The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Shopping Tanev

Just now, nuck-lifer said:

we could take him on for his last year, and would take the 2020 2nd rounder back. we have the room.

makes sense for both teams, since there are positives and negatives on both sides, as i would hate to see us give up on Jake, but we need a top line forward now to support EP and Brock.

Hold onto JV... his potential far outweighs his current value in a trade.  He's just one of those that will take longer to get it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Generational.EP40 said:

...and I don’t think it makes sense with Edler testing free agency either. If you lose him and then trade Tanev, our defense is completely depleted.

Edler's coming back.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

mentoring Hughes and/or OJ. Why hang the kids out to dry for a 20% chance at a pick making the NHL? doesn't make sense. Better to wait, let the kids learn with him, and maybe if he's not hurt move him for a lot more at the TDL. 

Tanev's gone after this year anyway. I'd like to get SOME sort of assets while he's healthy in the off season rather than gambling he will actually be healthy towards the TDL. We can sign a Stralman etc to fill a vet/mentor/sheltering role along with bringing back Edler (while also hopefully trading for a Miller, Risto etc as well).

40 minutes ago, rekker said:

That's good to hear. Tanev to TO just works. He's a big upgrade on Zaitsev at basically the same cap cost. Being an Ontario guy his chances of re-signing are good. If I'm JB I offer Tanev and Goldy for Zaitsez and Marlaeu and Kapanen. Makes sense for both teams on so many levels. Rumours like this dont get released by accident. I think this is an example of JB learning on the job and he is finally using the media to his advantage. This will put some pressure on Dubas knowing Tanev is being shopped. IE Tanev to Buffalo for Rits, Tanev to the Jets if they dont re-sign Myers. Tanev to Vegas for Miller and a cap dump. There are scenarios out there that may prod Dubas to get something done now rather than being left at the alter with few options. 

Don't forget Tampa. I'd happily take on Callahan for one year and/or retain on Tanev to 'help them out' for appropriate sweetener...::D

34 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Exactly. I mentioned on another thread, that I was thinking JB might want to get Eddie done before the draft if he's getting done for exactly this reason. Keep one of the two key vets (and clearly likely Eddie vs letting him walk for nothing) and move Tanev, then sign a UFA RD (I hope Meyers). Get  mid to late first for Tanev (Braun just went for a 2nd and third). I think there's a trade coming.

I'm right with you there until you get to Myers. He's a 4-5 year, $5-$6m D who's going to likely get something at/over $7m X7. No thanks. Especially with a very similar, younger Russian due back here next year.

35 minutes ago, thundernuts said:

That could work.  Not a huge Meyers fan, and his contract will most definitely be insane, but some version of this could work.

Yeah, that's a no fly zone for me.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Personally, I would much rather have Gardiner to Meyers.  But, if we do move Tanev (and keep Eddy) doesn't that mean we need a right shot D to replace him? 

I don't really want either of them because they will be getting +++$, +++term and restrictive contract.  At some point it will mess with the Nucks salary cap.

With the likleyhood of Edler signing, they will have Edler, Hutton, Hughes and potentially Juolevi on the left side, so they don't need Gardiner.

If JB has to sign one of those players I would take Meyers. With the rumours around Tanev moving, it would allow for his $ to be reasigned to Meyers contract.  The right side would be  Meyers, Stecher, Schenn (probable), maybe Woo or Rafferty.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I just can't see that this year, sounds like Myers is going to command a ridiculous payday so hopefully thats not us. Maybe Stralman and Tanev could be our 1/2 on the right side. 

IMO they cannot go into this season with Tanev as the #1 rhd, maybe not even #2.  He's just far too unreliable to lean on in any way

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Tanev's gone after this year anyway. I'd like to get SOME sort of assets while he's healthy in the off season rather than gambling he will actually be healthy towards the TDL. We can sign a Stralman etc to fill a vet/mentor/sheltering role along with bringing back Edler (while also hopefully trading for a Miller, Risto etc as well).

