The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] - Re-signing Edler to Canucks

6 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Honest question.

who here actually thinks Seattle would poach edler?

i don’t.

No one can say this two years in advance.

But presuming Edler maintains relative performance/cap value - and it's easily conceivable.

Add this to the consideration:  look at what Vegas did in the last expansion draft.

They took a 35 year old Derek Engelland - who wound up playing just under 22 minutes a night for them in a 20 game playoff run to the Finals.

They took 33 year old Jason Garrison.  32 year old Methot.  Look at all the D that passed through Vegas in one year - beyond those guys named = Hunt, Sbisa, McNabb, Schmidt, Merrill, Miller, Theodore, Stoner, Schlemko, Reinhart, Van Reimsdyk..

It was a feast on #4D.   And in spite of their relatively muted ability to deal a few of those D (may have thought that stockpile of D would have given them more market leverage) - it is entirely hard to argue with their approach in the end, which landed them in contention from the get-go.  I think the ED terms were very favourable, but I see no reason why a 34ish Edler wouldn't make a huge no-brainer addition to any expansion team, assuming he's still as serviceable as some of the names above (wadr to Engelland, or Methot etc = a 34 year old Edler may prove to have been the best veteran available in that ED as well...

Impossible to project - but entirely conceivable that Seattle would jump all over the opportunity to claim and keep or flip Edler.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Honest question.

i don’t.

Depends on entirely on the play of Edler. He had a fantastic season this year. If he continues his strong play over the next 2 years, I think they could easily see him as a player to anchor a new team. His cap hit is solid, even now. If the cap rises, he could look like a steal for a top 4 D. They might see him as a player they can try to trade after a year and a half if the team doesn't pull a Vegas.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Honest question.

i don’t.

It all depends on who Seattle has to pick from that the Canucks leave unprotected. If Edler is the best option left exposed they may end up taking him. Who knows until we see who is left exposed.

Going into the off-season I’ve been excited based on last year and JB’s comments of wanting to add a top6 and top4 D.

after hearing Edler won’t resign a few days ago which thankfully wasn’t true, I was getting worried because even if Gardiner is close to the same level as edler he’d still cost more then if you added Myers too, so that our D is improved that would be huge years and money for Solid but not great D.  This route would have made it tough to add enough pieces to become a contender and leave room for signings of Boeser, Hughes and Peterson. 

Edler’s contract is a bargain regardless of 3 or 4 years. 

Edited by brian42
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Seattle’s not selecting a 34/35 year old dman,  besides the fact he’ll most likely be injured. 

The recycling rebuild talk about fearing change. Maybe Jim will say it’s not fair to rebuild while edler here.lol. 

Old slow and fragile. 

Edited by combover
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 3

53 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Honest question.

i don’t.

I honestly don't know. Depends on what type of year has has next season. 

The point is we don't have to waste a spot protecting him now, which we would have had we given him the NMC he wanted.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Mods can delete if post is not required

Man o man.....5 to 5.5 million per season? That is a steal considering what top pairing D get with such a high cap. That would be awesome!!  Now trade for Risto to play with him!!

• Upvote 1

It's quite entertaining to track the parrot effect in the media through times like these.

"Report"

"Alex Edler and Canucks won't get a deal done"

"Canucks unlikely to re-sign Edler"

"Alex Edler not likely to re-sign with Canucks"

"Canuck's Alex Edler to hit free agent market".

etc, etc, ad infinitum = a mere 48 hours ago.

Today:

Closing in on deal

To re-sign

Edler re-signs

Deal close....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, oldnews said:

No one can say this two years in advance.

But presuming Edler maintains relative performance/cap value - and it's easily conceivable.

Add this to the consideration:  look at what Vegas did in the last expansion draft.

They took a 35 year old Derek Engelland - who wound up playing just under 22 minutes a night for them in a 20 game playoff run to the Finals.

They took 33 year old Jason Garrison.  32 year old Methot.  Look at all the D that passed through Vegas in one year - beyond those guys named = Hunt, Sbisa, McNabb, Schmidt, Merrill, Miller, Theodore, Stoner, Schlemko, Reinhart, Van Reimsdyk..

