The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Capitals may not qualify Andre Burakovsky

We were rumored to be in on him around the TDL as a "buy low" player with potentially huge upside. I was listening to the Caps radio dude on NHL Radio the other day and he said Burakovsky can be fascinating and frustrating on the same shift. He said he tends to get lazy with his feet, but his hands are lethal. I would swap him for Goldy (lower cap hit) and a 3rd/4th in a heartbeat though. I doubt Ovie would complain about another Russian lol.  

It might be the same situation where the Canucks this past year did with Pouliot.  not qualify him, that way they don't have to sign the qualifying deal that would mandate a slight increase in salary.

Caps may choose to renegotiate a lower number with Andre.

11 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Finally! We are in a position of power in that we have the upper hand on teams with a gluttony of good players and not enough Cap Space. I hope JB waits them out and pounces on the great deals to be had.

This!

tenor.gif

• Haha 3

If Burakovsky is not qualified, then the Canucks might as well wait to free agency instead of giving up assets to acquire him AND having to qualify him at a higher salary.

Management seems to be kicking the tires on a number of different options so if they were really that high on Burakovsky, I presume we would have seen a deal by now.  His QO is quite high for his production level so far so it makes sense to let him hit FA and see what the market is like for him.

44 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/burakovsky-may-not-get-offer-from-capitals/c-307939070

According to NHL.com, the lower than expected cap increase could lead to the Capitals not qualifying Burakovsky. Should the Canucks take a look at him?

No thanks. We already have lots bottom 6 forwards plus guys like Baer and Goldy. No need for Burakovsky.

24 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No thanks. We already have lots bottom 6 forwards plus guys like Baer and Goldy. No need for Burakovsky.

Agreed, we should be addressing "Needs" and not "nice to haves". We are in the drivers seat.

RIght now our "Needs" are top 6 forward, top 4 man and team toughness

• Like 1

With the salary cap not really going up and lots of teams reaching the cap.... there may be lots of "league minimum" contracts for many "middle-class" players.  Kinda like what happen with Morrison, Malhotra, Anson Carter, etc... guys who are legit middle-6 NHLers having to take a big paycut to stay in the NHL.  

14 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Agreed, we should be addressing "Needs" and not "nice to haves". We are in the drivers seat.

RIght now our "Needs" are top 6 forward, top 4 man and team toughness

Uh - that's not reason to neglect to look at the broader opportunities.

And Burakovsky is a 23 year old - who has scored 145 NHL points (.44 ppg in his young career) - wasn't exactly spoon-fed minutes for production last year - ie his production is misleading and would lead people to under-rate him imo.  Assuming he couldn't rise to a top 6 role - might be premature.

He's also a LW with size and speed to go with the upside - again assuming that he couldn't 'capitalize' on the Canucks need for a left winger for EP.  His one limitation in that sense might be that you may want a bit heavier option still - but relative to Goldobin - and as another player in the mix competing to earn minutes - you could do worse.

I'd seriously consider acquiring him in a Goldy type hockey trade - and wouldn't assume that he's the or an answer - but would go out and continue to look to add another guy to compete for a top 6 role.

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1