The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] - Re-signing Edler to Canucks

5 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Well to be fair there was an apparent 24-48 hour period of no communication according to the media.

im not surprised at the signing.  It’s the safest move.  JB being the obvious man of his word type, (which I admire him for beyond hockey), states from the hop that signing was a priority.

That was a 24-48 period when no one shared anything with the clowns on 1040 or 650. 

• Haha 1

The disappointing thing is Jimmy said he would address the defence this summer.

Bringing back Edler means 1/6 of the d can't change. I assume Stech is back and not sure about Hutty or Tanev. Might resign Schenn but I don't see much change.

Then again the day is still young...

4 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Bringing back Edler means 1/6 of the d can't change. I assume Stech is back and not sure about Hutty or Tanev. Might resign Schenn but I don't see much change.

There’s talk that benning is going to make big changes every season, and then nothing happens because “asking prices are unreasonable”

6 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Edler is our best D by a bit. And they got him at a very low price for a top pairing D.

I am shocked any Canuck fan sees this as anything but a win.  Oh well.....

....I am totally stoked if this is true about signing Edler for 3 (or4) years for 5 to 5.5.  ::D . Awesome contract without a NMC in the 3rd year if true.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Edler is our best D by a bit. And they got him at a very low price for a top pairing D.

I am shocked any Canuck fan sees this as anything but a win.  Oh well.....

....I am totally stoked if this is true about signing Edler for 3 (or4) years for 5 to 5.5.  ::D . Awesome contract without a NMC in the 3rd year if true.

That's my point. Arguably a bottom third NHL team over the last 4 years resigned their best dman.

We need change. I am not saying he's bad but sometimes you have to move on. Just like 33 and 22.

Just now, Chris12345 said:

That's my point. Arguably a bottom third NHL team over the last 4 years resigned their best dman.

We need change. I am not saying he's bad but sometimes you have to move on. Just like 33 and 22.

We had Bo, and Boeser to replace the Twins.  Who replaces Edler?

plus, Edler is 33, and not 38.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Chris12345 said:

I get you want change in our D. I really do to.

But signing Edler, arguably a 1st pairing D, at 5 or 5.5 million is a steal. They still need to upgrade big time imo.

So trade for Risto and make him our 1st or 2nd pairing RD. Make another trade for another top 4 D if price isn't too high...so far prices have not been crazy and the news the cap may stagnate may cause some teams to dump some players...even good ones.

The Edler signing is a very good move.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Sad thing is, at this moment, Edler is one of the best or the best pending UFA D men on the market. 

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

our record with Eddie in the lineup projected over 82 games would have had us in the playoffs (he missed a number of games as you know)

Our record without Eddie in the lineup was something like .400

His impact speaks for itself, he plays the pp, top pk and is our best player to matchup against teams top lines. you cant just get rid of your best dman and expect to get better. What JB needs to do, and has said he will is improve his D, which means providing Eddie with more support so he doesn't have to carry the entire defensive load for the team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We had Bo, and Boeser to replace the Twins.  Who replaces Edler?

plus, Edler is 33, and not 38.

Well you can't trade Tanev and let Eddie walk that's for sure. It could open the door for a Tanev deal but not a huge market there.

4 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Well you can't trade Tanev and let Eddie walk that's for sure. It could open the door for a Tanev deal but not a huge market there.

I see the Leafs really wanting Tanev.  Likely we will have to take Nylander back though.  I’d rather we got Kapanen, but that’s not happening.  

A 3 year deal at 5-5.5 which allows us to expose him for the ED is probably the very best we could have hoped for.  I think it is fair for both sides - though Edler does leave a little on the table than he would have likely made in FA in order to stay put.  My only concerns are with his likely regression - both due to age and effort level we have seen prior to this past season, but even still I think it is the best thing for us rather than either Myers or Gardiner.

Yeah, it means less opportunity to change up the D, but Edler was hardly the reason for our woes on the blueline this season. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see the Leafs really wanting Tanev.  Likely we will have to take Nylander back though.  I’d rather we got Kapanen, but that’s not happening.  

Do the Leafs really want Tanev or have Canucks fans just made this assumption for the last 2+ years? I feel like Tanev would have already been a Leaf if they really wanted him. 

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think this is a solid signing, especially if the dollars are true, and we are getting him at 5 to 5.5 M per

I called the terms yesterday...…..NTC / NTC / Limited NTC in the 3rd...…..makes perfect sense!

It sounds to me like it's a NMC and limited NMC, not a NTC.

NMC / NMC / Limited NMC (expansion draft exposure) / NMC (possible fourth year)

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we get Nylander for Tanev straight up then we will have robbed the Leafs by taking advantage of the cap crunch. Never going to happen though, let alone HAVE to take Nylander back.

4 hours ago, redhdlois said:

Tim and Sid show stating same info 3 yrs between 5-5.5/yr

One of the best FA signings this summer by any team if this is the case....particularly if there is no restrictions for entry draft.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1