The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks aggressively pursuing Tyson Barrie

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I agree, and Colorado has lots in the pipeline, wonder what this takes though to make happen. Not going to be cheap, would think it starts with the #10 OA

if trouba gets #20 and pionk, barrie does not get #10

trouba >>barrie

barrie for tanev and 2020 1st lottery protected is fair

does Colorado have any good goalie prospects?

Barrie for Tanev + Dipietro + Sutter 50% retained (or baertschi)

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, mll said:

Fenton says that Zucker understands it's a business - he spoke to both him and his agent.  He also says that it's incorrect to presume that he absolutely wants to move him.

The Wild have too many left wingers.  They only have 1 right shot in their top-9.  Fenton confirmed he is looking for a scoring right-shot either by trade or free agency.  Zucker is really their only trade chip.  The other Fs were just added and are still young - Fiala, Donato, Greenway, Kunin are still developing and part of their future.  Parise has a NMC and a recapture contract.  Staal and Koivu are slowing down.  Rask has no trade value.

He's their only trade chip and has "traded" him twice and he doesn't want to absolutely move him? Zucker may understand it's a business, but clearly the team has moved on from him. Playing on a team because of business isn't going to be motivating. Fenton thinks it's unfortunate that the news became public because he knows that's only going to hurt his trade value. He's now trying to spin it back for value that he doesn't necessarily have to move him (which he doesn't), but the writing is on the wall and teams will know this. Minnesota is going to basically either wait it out and hopefully the market makes him the best available player back for trade or take the best deal he can get and move on from the situation before the league starts filling up their spots leaving him less teams to work with. They could hang onto for the season and if an unmotivated Zucker comes to play, that only lowers his value. Minnesota could be forced to play him in situations to boost his value, but it would take away from building the team they want now to push them to another level.

2 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

if trouba gets #20 and pionk, barrie does not get #10

trouba >>barrie

barrie for tanev and 2020 1st lottery protected is fair

does Colorado have any good goalie prospects?

Barrie for Tanev + Dipietro + Sutter 50% retained (or baertschi)

Trouba was an RFA who didn’t want to play there would have held Winnipeg hostage if they didn’t trade him. Winnipeg made out well all things considering. Barrie is under contract so it’s slightly different. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Of course bigger is always better....but those are limited quantities and comes with a hefty price tag.  You might have to wait until Petterson is 35 years old until you find one.  

Nashville is labelled as one of the best defense corpse in the league, yet they have 1 guy that's above 6'01".  I don't think there is a model to follow, just build your team with the resources available to you and create your own identity.

We simply can't have Hughes, Stecher, and Barrie on the defence core.  Our defence would get slaughtered in the playoffs and you know it.

1 or 2 small guys is ok, but you can't have 3 in your 6.  

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

We simply can't have Hughes, Stecher, and Barrie on the defence core.  Our defence would get slaughtered in the playoffs and you know it.

Agree, if we ended up landing Barrie I am sure Stecher is on the block

2 hours ago, nergish said:

Nah, whatever assets we’re using for Barrie should be used to get Ristolainen.

Barrie is the better player today, but Risto seems poised to explode offensively and has the size.

Risto is horrible defensively. Just as bad as Gardiner.

Barrie would be awesome on our backend. We don't have exactly have a surplus of 50 point defenseman that can move the puck and control the pace of the game. He's a local kid that has 1 year left on his contract. He's been one of the most productive dmen in the last 7-8 years. People are acting like were going to make the playoffs this year and are looking to make a Cinderella run to the Stanley cup. We have a few years before we can do that and can look to add size later in the year or next year. We have Hughes and Stetcher that are our smaller guys. We can absolutely add Barrie and add 3 defenseman with size once Tanev and Hutton are gone. Who knows Trymakin might come back, we might draft Seider, and we already have our dman version of Jake Virtanen in Jet Woo and don't forget Juolevi likely is close to 6`1-6'2 and 210-215 lbs by the time he becomes a mainstay on this roster. I couldn't think of another defenseman better than Barrie for Hughes to learn from.

Whats up with this new infatuation with size? We did this crap after Boston beat us in 2011 and it did nothing for us.

A balanced defense core:

Hughes Barrie

Juolevi Woo

Trymakin Stetcher

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

McCavoy 6'00"

Krug 5'09"

Grzelcyk 5'09"

And don't give me the excuse that the Blues slaughtered them.   They were 1 win away from a Stanley Cup.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

He's their only trade chip and has "traded" him twice and he doesn't want to absolutely move him? Zucker may understand it's a business, but clearly the team has moved on from him. Playing on a team because of business isn't going to be motivating. Fenton thinks it's unfortunate that the news became public because he knows that's only going to hurt his trade value. He's now trying to spin it back for value that he doesn't necessarily have to move him (which he doesn't), but the writing is on the wall and teams will know this. Minnesota is going to basically either wait it out and hopefully the market makes him the best available player back for trade or take the best deal he can get and move on from the situation before the league starts filling up their spots leaving him less teams to work with. They could hang onto for the season and if an unmotivated Zucker comes to play, that only lowers his value. Minnesota could be forced to play him in situations to boost his value, but it would take away from building the team they want now to push them to another level.

There are plenty of teams calling and many believe that he will be moved at the draft in Vancouver.  

