The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Defense: Juolevi, Woo

Rate this topic

JJP

53 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

We need either Juolevi or Woo to pan out or JB will be overpaying for a UfA  Dman. IMO for us to succeed, we need to have 1-2 players from each draft to be a difference maker to be a legitimate contender. The last five cup winners have had huge contributions from their own drafted players.Blues (Schwartz, Pietrangelo, Binnington, Parayko, Edmundson, Thomas) Caps ( Ovie, Backstrom, Kuzy, Holtby, Wilson, Beagle) Pens (Sid, Gino, Letang, Murray, Guentzel) Hawks (Toews,  Kane , Kieth, Seabrook,) 

cant depend on UFA’s or trades to take us to the promised lad. 

You're exactly right.  The core of top teams is drafted (mostly) and the GM has to support that core through trades and free agency.  Here's our core:  Petey, Horvat, Boeser and Hughes.  Is that it?  Maybe.  Let's add Demko, Juolevi, Marky.....2019 1st.....

Of course I'm guessing but you get my point.

Now, Benning is trying to add a few important pieces to support the group just like in the past when he added Vrbata, Vanek, Sutter, Gudbranson and others to support the core of the day.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

We need either Juolevi or Woo to pan out or JB will be overpaying for a UfA  Dman. IMO for us to succeed, we need to have 1-2 players from each draft to be a difference maker to be a legitimate contender. The last five cup winners have had huge contributions from their own drafted players.Blues (Schwartz, Pietrangelo, Binnington, Parayko, Edmundson, Thomas) Caps ( Ovie, Backstrom, Kuzy, Holtby, Wilson, Beagle) Pens (Sid, Gino, Letang, Murray, Guentzel) Hawks (Toews,  Kane , Kieth, Seabrook,) 

cant depend on UFA’s or trades to take us to the promised lad. 

WE have Petey,Brock,Bo,Hughes and Demko...…….Just sayin.::D

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, JJP said:

Do we want Tanev traded though? 

He is one of our most stable defensive defensemen 

Maybe but we need to work on our overall depth because it's fine to have a full roster of D but you know how we are with injuries.. hopefully JB continues to address issue with ncaa or otherwise so we don't lose so many games and miss the playoffs because of it, we lost quite a few games last year and the year before by 1 goal and even a small but substantial upgrade should solve that as JB keeps at it and also we should be getting Train back next season so we should continue to move forward in that respect. 

20 hours ago, JJP said:

That's fair, I agree 

Would you say this is a solid lineup as a playoff team? Assuming we get a solid top4 RHD and a decent bottom paring guy or Schenn 

Edler - D from Trade

Hughes - Tanev

Free Agent D - Stecher

Juoelevi - Schenn

Crossing fingers for a new and improved version "edler" in the form of Solderstrom for Eddie to mentor.. just needs some nhl experience by the looks of it, pretty sure he'd make first call up after being assigned to utica... rather have zegras but see what happens today. Andddddd JB, Ferland pls!!! Best version of keith tkachuk i've seen in awhile, tough as nails sniper the first line desperately needs

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

WE have Petey,Brock,Bo,Hughes and Demko...…….Just sayin.::D

And we snagged Beagle off that list :)

Hope JV comes back and shows more progression, same with Gaudette.. was like Bo really, just needed to shore up his defensive game before turning loose his hobey baker scoring skills, still say he's underrated by a lot of people but like most guys who needed exp in the bigs before cranking it up a notch which we had a few glimpes of last season 

On 6/20/2019 at 1:13 PM, JJP said:

Do we want Tanev traded though? 

He is one of our most stable defensive defensemen 

No.  He IS our most stable defensemen.  The team plays light years better with him in the lineup.  The only people trying to trade him are the media guys like Sat Shah who will never understand that guys like Tanev help you win. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Wondering if there could be an interest-based deal to be had with Vegas.  Perhaps taking on Clarksons contract  (or another premium priced guy on a shorter term deal) and package that with Hague?   Vegas desperately needs cap space but already is flush with picks so maybe a pick swap involving Hague?  Hague isn't the exact player we need right now but projects to be that guy when our core is truly maturing. There's a couple other guys but that's a rabbit hole if you know what I mean.

Sign me up  if it's on offer!

On 6/21/2019 at 1:36 PM, EddieVedder said:

No.  He IS our most stable defensemen.  The team plays light years better with him in the lineup.  The only people trying to trade him are the media guys like Sat Shah who will never understand that guys like Tanev help you win. 

He is a stable guy. When he's healthy.

He's also on an expiring contract and contrary to the generic 'I love it here and want to extend' quotes that almost every player makes, I'm pretty sure he's heading back East where the play and travel are both easier and he's closer to home. Whether we trade him for assets or he walks next July.

Personally, I'd rather get assets.

Best way to do that is now, before he has any injuries and isn't available for trade (again). Added bonus in that we can also sign a short term replacement July 1, like say Stralman. Then wait for kids to arrive/Tryamkin to return.

Besides that, I hope we see a trade. Miller, Ristolainen or whoever Benning and co unearth.

If I had my druthers, we'd see:

Edler, trade/UFA(Stralman?)

Hughes, trade/UFA

UFA (Benn?), Stecher

Tanev and Hutton traded, Juolevi first injury call up and play a solid 30+ games between injuries and swapping with Benn if everyone's healthy.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

On 6/20/2019 at 7:38 PM, Fanuck said:

Wondering if there could be an interest-based deal to be had with Vegas.  Perhaps taking on Clarksons contract  (or another premium priced guy on a shorter term deal) and package that with Hague?   Vegas desperately needs cap space but already is flush with picks so maybe a pick swap involving Hague?  Hague isn't the exact player we need right now but projects to be that guy when our core is truly maturing. There's a couple other guys but that's a rabbit hole if you know what I mean.

Would love to add Hague.  

46 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

JB must think that the college ranks are the way to restock his D 

Last season JB added Teves, Brogan, Hughes, Woo and Rathbone.  

4 of these young guys will.be at camp.  Hoping Woo gets a 9 game call up.  It would do wonders for his development.  

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 7:19 PM, Warhippy said:

What?

At the NHL level he would be.  He was mediocre defensively at the AHL level even when sheltered.  Plays way too passively.  Would get eaten alive at the NHL.  But that’s just my opinion.  Another person watching a Comets game last season might arrive at a different conclusion.

On 6/20/2019 at 1:13 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

Based on how he does in training camp. If he comes in and wows everyone, he stands a good chance on making it in on the third pairing. That being said, this also depends on who Benning signs or trades for in the coming weeks.

Hard to say, really. Both have the physical stature to make it. Really, it's a matter of where their overall game is, and how they're able to acclimate to the NHL.

Tanev might be traded before the beginning of the season, as might Hutton. Schenn, if signed, will probably slot in on the 3rd pairing.

That is what Benning has mentioned, either through free agency or a trade.

You got yourself a deal.

A lot will have to do with whether JB moves Hutton as the team is really deep at LD and Hutton looks to be the odd man out, which is a shame because his game really improved last year. If they move Hutton and don't sign an LD that will open the door for OJ to win the spot out of camp. If not, Sautner impressed me last year and could keep the spot warm until OJ is ready.

Right now I can't see them moving Tanev unless they get a RD back. The organization is very short on RD. Bulldog doesn't play 40 games for a playoff contender. I know RD is high on JB's priority list, hence the Barrie trade talk, because the team's best RD in the system not playing in the NHL is Woo.

This is based on current roster:

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Tanev

OJ/Hutton/Sautner - Schenn/Woo

Bulldog

Fingers crossed for Woo to have an amazing camp and force management to keep him.