The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Shopping Tanev

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Doesnt surprise me at all. It may also be a story leaked on purpose. Puts pressure on TO to swap Zaitsez + for Tanev. TO has done nothing to improve their D yet and lots of pressure on Dubas to do so. A trade around Zaitsev + 

for Tanev makes so much sense. 

You might be onto something here. It is just about a year or two too late IMO. He would have netted us so much more two years ago when his value was at its peak. Oh well. 

• Upvote 1

It’s the radio guys mentioning this. I’ll believe it when a proper insider reveals it. Not taking them seriously because they do this every often just to get more clicks, it’s general knowledge at this point.

...and I don’t think it makes sense with Edler testing free agency either. If you lose him and then trade Tanev, our defense is completely depleted.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Generational.EP40 said:

It’s the radio guys mentioning this. I’ll believe it when a proper insider reveals it. Not taking them seriously because they do this every often just to get more clicks, it’s general knowledge at this point.

...and I don’t think it makes sense with Edler testing free agency either. If you lose him and then trade Tanev, our defense is completely depleted.

Sekeres is not known as a clickbait kinda guy. He also does not break a ton of Canucks news. This isn't Eklund or some other source that are constantly wrong. I think it has plenty of legs especially considering our desire to get younger and healthier on the blueline. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Generational.EP40 said:

This as well.

Better value in keeping him around than getting a minimized return for him at this stage.

What's the value of keeping a guy that will miss a guaranteed 30 games.  Then, having to constantly dip into your already thin depth on the blue line.  Move on, get what you can and fill his spot with someone less talented but more durable who you know will give you lots of games.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

Tanev's trade value hasn't been this low since he was an undrafted free agent.... We should have traded him 2 years ago when it was sky high, or just keep him and hope his value increases to what it once was and he can be a serviceable shutdown guy for us.

I can understand why they didn't, but they should have.  For me, this ,management team has had two main blunders.......trading kassian and not trading Tanev 2-3 years ago when it was obvious staying healthy was an issue for him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Not that I like Sekeres, but didn't he break the news about Linden leaving? He seems to have a source for info, or maybe I'm wrong here?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, timberz21 said:

What's the value of keeping a guy that will miss a guaranteed 30 games.  Then, having to constantly dip into your already thin depth on the blue line.  Move on, get what you can and fill his spot with someone less talented but more durable who you know will give you lots of games.

mentoring Hughes and/or OJ. Why hang the kids out to dry for a 20% chance at a pick making the NHL? doesn't make sense. Better to wait, let the kids learn with him, and maybe if he's not hurt move him for a lot more at the TDL. 

• Upvote 3

Moving Tanev is a good idea. At this point, get what you can for him, and move on. The guy is a solid defenseman but spends so much of each season being put back together again. As timberz21 has said, having Tanev on the defense corps means that there's a 75% chance that he'll go down and the depth will be tested again, like clockwork.

Again, time to move on.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Listening to TO radio the other day, and the hosts (don't remember their names) were very high on Tanev.  I think Tanev's solid Defensive game, and how he plays the right way, is more appreciated outside of Vancouver.  

I think Tanev is plenty appreciated within Vancouver.

• Upvote 1