Zucker would certainly prefer for things to work out in Minnesota.  His wife and kids will not follow him because his wife shares custody of her 1st daughter.  That's some pretty good motivation to do well if he is ultimately not traded.  

It sounds like Fenton's outlook has slightly changed from earlier this year.  At the TDL they were talking about how they were going to be a playoff team and compete now.  His most recent interview last week seems to be more prudent - he talks of how their young players need to take the next step in their development.  

Edited by mll

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why would we pay assets for Barrie, who is a UFA in one season?  I guess we could get him if the cost wasn't too much.  

He would probably resign with us.. maybe at a home town discount?!

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

4/6 are under 6 feet 

I'm not sure that height is as much of a factor as:

• combined height/weight, and
  • the physical capability of a player to manage being hit, and doling out the physicality to deter being a target.

Just being tall really doesn't mean squat. Take Andrew Alberts for example. He was a large defenseman, but he didn't have a presence that made others on the ice take notice.

1 minute ago, timberz21 said:

McCavoy 6'00"

Krug 5'09"

Grzelcyk 5'09"

And don't give me the excuse that the Blues slaughtered them.   They were 1 win away from a Stanley Cup.

The Bruins won when the Blues were off their game.  When the Blues were playing their hard forecheck game, Boston had no answer.  If not for Rask, it wouldn't have gone to 7 (and a Chara playing with a broken jaw).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

It does make some sense if Colorado is confident in getting Byram.  Canucks have been connected to wanting him for at least a couple years now.  Barrie has a year left after which he is likely going to be paid big.  Would be another small guy along with Stecher and Hughes, but that's the way things seem to be going.  Big question of course -- what's the cost?  Maybe Stecher has to go back, along with a high pick and a good forward, or maybe he's told them he intends to go UFA and we can eke out a Trouba-like trade.

This is what I'm thinking. I don't think Barrie gets more back in a trade than Trouba. Something like Hutton, 2019 2nd round pick, Lind, maybe something else small? Would that be enough? I think it's in the ballpark but it's a lot of spare parts and Sakic may prefer a bigger piece coming back.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't think "right" is the word either way.   It is just chatter.   Nothing from either club but more from people around those organizations, scouts etc. and it is beer-o-clock and people chat.   Same places you hear things like who is and who isn't likely to re-sign.   Rarely 100% accurate but if you keep track of all you hear, it tends to point in a direction that is at least somewhat credible.   What amazes me is all these "rumours" one hears and people quote on boards like this - some are actually pretty legit and I wonder if the poster is actually someone I know or not.   

Funny, I am always trying to be very careful about things that I hear.  

Have some NHL players and a bunch of family in our practice so have to be very careful about things I hear directly so really only comment on things that come up on the board.  

Canada is such a small place in so many ways, as you know throwing a stone in Southern Ontario you are going to hit someone in or around pro-hockey.

Just glad to hear that there is some chatter or potential interest in Sutter.  

Suspect anything with him would be in season or deadline after he demonstrates he is healthy.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, mll said:

Holland wants to build a contender for the long term.  They are not 1 player away.  

I dont think oilers would be foolish enough to think barrie turn them into a contender. He’s 28 years old. Trading and signing him is a long term move. It would be no different than canucks showing interest in him. 

In Detroit he was also forced to hand out unreasonable contracts because they had no one coming.  Can't see him putting himself in that situation.  Sakic in May said he was going to talk to Barrie about an extension - for him to be now available suggest that they don't agree on the numbers.  

The landscape has changed since May. as Elliot Friedman stated. barrie has to be one of the happiest people after seeing that Karlsson contract. He’s going to get paid and paid big. He also stated that sakic is talking about his options and said if they do it, it will be a hockey move. That would mean they are open to the idea. 

Holland needs players that want to be in Edmonton and not end up overpaying them to retain them.  He also needs more players coming up through the system.  

Its Edmonton. No one wants to play and live in that city. But with that said. I’m sure playing on the PP with the games best player sure would help ease his pain. 

If they want Barrie they can always try next year in free agency rather than give up an asset.

Sure but there are no guarantees that he’s still available. The team that trades for him could sign him before he hits UFA. 

5 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

This is what I'm thinking. I don't think Barrie gets more back in a trade than Trouba. Something like Hutton, 2019 2nd round pick, Lind, maybe something else small? Would that be enough? I think it's in the ballpark but it's a lot of spare parts and Sakic may prefer a bigger piece coming back.

Unless they move a LD they have no use for Hutton.  Barrie is available because their right side is getting crowded with Timmins hopefully able to play next season.

Zadorov Johnson

Girard Makar

Cole Timmins

They are looking for a top-6 F in return.  

2 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

They're looking for immediate help in their top 6. To me the only guys we can part with on the wing which would qualify (barely) as top 6 forwards would be Baertschi and Pearson. Baertschi would be a legitimate top 6 guy if not for his concussion history. Pearson we just traded for and they like what they saw with him and Horvat. So I'm not seeing much of a fit in a trade. All signs are indicating that the Avs are in win now mode, they don't care much for futures.

This one I'm definitely intrigued by, as I have no idea what kind of deal we can pitch them that makes sense for both teams. I'd love to know what JB is offering.

We can send them futures that they can flip somewhere else for immediate help.