The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, rekker said:

They can acquire that me thinks. Their age of their core, Makur, who ever they get this year. They have two picks on the top 16 on top of that already young exciting lineup. I'm envious. 

Good point.  Kind of like what Nashville did to get RJ.  Always draft the player the team thinks will have the most value, so (if you do need to fill a hole) you can trade them and get the best return.  Centers and D, seem to have the most value. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Burke claiming this morning that "teams are willing to offer their first for another to take on a $3-4 mil contract", fwiw.

Cap must really be a problem, not just for this coming season, but for a couple.  Guys who are overpaid, and have term, like Lucic and Zaitsev, are going to be impossible to dump without big sweeteners.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Cap must really be a problem, not just for this coming season, but for a couple.  Guys who are overpaid, and have term, like Lucic and Zaitsev, are going to be impossible to dump without big sweeteners.  

Dubas says that there is a good chance that Marleau will remain a Leaf.  Cost to move him must be just too high.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

I agree.  The more I hear about the this kid the more I’m on board.  Racking up points on a crap team is impressive.  The fact that he stuck to his path and his goal to develop into an nhl’er on a weak team is commendable .

this is a throwback attitude for a young man.  Lots of undeniable character and that is what you win with.  Success does not come with an entitled player coming from a stacked team or line.

This is exactly why I always take the USNTDP numbers with a grain of salt (the scoring stats people, not the talent of their prospects).  They are ALL inflated numbers because every single player on the USNTDP is a hand-picked all-star of their age level.  What other league in NA is hand picking all-star level players and forming entire teams from these kids to play in a regular league somewhere?  We're not talking guys that make the team just because a WHL team has to fill a roster up.  The ICE for example this year probably couldn't even beat the elite JrA teams in BC on a regular basis, yet Krebs went shift-to-shift with the best players on every elite WHL team in the league and never looked out of place doing so.  To me this is WAY more impressive than racking up points on a loaded up US national team.  The real question is what would a guy like Hughes be able to do on a team like the ICE - that's something I'd of liked to have seen. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

This is exactly why I always take the USNTDP numbers with a grain of salt (the scoring stats people, not the talent of their prospects).  They are ALL inflated numbers because every single player on the USNTDP is a hand-picked all-star of their age level.  What other league in NA is hand picking all-star level players and forming entire teams from these kids to play in a regular league somewhere?  We're not talking guys that make the team just because a WHL team has to fill a roster up.  The ICE for example this year probably couldn't even beat the elite JrA teams in BC on a regular basis, yet Krebs went shift-to-shift with the best players on every elite WHL team in the league and never looked out of place doing so.  To me this is WAY more impressive than racking up points on a loaded up US national team.  The real question is what would a guy like Hughes be able to do on a team like the ICE - that's something I'd of liked to have seen. 

I get your point.  But you're fooling yourself if you don't think Hughes wouldn't have put up numbers in the dub - even on the ICE. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Theres moves that could work?

-10th to edm for 8th and Lucic, 2m salary retained?

-10th plus Hutton for 6th (Det)

-40th for 17th (vegas) plus cap dump

-Lucic and 2020 1st for future considerations? :bigblush:

30 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Burke claiming this morning that "teams are willing to offer their first for another to take on a $3-4 mil contract", fwiw.

Probably going to see a few more back diseases this year, sounds like Lightning would have been screwed.

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, rekker said:

We'll see. My guess is Byrom, if he's there. Either way I have complete envy for that team of players and upcoming prospects. 

If we nail this pick and OJ becomes what he can there are some 2000’s battles between the Avs and Canucks coming 

McKinnon - Petey

Rantanen - Boeser

Makar - Hughes 

Landeskog -Bo

so we match up well. But we need OJ, Try back, and to nail this pick. If we do I think we may be the better team! They’re just ahead of us timeline wise. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

If we nail this pick and OJ becomes what he can there are some 2000’s battles between the Avs and Canucks coming 

McKinnon - Petey

Rantanen - Boeser

Makar - Hughes 

Landeskog -Bo

so we match up well. But we need OJ, Try back, and to nail this pick. If we do I think we may be the better team! They’re just ahead of us timeline wise. 

