The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Cap Situation

Rate this topic

JJP

With Edler signed we have roughly 23.5 mil left in our cap space. 

Sign Boeser for 7~8 mil 

Sign Leivo for 2~3 mil 

Sign Goldy for 1 mil 

Sign Schenn for 1.5 mil 

We are left with roughly 10~10.5 mil 

If we sign or trade for a top 4 d men for roughly 7~8 mil 

what is our plan for adding a top 6 forward granted we have about 2 mil to spend? 

Those numbers are all loosely projected numbers, but I am not sure how we can improve the forward group with those numbers

3 minutes ago, JJP said:

Sign Boeser for 7~8 mil 

Sign Leivo for 2~3 mil 

Sign Goldy for 1 mil 

Sign Schenn for 1.5 mil 

what is our plan for adding a top 6 forward granted we have about 2 mil to spend? 

Those numbers are all loosely projected numbers, but I am not sure how we can improve the forward group with those numbers

Do the math and subtract the outgoing contracts 

1 minute ago, spur1 said:

Do the math and subtract the outgoing contracts 

Which contracts are you referring to..? 

We're not even sure if we're unloading Sutter or Baertschi at this point. 

7 minutes ago, JJP said:

We have to see what comes back for Tanev and then perhaps we can ship off Spooner and Schaller to Ottawa for a draft pick, and by this I mean we would pay a draft pick, which will clear up some space. And then we're still waiting to see what JB does with LE.

Edited by aliboy

16 minutes ago, JJP said:

Sign Boeser for 7~8 mil 

Sign Leivo for 2~3 mil 

Sign Goldy for 1 mil 

Sign Schenn for 1.5 mil 

And then figure, Eriksson will be going somewhere, even it its Utica, but even in that scenario, we save roughly 1 million off cap.

7 minutes ago, JJP said:

For every player that is added there will be a player leaving. You are talking of adding 2 players. So it stands to reason there will be 2 leaving. Witch means there will be more than 2 mil left. 

8 minutes ago, spur1 said:

For every player that is added there will be a player leaving. You are talking of adding 2 players. So it stands to reason there will be 2 leaving. Witch means there will be more than 2 mil left. 

That's Hutton (Unsigned at this moment) and Pouliot both won't effect salary cap 

4 minutes ago, spur1 said:

How is that a given?

Signing someone via FA or trading draft picks/ELCs (of players likely to start in Utica) would not increase cap space.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, JJP said:

Zero chance you’re getting a top 4 D via trade without a major piece going the other way (I don’t see Benning moving out any 1st rounders & 2nd round picks will get you rentals of dubious value at the trade deadline).  Non blue chip guys (blue chip I mean guys like Woo or better) won’t get you a top 4 D.  This means a major Canuck roster player (a guy like Granlund will get you a 3rd pairing guy).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

19 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Zero chance you’re getting a top 4 D via trade without a major piece going the other way (I don’t see Benning moving out any 1st rounders & 2nd round picks will get you rentals of dubious value at the trade deadline).  Non blue chip guys (blue chip I mean guys like Woo or better) won’t get you a top 4 D.  This means a major Canuck roster player (a guy like Granlund will get you a 3rd pairing guy).

Zero chance? There is some teams that have "Zero Chance" that they can keep the players they currently have on their roster given salary cap restraints. I think you should rethink your "zero chance" theory. ::D

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, JJP said:

That's Hutton (Unsigned at this moment) and Pouliot both won't effect salary cap 

Pouliot isn't coming back, he's done in Vancouver. I doubt we qualify Hutton, due to arbitration rights, and the scary comparable contract that was recently signed, so we try to sign him to something reasonable or he's also gone.

1 hour ago, JJP said:

Sign Boeser for 7~8 mil 

Sign Leivo for 2~3 mil 

Sign Goldy for 1 mil 

Sign Schenn for 1.5 mil 

This is the summeriest summer ever on CDC - and it is officially not summer in Canada for another 9 hours in the west.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Zero chance? There is some teams that have "Zero Chance" that they can keep the players they currently have on their roster given salary cap restraints. I think you should rethink your "zero chance" theory. ::D

Ok, Jim Carey type of chance.:P    It’s my opinion that teams will sacrifice elsewhere in their lineup than weaken their blueline without getting something major in return.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, JJP said:

Sign Boeser for 7~8 mil 

Sign Leivo for 2~3 mil 

Sign Goldy for 1 mil 

Sign Schenn for 1.5 mil 

What about Hutton and Motte?

The $23mil on 21 contracts means we only add 2 more, and that some of the above replace others.  For example, Leivo could replace Schaller directly, so could be zero cost.  Likewise Schenn for Sautner adds less than $1mil.  We could put Motte or Goldy in for Spooner and send him to the minors, which is near-scratch.  Likewise any UFAs replace one of those 21 so you have to subtract them out, not net add.

So add Boeser and Hutton for $11mil and you have $12mil to spend, and subtract the salary of those the UFA(s) replace.

Edited by Hutton Wink
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, aliboy said:

Pouliot isn't coming back, he's done in Vancouver. I doubt we qualify Hutton, due to arbitration rights, and the scary comparable contract that was recently signed, so we try to sign him to something reasonable or he's also gone.

Not really a scary comparable at all..?

Edler's a vet and leader on this team, was +3 last year playing over 24 mins a game, signed a short term contract which usually means a slight bump in pay. Outscored Hutton 2:1. 

Hutton showed some progress last year after regression following his rookie year, but not really enough to warrant a huge bump in pay. Good guy and likable but doesn't bring the same intangibles as a 13 year Canuck vet. -23 playing 22 mins a game and put up just over half the points Edler did. 

20 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Not really a scary comparable at all..?

Edler's a vet and leader on this team, was +3 last year playing over 24 mins a game, signed a short term contract which usually means a slight bump in pay. Outscored Hutton 2:1. 

Hutton showed some progress last year after regression following his rookie year, but not really enough to warrant a huge bump in pay. Good guy and likable but doesn't bring the same intangibles as a 13 year Canuck vet. -23 playing 22 mins a game and put up just over half the points Edler did. 

Edler's contract is not the comparable for Hutton, and yes it is a scary situation, or a situation to avoid, we don't want to end up with an overpaid defenceman. 

This explains the problem.

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Carol-Schram/Will-Esa-Lindells-58-million-cap-hit-impact-RFA-Ben-Huttons-next-deal/194/99539

Also, the Ottawa GM has gone on record as saying they aren't going to be very active on July 1st, so read in between the lines and they might be open to taking some contracts, for the right price.

Edited by aliboy

39 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

What about Hutton and Motte?

The $23mil on 21 contracts means we only add 2 more, and that some of the above replace others.  For example, Leivo could replace Schaller directly, so could be zero cost.  Likewise Schenn for Sautner adds less than $1mil.  We could put Motte or Goldy in for Spooner and send him to the minors, which is near-scratch.  Likewise any UFAs replace one of those 21 so you have to subtract them out, not net add.

So add Boeser and Hutton for $11mil and you have $12mil to spend, and subtract the salary of those the UFA(s) replace.

So you want us to sign Hutton for how much?