality then get a head start on the fall of civilization,  give it all up, and walk into the woods.

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Construction on TMX starting?  Contractors and workers told to get ready?

Stupid Trudeau always cancelling energy projects

don't be fooled Hip, at any moment Trudeau's gong to put the brakes on it because of all the bad stuff Albertans have said about his dad. 

2 hours ago, Violator said:

Double meat day.

Construction us starting in one month.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Construction on TMX starting?  Contractors and workers told to get ready?

Stupid Trudeau always cancelling energy projects

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hey good for you - glad one of our own CDCrs are benefitting. 

don't be fooled Hip, at any moment Trudeau's gong to put the brakes on it because of all the bad stuff Albertans have said about his dad. 

Well boys I think a guy will be havin a extra pinch of copenhagen tonight. You missed a good tractor pull in Airdrie last weekend hip.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well boys I think a guy will be havin a extra pinch of copenhagen tonight. You missed a good tractor pull in Airdrie last weekend hip.

Congrats on the new vaca mobile

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm a skoal man myself.

Don't much care for tractor pulls.  A lot of pageantry for a way to prove whose tractor can tug the most rope.  With a bunch of boys in the stands tugging their own rope.  

KoS seems preoccupied by it though

Edited by Warhippy
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I'm a shoal man myself.

Don't much care for tractor pulls.  A lot of pageantry for a way to prove whose tractor can tug the most rope.  With a bunch of boys in the stands tugging their own rope.  

KoS seems preoccupied by it though

Me either....give me some sort of outdoor activity, like canoeing.....

Of course, if you're in Alberta, you always have to be aware of the wildlife:

Spoiler

image.png.157b716b2fc28ce6f2c6e64532c1e973.png

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Federal Court of Appeal to rule on whether to let pipeline challenges proceed

The Federal Court of Appeal is to reveal today whether a new set of legal challenges to the Trans Mountain pipeline project can proceed.

Ottawa has twice approved a plan to twin an existing pipeline from Alberta's oilpatch to the B.C. coast.

Last year, the Federal Court of Appeal tore up the original approval, citing both an insufficient environment review and inadequate consultations with Indigenous communities.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tmx-legal-challenges-1.5269605

33 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Federal Court of Appeal to rule on whether to let pipeline challenges proceed

The Federal Court of Appeal is to reveal today whether a new set of legal challenges to the Trans Mountain pipeline project can proceed.

Ottawa has twice approved a plan to twin an existing pipeline from Alberta's oilpatch to the B.C. coast.

Last year, the Federal Court of Appeal tore up the original approval, citing both an insufficient environment review and inadequate consultations with Indigenous communities.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tmx-legal-challenges-1.5269605

Yah, the Chinese tar sands are at risk.....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/china-alberta-oil-1.5159407

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Federal appeals court approves six First Nations challenges of Trans Mountain pipeline

Environmental challenges were dismissed, disappointing those groups

https://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news/federal-appeals-court-approves-six-legal-challenges-of-trans-mountain-pipeline/

If you want a job in the Alberta patch going forward ( with the current trend of chinese ownership.... ) . you will need to speak Mandarin........

17 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

If you want a job in the Alberta patch going forward ( with the current trend of chinese ownership.... ) . you will need to speak Mandarin........

I think some of the entry level positions will take you without Mandarin.....but you do have to know how to play Mah Jong...

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Federal appeals court approves six First Nations challenges of Trans Mountain pipeline

Environmental challenges were dismissed, disappointing those groups

https://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news/federal-appeals-court-approves-six-legal-challenges-of-trans-mountain-pipeline/

it was a smart move by the Fed's to let the courts nix the environmental challenges vs. stepping in and doing it themselves. It ends any future challenge from these groups. 

But doesn't stop mouthpieces like Michelle Rempel from claiming Trudeau is 'anti pipeline' and against AB. If Trudeau did it her way, it would leave open future challenges, this way the courts have shut the door on the environmental challenges. Just another example of why AB needed a move a way from the Harperite style of thinking on this file. 

it was a smart move by the Fed's to let the courts nix the environmental challenges vs. stepping in and doing it themselves. It ends any future challenge from these groups. 

But doesn't stop mouthpieces like Michelle Rempel from claiming Trudeau is 'anti pipeline' and against AB. If Trudeau did it her way, it would leave open future challenges, this way the courts have shut the door on the environmental challenges. Just another example of why AB needed a move a way from the Harperite style of thinking on this file. 

Does it mean they can't take those Environmental challenges to the Supreme Court?

450px-Canada_Court_System.svg.png

Edited by Mackcanuck