The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Making a case for re-signing Luke Schenn

I believe that Luke Schenn established himself as a solid role player for the rebuilding Canucks.  He brought grit, tenacity, and toughness to the table for Vancouver, taking on the responsibility of being the team’s tough guy and stepping up to protect the roster’s young talent when it was needed.  Schenn also took Quinn Hughes under his wing for the rookie’s first five games in the majors, acting as a calming influence both on the ice and on the bench in-between shifts. I believe that Luke Schenn was truly a Hit with the Vancouver Canuck Fans! The #Schenn-O-Meter was awesome to watch! The Canucks’ should have one up for the home games on the jumbotron next season! We could call him the #Schenninator.  I truly believe that Schenn can play the role of a critical shutdown defenseman and that is crucial for the Vancouver Canucks aspirations of one day lifting the Stanley Cup. #Schenn2Sign #SchennersHome #Canucks

What are your thoughts?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Would love to have him back as 6-8 D man. 

Genuinely seemed to have a mutual good time playing with Quinn. 

Don't think he will be his regular partner for long though.  

He played pretty well for us when he was here.  Moved his feet well, provided toughness and decent play.

Thought he played his way into a depth role. 

Seems like the type of guy who could also be moved at deadline for a low pic or prospect.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I am not convinced that the Schenn we saw is the Schenn we will see every game.  He was playing for his career last season and everyone knew it.

Still, he showed capability to play like that and he is an ideal 7th guy for us.  You know that means he will likely be full time with our injuries....

I can see a guy like him an asset in the playoffs too.

I agree with 2 years, 1.5 per.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CanucksSuperfan16 said:

I believe that Luke Schenn established himself as a solid role player for the rebuilding Canucks.  He brought grit, tenacity, and toughness to the table for Vancouver, taking on the responsibility of being the team’s tough guy and stepping up to protect the roster’s young talent when it was needed.  Schenn also took Quinn Hughes under his wing for the rookie’s first five games in the majors, acting as a calming influence both on the ice and on the bench in-between shifts. I believe that Luke Schenn was truly a Hit with the Vancouver Canuck Fans! The #Schenn-O-Meter was awesome to watch! The Canucks’ should have one up for the home games on the jumbotron next season! We could call him the #Schenninator.  I truly believe that Schenn can play the role of a critical shutdown defenseman and that is crucial for the Vancouver Canucks aspirations of one day lifting the Stanley Cup. #Schenn2Sign #SchennersHome #Canucks

What are your thoughts?

I agree.  He earned a deal here for sure.  I think he showed well enough that he may get a fair amount of interest around the league.  I'd love to see him on a 2 yr deal, even if he ends up as our 7 or 8 D.

• Like 1

It appears to be unanimous to this point that Schenn fits in as the veteran block for the new core.

I loved watching him shove people around after the whistle!

Edited by 6string
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, CanucksSuperfan16 said:

What are your thoughts?

I'm all for re-signing Luke Schenn.  He proved he can still play in this league in a limited role at a reasonable price.

But seriously...can we take deep breath here!  He played 18 games for us averaging less than 15 minutes per night, while being a -4.     If Schenn is going to be a critical shutdown defenseman and crucial for a Stanley Cup, technically we would need to pay him 4-5M$ per night.   The truth is, Schenn played well in a limited role and that's all he's going to be a bottom 6 guy, that may have to make 1-2 trip in the pressbox during the season.  If we ask him to be a shutdown #4 and ask him to play 18-20 minutes per night, that's when he'll get in trouble again.

Bottom 6 guy, can't pay him more than 2M$....otherwise let someone else make the mistake of overpaying for him.

Edited by timberz21
  • Like 1

He's what this team needs (ie virtanen role model). Hes had highs and lows in this league and still pushes on and toughs it out. The easiest thing to teach a professional is how to win, the most difficult is how to lose. He's done both and I would say the younger players need that.

• Like 1