The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Jets & Canucks Trade

To Winnipeg: 2020 1st round pick (top 5 protected, then 2021 top 2 protected), Jake Virtanen

To Vancouver: Nikolaj Ehlers, Matthew Perreault, conditional draft pick (2020 3rd rounder if the Canucks are in the lottery next year).

Why for Vancouver: The Canucks add an elite potential young (23) left winger on a long-term (6 years) cost controlled contract of $6 million per year.  He's the perfect player to complete the top line along with Petterson and Boeser.  Giving up Virtanen and the 2020 1st is a high price, but the Canucks won't want to part with their 1st rounder this year, since it's 10th overall and the draft is in Vancouver.  This would signify that the Canucks are taking a big step to start competing now and try to make the playoffs.  A 1st rounder is always a bit of a gamble, so in return they get a much more proven young player.  Perreault is a good veteran player with two more years on his deal at $4.125 million.  His deal isn't a long-term problem for the Canucks, and Perreault will be a valuable veteran in the short term, and potential trade bait at the deadline or in another year.  The conditional 2020 3rd round pick is some protection in case the Canucks end up giving Winnipeg a good 1st rounder next year.  Getting Ehlers for six years is definitely worth the cost of a (non top 5) 2020 first rounder that may or may not pan out, and would likely take years to develop. 

Why for Winnipeg:  As shown by the Trouba trade, the Jets are needing to create cap room.  They need to re-sign Myers, Laine and Connor.  This deal sends out over $10 million, while getting a developing young player with upside in Virtanen as well as a very valuable asset of a 1st round pick.  This deal is in a similar vein to the Trouba deal of trading a young player for a 1st round pick and cap space.  The Jets also get rid of Perreault's contract in this deal, which they want to shed.  He's a decent player, but at $4 million per year he doesn't have much trade value and they want to find a taker.

I'm sure many people will point to the fact that Ehlers had a terrible playoff run.  I'd say that's the only reason we'd be able to get him in a deal, and this is our chance to pounce.  Pairing him with elite talent like Petterson could be incredible and worth that risk.  A good coach can help mature the young player to be more of a playoff performer in the future.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB would never do this.  Ehlers is overpaid, and a playoff dud.  Why do you think the Jets are trying to dump him?  

He had a down year, for sure.  But he's 23 years old, has three straight 20 goal seasons, and had over 60 points in two seasons.  I think the reason they're wanting to dump him is more to do with Myers, Connor and Laine needing to re-sign.  I'd definitely try to get him if he's available.

I might be in the minority but I don't think we have seen the best of Jake yet. I really believe he is about to bust through the ceiling and have a career year. I don't know enough about next year's draft class but I know that Ehlers seems to be a regular season player and personally he isn't someone I would put much hope into when it comes down to crunch time.

In theory this deal might work although we do take on a lot of cap, but it isn't an exciting move IMO and not one i'd be itching to pull the trigger on.

Edited by Magikal
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, underrated said:

He had a down year, for sure.  But he's 23 years old, has three straight 20 goal seasons, and had over 60 points in two seasons.  I think the reason they're wanting to dump him is more to do with Myers, Connor and Laine needing to re-sign.  I'd definitely try to get him if he's available.

Ehlers is not worth the price you suggest though.  He’s very much an east west player.  That’s not winning hockey in the playoffs, or in any hard game.  

I think Ehlers would do well on Bo’s Wing, but not at too much cost.  Gaudette for Ehlers would be more than fair.  

1 minute ago, Magikal said:

I might be in the minority but I don't think we have seen the best of Jake yet. I really believe he is about to bust through the ceiling and have a career year. I don't know enough about next year's draft class but I know that Ehlers seems to be a regular season player and personally he isn't someone I would put much hope into when it comes down to crunch time.

In theory this deal might work although we do take on a lot of cap, but it isn't an exciting move IMO and not one i'd be itching to pull the trigger on.

Agreed.  It's insane to give up on him before he's even given a shot at a regular offensive role.  He's proven to be capable of playing a regular shift on the third line at the bare minumum.  Benning drafted him over Ehlers for a reason.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, King Heffy said:

Agreed.  It's insane to give up on him before he's even given a shot at a regular offensive role.  He's proven to be capable of playing a regular shift on the third line at the bare minumum.  Benning drafted him over Ehlers for a reason.

Yup. He needs consistent top 6 minutes. He is also a power forward which takes time to develop into what we need him to be. Hell Bertuzzi wasn't much of anything until his mid twenties. That being said Jake needs to be consistent with his play and he needs to pot 20G and/or break 50pts this year. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, underrated said:

He's disappeared in the playoffs every year. His contract isn't an albatross, it's a flamingo.

• Haha 1

I was thinking of a trade between the Jets and Canucks earlier today, went like this:

To VAN: Jack Roslovic

To WPG: Chris Tanev

Simple one-for-one

I heard Roslovic was unhappy in wpg because of little playing time. Jets are in need of another right shot defender since the Trouba trade, so I thought this made sense.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

JB would never do this.  Ehlers is overpaid, and a playoff dud.  Why do you think the Jets are trying to dump him?  

Ehlers had as many career playoff goals as Virtanen - and Virtanen hasn't played a playoff game yet (Ehlers has 21 under his belt).   

This continual fixation that other teams have "better" young players is amusing.  Vancouver is amassing one of the leagues truly intriguing and highly talented young cores and the logic of trying to trade some of it (inclusive of first or second round picks) right now as those young players are just starting to get their NHL traction underway is hard to understand.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This continual fixation that other teams have "better" young players is amusing.  Vancouver is amassing one of the leagues truly intriguing and highly talented young cores and the logic of trying to trade some of it (inclusive of first or second round picks) right now as those young players are just starting to get their NHL traction underway is hard to understand.

You know better Rob - you never try to understand CDC, you just hope to contain the insanity ^_^.

• Upvote 2

Next year's draft is regarded as possibly a top 3 draft this century. The top 10 is ridiculously deep with 2-3 players who would go 1st overall in most other years at the top. Under no circumstances am I trading that pick. 

• Upvote 1