The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Cap Situation

Rate this topic

JJP

27 minutes ago, aliboy said:

Edler's contract is not the comparable for Hutton, and yes it is a scary situation, or a situation to avoid, we don't want to end up with an overpaid defenceman. 

This explains the problem.

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Carol-Schram/Will-Esa-Lindells-58-million-cap-hit-impact-RFA-Ben-Huttons-next-deal/194/99539

Also, the Ottawa GM has gone on record as saying they aren't going to be very active on July 1st, so read in between the lines and they might be open to taking some contracts, for the right price.

I haven't watched Lindell play much, but that article sure doesn't sell the fact that they are comparable.. 

- #1 penalty killer

- x2+ more goals than hutton almost doubt points 

Sounds to me like more of an Edler comparable.. 

The $4.39M arbitration cutoff is news to me and I get the worry, but at the same time I don't see how an arbitrator could give Hutty more than that (although I understand its possible)

As to teams being in so-called cap trouble....call up Dr. Recchi to make-up a diagnosis:

"Lightning's Callahan has been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in his back so... long-term IR. Off the hook."

Dr. Recchi:  "Another satisfied customer".

30 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

As to teams being in so-called cap trouble....call up Dr. Recchi to make-up a diagnosis:

"Lightning's Callahan has been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in his back so... long-term IR. Off the hook."

As rumored that the Cap is going to Drop this year, there are many other teams that are going to have to get "creative" such as TB. Going to be fun to watch for sure. Love it.:lol:

I find it a bit refreshing we're even having this discussion, heard a lot of "sign sign sign all the stars who will play here" not taking into consideration cap at all but on point, there's what happens to the increase or decrease of it too so not just easy as it seems being a GM as some would think when you have to take all aspects of the game and make it all work. Cool that this thread is on the forum and members responding :) makes it worth being on it in the first place. Sometimes it can get.. well you know.. 

• Cheers 1

I cannot remember who I was "discussing with" last summer but I stated then that the CAP will plateau and even come backwards over the next decade.   There are harsh economic realities in North America that are coming.    Europe has seen it.  Australia is seeing it.   China is seeing it.   The North American markets have had too long a run not to correct and real estate in places like the West Coast of North America are far in excess of historical norms in relation to income.   It isn't sustainable.   People will eat and put roofs over their families before buying season's tickets and major cable network packages.   

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I cannot remember who I was "discussing with" last summer but I stated then that the CAP will plateau and even come backwards over the next decade.   There are harsh economic realities in North America that are coming.    Europe has seen it.  Australia is seeing it.   China is seeing it.   The North American markets have had too long a run not to correct and real estate in places like the West Coast of North America are far in excess of historical norms in relation to income.   It isn't sustainable.   People will eat and put roofs over their families before buying season's tickets and major cable network packages.   

Were you 'round at the time, RZ? I started a whole thread with this theme a few months back. It's a big reason I keep hard-selling the notion that we should avoid pricey FA's & go slow & deliberate.

The Sh*t hits the fan soon, & contractual-obligations are best kept humble.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

To plagiarize “the times are a changing “. 

33 minutes ago, KeslerWho? said:

Don't need to sign a Top 4 D, because we're moving up tomorrow and drafting Byram baby!!!!!!! :towel:

Byram would be incredible, but what could we possibly offer without gutting the team?

Whoever’s pick we’re targeting will want guys with more promise than Virtanen, Gaudette, or Juolevi to go along with #10..

Just now, nergish said:

Byram would be incredible, but what could we possibly offer without gutting the team?

Whoever’s pick we’re targeting will want guys with more promise than Virtanen, Gaudette, or Juolevi to go along with #10..

We'd probably have to throw in more picks, but that might let us add a lower Defensive prospect or roster player like Hutton. We could recoup some picks by trading Tanev

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That was me.   People kept going to games in 2009 during he worst crisis since the Great Depression, and the players kept getting their 10%plus cap raises year in year out ... you have to wonder if it ever will stop going up.  Especially when you look at what some players from the big three are getting ... more fans more games (except for basketball) helps this for sure.   I agree that housing is ridiculous now in Vancouver, and in BC a little everywhere too, just like it has been for decades in San Francisco and a few other places ... but not really anywhere else (yet).     

But pretty sure they will get their season tickets sold, same as pretty much everywhere else, athletes will get richer and people will turn to hockey and their sports the same way they have in the past for cheap entertainment on the TV etc...  remember us doing this back and forth ha ha.  

That said salaries did get rolled back once before (20%), so you never do know what’s in the future, but that was to install the cap in the first place. 

Edit: Happy Draft Day RZ,  no I don’t want to do this again I saw your post and it made me laugh because I remembered and felt a duty reply to carob orate.

Edited by IBatch

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Thinking similar about the cap.  It’s a false rise in the cap over the last few seasons.  Escrow is 15% to 20%.  The players have enacted the escalator option in previous years, only to give the money back, because revenues didn’t climb.  Canadian dollar is 25% less than US dollar.  Canadian teams support too many US teams.  

For anyone ignorant enouigh to think cap and money isn't important during a rebuild, look at what Carolina did today with Marleau and a few years ago with Teravainen, and what New Jersey did today with Subban.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

For anyone ignorant enouigh to think cap and money isn't important during a rebuild, look at what Carolina did today with Marleau and a few years ago with Teravainen, and what New Jersey did today with Subban.

I would have traded for Marleau 

On 6/21/2019 at 5:46 AM, IBatch said:

That was me.   People kept going to games in 2009 during he worst crisis since the Great Depression, and the players kept getting their 10%plus cap raises year in year out ... you have to wonder if it ever will stop going up.  Especially when you look at what some players from the big three are getting ... more fans more games (except for basketball) helps this for sure.   I agree that housing is ridiculous now in Vancouver, and in BC a little everywhere too, just like it has been for decades in San Francisco and a few other places ... but not really anywhere else (yet).     

But pretty sure they will get their season tickets sold, same as pretty much everywhere else, athletes will get richer and people will turn to hockey and their sports the same way they have in the past for cheap entertainment on the TV etc...  remember us doing this back and forth ha ha.  

That said salaries did get rolled back once before (20%), so you never do know what’s in the future, but that was to install the cap in the first place. 

Edit: Happy Draft Day RZ,  no I don’t want to do this again I saw your post and it made me laugh because I remembered and felt a duty reply to carob orate.

LOL.   Now I remember.   Hey, it was a hectic weekend - I was waaaay busier than expected but it was fun.   So many "almost" deals it felt like.   I expect with the CAP contraction that there will be more fireworks in the next few weeks.

• Cheers 1

On 6/20/2019 at 4:42 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Maybe we can hire Tonya Harding to deal with Loui ::D

• Haha 1