The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Jets & Canucks Trade

I don't think Virtanen will be that power forward everyone  believes. He lacks the one thing guys like Bertuzzi and Tkachuk have.They are mean and nasty.They don't give a eff about their apponent.They would or will put you thru the boards into the first row just to get the puck.They succeded or succeed through sheer intimidation and truculence.Jake is not nor will ever be that guy.It is something that you bring to the league.It's in your DNA and it's in your character.It can't be taught or learned.Please stop thinking Jake is basically anymore than he is.He really hasn't changed since he came to the league.If he becomes a consistant 20 goal guy then be happy with that.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, underrated said:

To Winnipeg: 2020 1st round pick (top 5 protected, then 2021 top 2 protected), Jake Virtanen

To Vancouver: Nikolaj Ehlers, Matthew Perreault, conditional draft pick (2020 3rd rounder if the Canucks are in the lottery next year).

Why for Vancouver: The Canucks add an elite potential young (23) left winger on a long-term (6 years) cost controlled contract of $6 million per year.  He's the perfect player to complete the top line along with Petterson and Boeser.  Giving up Virtanen and the 2020 1st is a high price, but the Canucks won't want to part with their 1st rounder this year, since it's 10th overall and the draft is in Vancouver.  This would signify that the Canucks are taking a big step to start competing now and try to make the playoffs.  A 1st rounder is always a bit of a gamble, so in return they get a much more proven young player.  Perreault is a good veteran player with two more years on his deal at $4.125 million.  His deal isn't a long-term problem for the Canucks, and Perreault will be a valuable veteran in the short term, and potential trade bait at the deadline or in another year.  The conditional 2020 3rd round pick is some protection in case the Canucks end up giving Winnipeg a good 1st rounder next year.  Getting Ehlers for six years is definitely worth the cost of a (non top 5) 2020 first rounder that may or may not pan out, and would likely take years to develop. 

Why for Winnipeg:  As shown by the Trouba trade, the Jets are needing to create cap room.  They need to re-sign Myers, Laine and Connor.  This deal sends out over $10 million, while getting a developing young player with upside in Virtanen as well as a very valuable asset of a 1st round pick.  This deal is in a similar vein to the Trouba deal of trading a young player for a 1st round pick and cap space.  The Jets also get rid of Perreault's contract in this deal, which they want to shed.  He's a decent player, but at $4 million per year he doesn't have much trade value and they want to find a taker.

I'm sure many people will point to the fact that Ehlers had a terrible playoff run.  I'd say that's the only reason we'd be able to get him in a deal, and this is our chance to pounce.  Pairing him with elite talent like Petterson could be incredible and worth that risk.  A good coach can help mature the young player to be more of a playoff performer in the future.

Go after Anders Lee instead! Make it happen jimbo!

8 hours ago, cowboy644 said:

I don't think Virtanen will be that power forward everyone  believes. He lacks the one thing guys like Bertuzzi and Tkachuk have.They are mean and nasty.They don't give a eff about their apponent.They would or will put you thru the boards into the first row just to get the puck.They succeded or succeed through sheer intimidation and truculence.Jake is not nor will ever be that guy.It is something that you bring to the league.It's in your DNA and it's in your character.It can't be taught or learned.Please stop thinking Jake is basically anymore than he is.He really hasn't changed since he came to the league.If he becomes a consistant 20 goal guy then be happy with that.

I agree with everything you say but it can’t be taught.  I can list plenty of guys that didn’t want to be enforcers but became them just to make the show and some guys that started out  timid but became vicious after they made the show.  I’m not saying JV will be that guy and somewhat entirely agree with what your saying because a lot of guys that are aggressive can’t help themselves and start like that from the beginning...JV doesn’t have much more time left...if he wants a longer career he better figure things out soon.   Haven’t lost hope yet, this is his year to either button down and become what we all hoped he’d become or loose his job with us.

On 6/19/2019 at 7:49 AM, cowboy644 said:

Funny you bring up that name because I would love to see a Virtanen for Tyler Bertuzzi swap. Detroit would never do it but I'd love to see it lol.