The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Edler is back - 2 years - 6 million per season

Just now, tas said:

it's a joke. paterson is saying to remember this moment in time because universal praise for jimbo is such a rarity. 

McGill mentioned it already. Benning and Edler deserve a boatload for getting the deal done. Oh yeah, and Edler's agent.

• Cheers 1

Great job by JB! Didn't over pay and did not give him the term. This is great considering Edler's non-contract year play, his decline in foot speed and his injury problems. 

Edler probably realized he wasn't going to get much more anywhere else considering how long it took him to resign. 

Edler will definitely be effective for the next 2 years as he is our best all round dman currently on the roster. In 2 years time? Maybe not so much and the team can adjust accordingly and they are not tied to any contract problems. If Edler can remain competitive, the team will continue to resign him similar to Chara. As it should be. 

For those that said he took a discount, he is being paid as one of the top 30 dmen in the league so is that not being paid accordingly? 

7 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm hoping people are smart enough to realize that alex edler just made his sacrifice for the betterment of the team, and expecting him to do it again over the next two years would be absolutely asinine. 

Wishful thinking.

Brilliant Signing.

I said in the Edler thread that if he was looking to handcuff the team, then seeing the back end of him wouldn't be the worst thing.

He didn't, and as a result I'm overjoyed he's back. The deal is a good paying deal (Is he better than Eriksson? I think so) and he can be 'exposed' as a UFA for the expansion draft (we could be so lucky). Then bring him back right after the expansion is done.

It's the right play all around, Edler gets to stay and not be moved at all, Canucks get cost control and certainty for the expansion year too. The rare win-win deal.

The best business deals (and non business deals) are the ones where all the players believe they have gained, and that’s what we have here. We retain a very important, very loyal asset in exchange for money at a time when we can afford it. We don’t give up a protection spot, and at the end of the two years, Edler becomes a free agent- if he is taken in the expansion draft, within days he becomes a free agent and Vancouver is free to re-sign him. Great deal for both parties, congratulations to all involved.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Shaelon said:

wow, looks like edler conceded on everything? he wanted 3-4 years, canucks only gave him 2. I dont mind if there's an NMC in this deal since its not a big deal when it comes to expansion draft exposure.

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

That's amazing, best case scenario even. Higher cap for shorter term and we can figure out the expansion crap later. 

Welcome back Eagle! 

Benning and co did great and Edler cooperated. I'm calling that a win for management.

I've lost some respect for Dhaliwal the last few days though. 

2 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

what a relief! things were looking a bit bleak as the ufa's started to get chomped up.. 

great term, great price, fair deal for all involved.

still a ways to go but, NICE WORK JB

Pretty much everything that can be said has been said, but I want to get in on this thread because I have so much respect for Edler.

One slight benefit of a 2-year deal for Edler (instead of 3 or 4 years) is that he remains in control of his own fate. He won't be eligible for the expansion draft. If he had signed a 3-year deal and was not protected, he could have been required to go to Seattle (or retire). This way, he can sign with whoever he wants when this contract expires.

I still cannot understand why some people on CDC and in the media were criticizing Edler when it looked like he might go the free agency. It is pretty obvious that the Canucks played hardball with Edler and a lot of players would have gone to free agency just because they were p***d at the Canucks. But Edler does not have a big ego and ultimately took what the Canucks wanted.

On a 2-year deal, I think $6 million is on the low side. As a UFA he would have gotten at least 6 x 3, more likely 6.5 x 3 and he probably could have gotten four years if he wanted.  A 2-year deal takes Edler to age 35 as he is 33 now. As I mentioned in another thread, Giordino just won the Norris at age 35. I just don't see age as a problem even with a 3-year contract for Edler although I agree that injury is always a risk.

• Cheers 2

This was not Edler folding for 2. This was the absolute best of a non ideal situation for him. He wasn't getting expansion protection anywhere, so what happens? He signs a 2 year deal. Plays one year here and then Seattle IF they pick him. Plus if they pick him, they can't trade him anywhere unless he waives. His family doesn't have to move and then after the year away, BOOM, re-signs a new deal with Vancouver.

3 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Great signing by JB

All the credit has to go to Alex. He left money on the table... He left term on the table. 

Alex wants to win a cup. While Petey is on ELC for the next 2 years OUR TIME IS NOW! 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, garthsbutcher said:

Both great character guys, I honestly would not mind have them both on the team .

They would both have to be bottom pairing players though. Engelland especially considering his age (37). Schenn is a better all around defenseman though, and at 29 has a few years to give.

That being said, the Canucks would be wise, if they decided to sign one, to only sign one of them, and give more spots to the up and coming defensemen, especially if they pick one at 10th overall.