The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Shopping Tanev

23 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Ehlers or Nylander? 

Double NO.  And especially not moving some of our only grit in Virtanen to do so.

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If Jimbo can sign Stralman, then we can move Tanev to TO e.g., after free agency opens. I'd be OK with that but we'd be hanging the kids out to dry by moving Tanev first imo. 

Stralman would be a great stop-gap, depending on what term he wants.  Woo is likely still another year or two away, and Schenn should be a 7th or 8th D as an injury fill-in.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Forum Specific Rules for the Trades, Rumours, Signings Subforum can be viewed here: http://forum.canucks.com/announcement/20-forum-specific-rules/

Aw I get it now. I never post breaking stuff on here, but I will be sure to abide should I do so in the future. Thanks.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Hmmm let me get this straight. Tanev is often injured, causing the Canucks to dip into our typically depleted D corp. So the solution is to trade him so we'll have 1 less defenseman to call on? 

I'm not saying we shouldn't move on from Tanev but some of the logic in these posts aren't well, logical. 

Speaking of logic... You don't move him without a plan to replace him in the lineup.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Hmmm let me get this straight. Tanev is often injured, causing the Canucks to dip into our typically depleted D corp. So the solution is to trade him so we'll have 1 less defenseman to call on? 

I'm not saying we shouldn't move on from Tanev but some of the logic in these posts aren't well, logical. 

Solid post. Totally gloss over the fact that Benning will sign or trade for a defenseman or two.....

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Not replacing though is like putting bullets in all the chambers (instead of a few if he was kept) in a game of Russian Roulette.  I’m fine with dealing him however no notable replacement is actually worse imho.

Totally. Benning has already stated that he's in the market for defensemen this summer, so I didn't think I needed to reiterate the point.

• Cheers 1

Personally, I still don't see us doing anything until the Cap is announced for next season. I think with the growing consensus that it will come in at 82 million or below, Benning will be patient and wait for other GM's to really start to feel the pinch of what they have to work with and who they need to resign.

I think there could be some really good deals out there on the draft floor this year, and Benning knows that and is just kicking tires and establishing his main targets right now.

• Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah for sure, there has to be a plan in place whether that be trade, UFA, both etc. I'm not saying you move him going in blind (why do people always assume this?:blink:).

All these trade rumours surrounding the Canucks and talk of us 'being in on multiple options' should be a pretty clear indication that Benning is getting his ducks in a row. If Benning moves Tanev at/before the draft, it's pretty clear he's got some mix of:

A ) Another right D coming back for him.

B ) Another right coming back via other assets.

C ) A pretty clear indication on who he'll be able to sign July 1.

Likely getting a D back by trade if it happens at the draft.  The UFA interview period starts on the 23rd - the draft will be over by then.  Teams don't usually allow other teams to talk to their upcoming UFAs before that date.  

Just now, mll said:

Likely getting a D back by trade if it happens at the draft.  The UFA interview period starts on the 23rd - the draft will be over by then.  Teams don't usually allow other teams to talk to their upcoming UFAs before that date.  

I love you MLL but sometimes you be pretty naive yo :lol: Gordie bless your honest, black and white little heart though! :wub:

1 hour ago, thundernuts said:

That could work.  Not a huge Meyers fan, and his contract will most definitely be insane, but some version of this could work.

I really do hope that Chevy steps in and saves Benning from himself by re-signing Myers. 

He just feels like one of those deals you regret a lot within 2 years.  

Like Loui and Lucic and Jack Johnson...

1 minute ago, kenhodgejr said:

anyone think guys like Brogan Rafferty or Josh Teves are ready to step into the lineup? 

Brogan I think is. Teves may need some AHL time. His story is good tho he may one day make it.