It was a feast on #4D.   And in spite of their relatively muted ability to deal a few of those D (may have thought that stockpile of D would have given them more market leverage) - it is entirely hard to argue with their approach in the end, which landed them in contention from the get-go.  I think the ED terms were very favourable, but I see no reason why a 34ish Edler wouldn't make a huge no-brainer addition to any expansion team, assuming he's still as serviceable as some of the names above (wadr to Engelland, or Methot etc = a 34 year old Edler may prove to have been the best veteran available in that ED as well...

Impossible to project - but entirely conceivable that Seattle would jump all over the opportunity to claim and keep or flip Edler.

i'm pretty sure

that in addition to the requirement to select 1 player from every nhl team

the expansion team has to also select a minimum total contract value in the expansion draft

so they might have motivation/need to add a pricier contract

in past expansion draft that is why teams were able to unload older players with bloated contracts

but i do not really know if this is the case for seattle, or if it was for vegas

but i'd be surprised if there was no requirement for total contract value as part of the draft

(otherwise the expansion team could draft only cheap players and have a ton of cap space to corner the ufa market)

Edited by coastal.view

I honestly would have considered 5 to 5.5 to be a lowball.

But one thing to consider - Edler is probably not going to have to play as huge a role - or as many 'offensive' minutes as he has recently.

Ideally he will settle into closer to 20 minutes of two-way and matchup minutes.

So this kind of payday may be more commensurate with what he will do as opposed to what he has done, which is be an underpaid workhorse for quite some time.

I guess for him the bottom line isn't the bottom line.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It's quite entertaining to track the parrot effect in the media through times like these.

"Report"

"Alex Edler and Canucks won't get a deal done"

"Canucks unlikely to re-sign Edler"

"Alex Edler not likely to re-sign with Canucks"

"Canuck's Alex Edler to hit free agent market".

etc, etc, ad infinitum = a mere 48 hours ago.

Today:

Closing in on deal

To re-sign

Edler re-signs

Deal close....

Well to be fair there was an apparent 24-48 hour period of no communication according to the media.

im not surprised at the signing.  It’s the safest move.  JB being the obvious man of his word type, (which I admire him for beyond hockey), states from the hop that signing was a priority.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, coastal.view said:

i'm pretty sure

that in addition to the requirement to select 1 player from every nhl team

the expansion team has to also select a minimum total contract value in the expansion draft

so they might have motivation/need to add a pricier contract

in past expansion draft that is why teams were able to unload older players with bloated contracts

but i do not really know if this is the case for seattle, or if it was for vegas

but i'd be surprised if there was no requirement for total contract value as part of the draft

regardless of a cap floor technicality, Edler as Edler is a very nice option for a team to have.

He's the type of expiring contract that can bring a good return from a contender - or if that team proves competitive, as Vegas certainly did, Edler could be a key part of a deep blueline.

No one really knows - but to try to project that there's little chance of him being taken - isn't believable in the least.

• Upvote 1

Just now, riffraff said:

Well to be fair there was an apparent 24-48 hour period of no communication according to the media.

im not surprised at the signing.  It’s the safest move.  JB being the obvious man of his word type, (which I admire him for beyond hockey), states from the hop that signing was a priority.

It's not only the safest move, but it's literally, and probably by a fair margin, the best potential FA value available.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I honestly would have considered 5 to 5.5 to be a lowball.

But one thing to consider - Edler is probably not going to have to play as huge a role - or as many 'offensive' minutes as he has recently.

Ideally he will settle into closer to 20 minutes of two-way and matchup minutes.

So this kind of payday may be more commensurate with what he will do as opposed to what he has done, which is be an underpaid workhorse for quite some time.

I guess for him the bottom line isn't the bottom line.

I won’t say lowball until there are other dman ufa signings.  And imo the injury history has to play into a lower cap hit either here or for any team considering signing edler.  

Bertuzzi was on the radio discussing both his contract negotiations as well as current negotiations including edlers.  I found his comment of: “you have to be realistic with what you offer”(paraphrased).

edler offers some steady play......when he is playing.  But I can’t see teams jumping to give big money and term to an aging dman who has injury history.  He has been a literal workhorse.  And that carries two edges.