The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks aggressively pursuing Tyson Barrie

19 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

How good was Gretzky in his?

There's a difference between being coach and being GM in this regard. Former all star hockey players make good GMs because they reckognize the talent they need. They don't make good coaches because they already have the God given talent and don't understand why others don't play like they do. Whereas the guys who have had to grind it out between leagues know what it's like to work for every ounce of what they have, know how they were motivated and use that to motivate others. Star players grind it out too, but it's definitely a different situation for both.

Edited by Noseforthenet

29 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Yes if he’s been with a team for a while and they have cap room. A) Colorado won’t have cap room b) if he’s traded it’s one year, he may not want to stay, may want to play elsewhere etc 

To begin with, no one knows what position Colorado will be in next year at this time. Maybe they really value Barrie and they move another highly paid player or a couple of $4-5M players to make room to re-sign him long term. Also, I think they will trade Barrie before he becomes a UFA and history has shown us that the team that acquires him is most likely to re-sign him before he hits FA

Business acumen is far less related to even coaching, I'd say.  You need the right demeanor and interpersonal skills to coach, and success as a player doesn't necessarily translate, as we see with lower-end talents like Crawford and Quenneville compared to generational like Gretzky.  But having high-end hockey sense when playing the game has no correlation with being an insightful or shrewd businessman.

8 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

From the Hockey Widow:

Kipper reporting that Barrie has already let the media know he wants to play in VCR when he hits FA. Says this has made it back to the Canucks which is why Benning balked at the price. Canucks believe there is a strong possibility they can sign him next year.

Great news if it turns out that way!

• Upvote 2

I would give up Juolevi and Virtanen for Barrie. Sakic can’t say no to that. Barrie apparently has already said he wants to come here when he comes a FA. 

Meyers is just not gonna cut it. This team needs much more in the back end. 

29 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I would give up Juolevi and Virtanen for Barrie. Sakic can’t say no to that. Barrie apparently has already said he wants to come here when he comes a FA. 

Why give up a sure bet top 4 dmen in Juolevi and a top 9 forward to rent for 1 year of a top 4 dmen especially if you can get him in a year for free given the rumour?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Why give up a sure bet top 4 dmen in Juolevi and a top 9 forward to rent for 1 year of a top 4 dmen especially if you can get him in a year for free given the rumour?

Exactly. Just wait a season and add Barrie to Juolevi and Virtanen still on the team. We are better with all three on the team. 

17 hours ago, aGENT said:

Great news if it turns out that way!

Indeed. We get to add 50+ point dman for free, yes!

If that's indeed Barrie's intention then, giving up 10th overall + Jake would have been a huge mistake. In fact, Sakic tried to rob us of 10th + Jake for a player he knew is coming to us anyways. F*ck you Burnaby Joe. The dude lit up the Canucks as a player and now he is trying to lit us up as manager. 

In 2020 if Tryamkin comes back and Barrie signs, we are going to have a heck of a backend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Things can change and we also need him now. I can’t see the Canucks being competitive without an addition like this.

On 6/25/2019 at 1:59 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Business acumen is far less related to even coaching, I'd say.  You need the right demeanor and interpersonal skills to coach, and success as a player doesn't necessarily translate, as we see with lower-end talents like Crawford and Quenneville compared to generational like Gretzky.  But having high-end hockey sense when playing the game has no correlation with being an insightful or shrewd businessman.

I think a lot of it too comes down to cognitively watching talent around them for so many years. I play volleyball and by no means am a great player, but I've observed lots of great players that allows me to reiterate that information to others. I think it can go both ways where a talented player can be a great coach, but it seems that high end talented players aren't always the best coaches. 

7 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Get Myers. Barely miss playoffs. Win lottery. Sign Barrie. Make playoffs. Suck it Tampa. :emot-parrot:

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Things can change and we also need him now. I can’t see the Canucks being competitive without an addition like this.

We don't need him now.  If we miss the playoffs, we still get a lottery pick.  We need him for 2021 to make the playoffs. We can't give up on Juolevi until we see what he can do in the NHL because it would be horrible if a 5th overall pick busts for us.

Edited by FireGillis
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, grandmaster said:

We don't need to build Rome in one day.

Sign a Myers/Stralman this year on top of Hughes and likely Juolevi later this season (as well as a depth Hutton replacement).

Add Barrie (with no assets given up) and Tryamkin next season.