If Jimbo can sign Stralman, then we can move Tanev to TO e.g., after free agency opens. I'd be OK with that but we'd be hanging the kids out to dry by moving Tanev first imo. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If Jimbo can sign Stralman, then we can move Tanev to TO e.g., after free agency opens. I'd be OK with that but we'd be hanging the kids out to dry by moving Tanev first imo. 

Yeah for sure, there has to be a plan in place whether that be trade, UFA, both etc. I'm not saying you move him going in blind (why do people always assume this?:blink:).

All these trade rumours surrounding the Canucks and talk of us 'being in on multiple options' should be a pretty clear indication that Benning is getting his ducks in a row. If Benning moves Tanev at/before the draft, it's pretty clear he's got some mix of:

A ) Another right D coming back for him.

B ) Another right coming back via other assets.

C ) A pretty clear indication on who he'll be able to sign July 1.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Moving Tanev is a good idea. At this point, get what you can for him, and move on. The guy is a solid defenseman but spends so much of each season being put back together again. As timberz21 has said, having Tanev on the defense corps means that there's a 75% chance that he'll go down and the depth will be tested again, like clockwork.

Again, time to move on.

Hmmm let me get this straight. Tanev is often injured, causing the Canucks to dip into our typically depleted D corp. So the solution is to trade him so we'll have 1 less defenseman to call on? 

I'm not saying we shouldn't move on from Tanev but some of the logic in these posts aren't well, logical. 

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah for sure, there has to be a plan in place whether that be trade, UFA, both etc. I'm not saying you move him going in blind (why do people always assume this?:blink:).

All these trade rumours surrounding the Canucks and talk of us 'being in on multiple options' should be a pretty clear indication that Benning is getting his ducks in a row. If Benning moves Tanev at/before the draft, it's pretty clear he's got some mix of:

I guess its the dozens of trade ideas that suggest that :lol: (not from you tho).

I think a Tanev deal could be great, if TO can get him with 50% salary retention it should be a no-brainer to move roster players and a prospect. It doesn't need to involve a pick either depending on the players. 

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

If I'm Calgary Hitmans front office, I will be sweating bullets right now. 

Looks more and more likely Woo is gonna be a full time Canuck next season with all of our vet d men moving on. 

Can't see them running with up to three rookies next season -- Hughes, Juolevi, and Woo.  That being said, Tanev being shopped should be absolutely no surprise.

Edler

Tanev

Hutton

Stecher

When Benning talks about overhauling the D, that doesn't mean just one player so there's going to be changes, would figure 2+ of those will be gone, and if they really do want Edler back... well, Hutton and Tanev have to be on the outs, as I think they probably like Stecher and prefer to keep him.

And with all the Captain Hindsighting.  First, how do you know they HAVEN'T been trying to trade him the last two years (and/or that Tanev refused to waive), and as already mentioned the offers were likely very poor compared to his value to the team?  Second, if they haven't we've seen how the team is without him in the lineup and how the D flounders.  Not a good environment to try to develop young players.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Hmmm let me get this straight. Tanev is often injured, causing the Canucks to dip into our typically depleted D corp. So the solution is to trade him so we'll have 1 less defenseman to call on? 

I'm not saying we shouldn't move on from Tanev but some of the logic in these posts aren't well, logical. 

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Tanev for Zaitsev and Kapanen's rights wouldn't be bad.  If Shanahan still sees the potential value of Rielly - Tanev as a top pairing this could hold some weight.

I used to think that was enough but it isnt anymore. With what contracts are coming to Zaitsev, a serviceable right side Dman, isnt on such a bad contract anymore. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Moving Tanev is a good idea. At this point, get what you can for him, and move on. The guy is a solid defenseman but spends so much of each season being put back together again. As timberz21 has said, having Tanev on the defense corps means that there's a 75% chance that he'll go down and the depth will be tested again, like clockwork.

Again, time to move on.

Not replacing though is like putting bullets in all the chambers (instead of a few if he was kept) in a game of Russian Roulette.  I’m fine with dealing him however no notable replacement is actually worse imho.