The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] - Re-signing Edler to Canucks

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So when Benning said he wanted to 'improve the defense", you took that as 'replace every single defenseman'?

No 2/6 new dman I would say is significant.  I would consider Hughes and Schenn as a returning players.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It sounds to me like it's a NMC and limited NMC, not a NTC.

NMC / NMC / Limited NMC (expansion draft exposure) / NMC (possible fourth year)

You are probably right.....

But I was close!

Man! You are a hard marker! :P

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

No 2/6 new dman I would say is significant.  I would consider Hughes and Schenn as a returning players.

I still think that gets done. We're in desperate need of a righty, and Benning seems like he's pretty adamant about filling that void. Tanev looks like he's on the move. It's difficult for me to see Hutton coming back either, so I imagine we'll be on the lookout for a second pairing lefty as well. Gardiner may fill that void.

Edler   _______

______  Stetcher

Hughes Schenn

Maybe slot someone like Colin Miller on the first pairing and Gardiner on the second?

24 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Hughes played 5 games last season and Schenn played 18. Schenn is a cheaper Gudbranson and Hughes changes the dynamic offensively. I guess those aren't improvements on the D from last year? There still could be changes made, but I think Hughes alone changes our defense significantly.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We had Bo, and Boeser to replace the Twins.  Who replaces Edler?

plus, Edler is 33, and not 38.

Besides that, the twins were clearly not capable of playing a strong game any longer.  Edler (as a defenseman) scored at higher than a 0.6ppg pace, plays a relatively physical game, and eats up minutes in both a defensive and offensive capacity. He was by far and away our best blueliner this season. Can't even compare it to the Sedin scenario.

If we get the Edler we saw this season (to which I am skeptical), even 5.5 is an excellent value in todays NHL. Plus the term accounts for possible regression as well so we arent handcuffed like we would likely be if we resorted to the obvious UFA options.

If this goes through, I would like the Benning haters to take notice please.  This guy can deal. He called the bluff of the Edler camp until he got his deal.  Well done.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I still think that gets done. We're in desperate need of a righty, and Benning seems like he's pretty adamant about filling that void. Tanev looks like he's on the move. It's difficult for me to see Hutton coming back either, so I imagine we'll be on the lookout for a second pairing lefty as well. Gardiner may fill that void.

Edler   _______

______  Stetcher

Hughes Schenn

Maybe slot someone like Colin Miller on the first pairing and Gardiner on the second?

Now that would be welcomed change!

• Cheers 1

Edler, by far, is the best Dman this free agency class after karlsson. Reasonable contract, good term. We aren’t lucky to not have to pursue Gardiner or Myers, which we will definitely have to overpay. With Edler we have stability in the backend. Not saying we are set on D but edler is the foundational piece. Now add more Benning, but don’t overpay! 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Hughes played 5 games last season and Schenn played 18. Schenn is a cheaper Gudbranson and Hughes changes the dynamic offensively. I guess those aren't improvements on the D from last year? There still could be changes made, but I think Hughes alone changes our defense significantly.

I don't think Edler, Tanev, Hutty, Stech, Hughes, and Schenn says playoffs. Hence more change.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ktcy2 said:

Edler, by far, is the best Dman this free agency class after karlsson. Reasonable contract, good term. We aren’t lucky to not have to pursue Gardiner or Myers, which we will definitely have to overpay. With Edler we have stability in the backend. Not saying we are set on D but edler is the foundational piece. Now add more Benning, but don’t overpay! 

You have to overpay in free agency. Especially when you finish in the bottom of the league and a player could be fielding offers from several different teams. That's why I want to stay away from Gardiner and Myers. Overpay on the RIGHT players. Not these guys. 

• Thanks 1

3-4 years at 5-5.5 would be a great signing. Especially with the NMC having an exception for the expansion draft. I'd take that over whatever Gardiner or Myers will be demanding any day. He's our rock and we'll need him next season, he may look even better if we can upgrade our D. I don't expect his play to fall off a cliff. He'll likely be a top 5 guy when he retires. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

I don't think Edler, Tanev, Hutty, Stech, Hughes, and Schenn says playoffs. Hence more change.

Tanev and Hutton most likely won’t be back. I’m thinking that players like Chiarot and Nemeth might be signed to add some size and pushback to the defense. That is, is Benning doesn’t trade for a player like Zadorov instead. 

Is this done deal? 5.5 for 3 years... Unbelievable. 

If Alex signs that dotted line, he has my respect forever. 

He's easily a 7.5 AAV guy on a 3 year deal if he wanted to go on the open market 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

You're right - to say "playoffs" you need in addition to what they have one p, and two f's and unfortunately, those six lack those letters.   

• Upvote 2