They also have the 4th and 16th pick this year and some over nice young assets like Jost and Zadorov. If they come away with Byram and Knight this draft I would say we are still a ways off.  

21 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Agree with all of that but Hughes / Kakko are so good they’d still be stars whatever their team does. That being said, beyond those level of players 100% agree, is Boldy THAT good or his he a good player who’s benefited from being around so much talent. 

Hockey, next to football is probably the most team oriented sport out there. An average player can look much better on a great team, it can mask weaknesses and also mask a lack of desire and character. As a result, a player can also pick up bad habits as the game is too easy. 

I agree with you on Krebs, the kid is a competitor, I would rather have a kid like that because he’s learned to fight for every inch. When it’s easy for a player in junior etc, it often later becomes hard for that young kid to “learn what it takes”. They pick up bad habits, they rest on talent alone. To last in the NHL you need talent and drive, and often drive takes you further unless you’re just THAT much better. Ie look at Burr vs Alex Daigle. 

As an example, I love Jake but I think this is why his development curve has been slow. His game up until the pros was easy, run over guys, out skate them, then bang! A goal! He didn’t  learn how to work, he is now, but it took some time. Many of the high scoring USNDP players worry me for this reason too. 

Look at Wahlstrom right now, perfect example. 

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssss

Happens to have one of the lowest floors of any player in the draft and highest ceiling.  Scouts say “ He’s got a better shot then Hughes, high-level potential, don’t think he’s a boom or bust guy there’s a big swath between his top potential and his bottom potential, the guy could be an A plus or at worst a B minus.”  In other words a first line center or a serviceable third line center.  As can’t miss in the draft if the goal is to just add a roster player as anyone in the draft.   THN has him a bit higher than ISS 7-9 ... can’t go wrong with this guy.  Tyler Seguin is his best case...nothing wrong with that, he’s Horvats long term replacement and you can always move him to the wing...

5 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Agree with all of that but Hughes / Kakko are so good they’d still be stars whatever their team does. That being said, beyond those level of players 100% agree, is Boldy THAT good or his he a good player who’s benefited from being around so much talent. 

Hockey, next to football is probably the most team oriented sport out there. An average player can look much better on a great team, it can mask weaknesses and also mask a lack of desire and character. As a result, a player can also pick up bad habits as the game is too easy. 

I agree with you on Krebs, the kid is a competitor, I would rather have a kid like that because he’s learned to fight for every inch. When it’s easy for a player in junior etc, it often later becomes hard for that young kid to “learn what it takes”. They pick up bad habits, they rest on talent alone. To last in the NHL you need talent and drive, and often drive takes you further unless you’re just THAT much better. Ie look at Burr vs Alex Daigle. 

As an example, I love Jake but I think this is why his development curve has been slow. His game up until the pros was easy, run over guys, our skate them goal. Didn’t learn how to work, he is now, but it took some time. Many of the high scoring USNDP players worry me for this reason too. 

Look at Wahlstrom right now, perfect example. 

Are you sure about that?   He was ranked as high as 7 last year and draft plus one isn’t too bad.   He’s considered the 31st best prospect not in the league by Future Watch...not too shabby although Bouchard is 13 and picked just before him (that’s a plug had to do it).. that said we all love Demko and he’s at 35 so is he really all that bad?

Too early yet to write Whalstrom off, heck OJ is way down at 66 and we still have high hopes he’s a top four defenseman.   I agree with what your saying in theory but he’s not the right example ... for now anyways ..: NYI have high hopes on him and Dobson, both guys had decent-good draft plus ones.

36 minutes ago, mll said:

Dubas says that there is a good chance that Marleau will remain a Leaf.  Cost to move him must be just too high.  

I hadn't heard that.  That's really interesting news. And Marleau only has one year left!  Wow.  Thanks!  

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

NO thanks.  If it’s not lottery protected I’m scared...very scared...

If its top 3 protected its hard to argue that the value is whats required for a right handed pmd. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I hadn't heard that.  That's really interesting news. And Marleau only has one year left!  Wow.  Thanks!  

In other words :  Marner to Dubas.  “would you like some more lube before we sign this contract?”

• Haha 1