The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Defense: Juolevi, Woo

Rate this topic

JJP

16 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

A lot will have to do with whether JB moves Hutton as the team is really deep at LD and Hutton looks to be the odd man out, which is a shame because his game really improved last year. If they move Hutton and don't sign an LD that will open the door for OJ to win the spot out of camp. If not, Sautner impressed me last year and could keep the spot warm until OJ is ready.

Right now I can't see them moving Tanev unless they get a RD back. The organization is very short on RD. Bulldog doesn't play 40 games for a playoff contender. I know RD is high on JB's priority list, hence the Barrie trade talk, because the team's best RD in the system not playing in the NHL is Woo.

This is based on current roster:

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Tanev

OJ/Hutton/Sautner - Schenn/Woo

Bulldog

Fingers crossed for Woo to have an amazing camp and force management to keep him.

I think Hutton and Tanev will be playing for other teams this fall. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/20/2019 at 4:13 PM, JJP said:

Do we want Tanev traded though? 

He is one of our most stable defensive defensemen 

Stable on the ice; when he’s on the ice.

When he’s not, the taxing becomes a thing.

It’s kind of like in a sales office where the agent who makes 60% of your sales takes three month off per year and you suffer the taxing effect it has on everyone else.

Edited by Me_

1 minute ago, Brovat said:

As other guys come in to eat up minutes Tanev will stay “more” healthy. 

I think that ship has sailed. Two years ago, three years ago, maybe.

But now, it’s pretty much assured Tanev will miss a good chunk of time.

Just now, Me_ said:

I think that ship has sailed. Two years ago, three years ago, maybe.

But now, it’s pretty much assured Tanev will miss a good chunk of time.

Part of it is just how he plays the game. Puts his body on the line with no ducks to give. I love that about the guy. Other part is his deployment being put in those situations. I think as time goes on trust in the other dmen grows and he isn’t counted on quite as much to protect the lead. If the forwards score more that would help as well. 

This is just my opinion but I think shutdown guys on lottery teams probably wind up hurt more than on top teams. Makes sense right? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Brovat said:

Part of it is just how he plays the game. Puts his body on the line with no ducks to give. I love that about the guy. Other part is his deployment being put in those situations. I think as time goes on trust in the other dmen grows and he isn’t counted on quite as much to protect the lead. If the forwards score more that would help as well. 

This is just my opinion but I think shutdown guys on lottery teams probably wind up hurt more than on top teams. Makes sense right? 

agreed he has to play all the hard minutes and PK. He needs more support that what we have currently.

The only thing i disagree with is if the forwards score more. Scoring in the NHL often is a result of good play from the Defense. Turnovers at our blue line and theirs, good first pass out of the zone. Shots getting through from the point to create rebounds. And can we have a point man that can actually score a goal? The power play was a lot better this year when Petey and Brock were healthy, however Edler had one, count it one goal on the power play in a calendar year. That's just not going to get it done. we need better options on the PP and hopefully Hughes can help there because the only Canuck D man that can get the puck through on the power play is Biega and he shouldn't be in our line up regularly as much as i love his heart and desire.

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

agreed he has to play all the hard minutes and PK. He needs more support that what we have currently.

The only thing i disagree with is if the forwards score more. Scoring in the NHL often is a result of good play from the Defense. Turnovers at our blue line and theirs, good first pass out of the zone. Shots getting through from the point to create rebounds. And can we have a point man that can actually score a goal? The power play was a lot better this year when Petey and Brock were healthy, however Edler had one, count it one goal on the power play in a calendar year. That's just not going to get it done. we need better options on the PP and hopefully Hughes can help there because the only Canuck D man that can get the puck through on the power play is Biega and he shouldn't be in our line up regularly as much as i love his heart and desire.

So we’re basically saying the same things. Score more. Tanev isn’t PP material and never will be (for all the things he is) but they do have some good looking kids for that. 

3 minutes ago, Brovat said:

So we’re basically saying the same things. Score more. Tanev isn’t PP material and never will be (for all the things he is) but they do have some good looking kids for that. 

Um you said the forwards should score more. Im saying the D can help them do that by providing better support as well. Just like the F have to support defensively the D have to on offense as well. im not arguing your point we need to score more, i am pointing out how we do that will have to come from the D as well.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Um you said the forwards should score more. Im saying the D can help them do that by providing better support as well. Just like the F have to support defensively the D have to on offense as well. im not arguing your point we need to score more, i am pointing out how we do that will have to come from the D as well.

Yeah. We’re saying the same isht. 1915. 

5 hours ago, Brovat said:

He's also really slight.

38 minutes ago, Brovat said:

Compared to?

Me I guess haha. Bo Horvat.

There are lots of pictures floating around of him on the internet and he has chicken arms. I could be making this up as well but didn't someone like Bieksa comment on how skinny he was?

19 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Me I guess haha. Bo Horvat.

There are lots of pictures floating around of him on the internet and he has chicken arms. I could be making this up as well but didn't someone like Bieksa comment on how skinny he was?

I dunno I’m like 5’10 205ish and I’m not a big guy but I can hold my own. I’m not a Manlet by definition. 

Size of of the dog in the fight etc.