The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] - Re-signing Edler to Canucks

2 minutes ago, brian42 said:

If it’s a 2 year deal,  how and why would/could Seattle select Edler?  Would they be selecting a UFA?  Also does a UFA count as 1 player which the Canucks have to leave unprotected? 

Nope, that's the brilliance of it. Rather than Eddie exposing himself, I guess his attitude is, if I can still play, I can re-sign here. UFA's don't need to be protected as they are UFAs...

50 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

I’m confused ..... last night he’s close to signing a three year deal.....nope...wait....hearing it’s not 3 years but 4.....wake up this morning to read they’re closing in on a two year deal.  :unsure:

It is a 4 year deal, but he'll only play 2 due to I jury! Zing! I kid, I kid.

Two years is a steal. What now, JB haters?!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dombrova22 said:

6m, don't like that. 2 year, okay.

Overall, don't like that he's back. 

Will live with it as long as we shake the fu*king D up by trading Tanev and signing/trading/drafting 2 more ' solid ' guys. A Byram/Nurse/Ghost/Myers. 

*facepalm*

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Man these reporters should stop "reporting" things when it's not completed yet. How can they get all these different numbers in such a short time span? I doubt the negotiations have fluctuated this much within 24 hours (and released to the media), so it's just it's beginning to sound like they have no clue. Next thing you know, Edler will be testing the UFA market...again.

Edit: and just as I finished this, it's official. Congrats Eagle!

Don't believe everything you read on internet.  Wait for official statements. Reporters are eager to get clicks and leak info that are not written in contract etc. 

I defend JB a lot because too many fans use hindsight to judge him. But I give most of the credit to Eddy on this one. He has shown that he is a true Canuck and loves the team and the City. As a fan I can really really appreciate that. 

• Like 1

This is a team friendly deal. Edler is not a long term solution to anything on our back end but sure fills a gaping hole while QH and the rest of the kids develop. Hoping Alex can stay healthy and play like he did last year. 6 million is cheap for what we need right now from a UFA. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Nope, that's the brilliance of it. Rather than Eddie exposing himself, I guess his attitude is, if I can still play, I can re-sign here. UFA's don't need to be protected as they are UFAs...

So he won’t count as a player we have to leave unprotected but at least we don’t have to protect him,  makes sense for him to try to stay here and keeps him motivated, I like it. 

• Upvote 1

capfriendly on it already ..:)

DEFENSE (7 - $15,889,166) TERMS POS STATUS AGE 2019-20 2020-21 2021-22 2022-23 2023-24 2024-25 2025-26
Edler, Alexander "A" Unconfirmed Contract Details LD NHL 33 $6,000,000 $6,000,000
UFA

Tanev, Christopher "A" M-NTC RD NHL 29 $4,450,000
UFA

Stecher, Troy   RD NHL 25 $2,325,000
Arbitration EligibleRFA

Hughes, Quintin ELCPerformance Bonuses Waivers Exempt LD NHL 19 $916,666 $916,666
RFA