The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

DET was bold taking Seider at #6, and the Canucks got lucky with Podkolzin dropping. The 2 year development in Russia is fine, as the other prospects will all need time as well to develop. Podkolzin will come here in 2 years as a man ready to tear it up like Malkin. Having Tryamkin back would be cool too. I also like the Hoglander pick, but then everything after that... No D and I haven't really heard of any of those guys (Rds 4-7). My first impression was, the Canucks are Focht. ;)  I guess I just need to educate myself on those other guys and hope for the best. Excited to add Pod and Hog to the prospect pool.  

• Upvote 1

At first I was really confused/confounded by the complete lack of defensive drafting, but....   Nope still confused.

However, I'm wondering if the reason for the lack of movement on the Barrie front is because the salary cap didn't rise ad high as originally thought?  Couple that with the supposed "financial issues" or whatever B.M. called it, seems plausible.  But the whole draft with no defensive picks?  I now have doubts about GMJB.

9 minutes ago, Kerrsil said:

At first I was really confused/confounded by the complete lack of defensive drafting, but....   Nope still confused.

However, I'm wondering if the reason for the lack of movement on the Barrie front is because the salary cap didn't rise ad high as originally thought?  Couple that with the supposed "financial issues" or whatever B.M. called it, seems plausible.  But the whole draft with no defensive picks?  I now have doubts about GMJB.

BPA at 10th. 

25 minutes ago, Kerrsil said:

According to JB, "prices were too high".

• Wat 1

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

According to JB, "prices were too high".

Just heard on 650 (so take it for what’s it worth) the price for Barrie was our 2020 first, and Jake.  I’m glad JB didn’t go for that. 

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Just googled Karel Plasek, hockey player from the Czech Republic. Talk about drafting an overager. Maybe some of us guys waiting to be drafted still have a chance...

1405507825_ScreenShot2019-06-22at2_42_03PM.png.a1a18fbd0d1ddee519fb25dd0a4739b3.png

Oh wait. We drafted his kid.

He looks like this guy from the Punisher.

Related image

Lol

2 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Is this the first Canucks' draft ever that didn't have a D?

I came here to ask the same thing.

More so, because D, including our prospect D, is not burgeoning with depth. We don't have a wave impending behind Juolevi & Hughes. And our NHL D is our weakest position. We're going to HAVE to plug some prospect D into the system.  This is downright scary!

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Hope so if we don't land barrie.

If young assets are the asking price for Barrie.  No thanks.  Especially after trading for Miller.

I like Miller.  But I dont like that kind of trade.

If Colorado takes Sutter, they need C help, and parts, fine...  Barrie is UFA in a year.  Not a good target for us.

2 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

If we can get Panarin I like the Miller trade a lot more.

Panarin-Pettersson-Boeser

Miller-Horvat-Pearson

Baertschi/Goldobin-Gaudette-Virtanen

Looks pretty decent

Prefer a D now.

But Panarin was my #1 drool pick up prior. Hey if we can add Panarin and a D still...

19 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

So.... lots and lots of Americans haven’t worked out for the Canucks either. Let’s not draft any American players either.

Patrick White, Jordan Schroeder,, RJ Umberger, To name just a few.

Your analysis of the drafted player is based solely on his ethnicity?

Really? 

Under Benning Americans have been great meanwhile nothing to show for Russians between two decades over multiple management teams.

It's laughable to think the Canucks will make a Russian friendly environment when currently they have only 1 Russian player on the roster, and a single Russian scout in Sergei Chibisov acting as a translator to vouch for Vasily and his character.

They have much work to do in the next 2 years to provide an environment that will be conducive to the development of a young Russian.

On 6/21/2019 at 6:21 PM, Sean Monahan said:

Cram it up your cram hole. 

Somebody is big mad.

I can't predict the future and can only go off the past and probabilities.

And my gut feel still is, this was not the right fit in terms in terms player for this organization.

For the Canucks sake I hope he is the 1st of Russian player who actually works out in Van.

But I won't be clenching my cheeks or holding my breath for that to happen.

2 years away from having to even think about him.

On 6/21/2019 at 7:06 PM, 18W-40C-6W said:

That's actually a bigoted comment. You are generalizing about a nationality based on what? People are individuals guy. What does Goldobin or Shirokov or Try have to do with Podkolzin's talent and drive? nothing

Mike Gillis had a no Russian policy. At some point you gotta realize Russians specifically more than other Euros need countrymen and a good support system to succeed in a foreign country.

Good Russian food is hard to find and not speaking the language at all is a big barrier to adjusting.

They don't teach English growing up in Russian schools the country is different from other Euros who can at the very least understand English and speak it enough to not be uncomfortable.

Edited by Chip Kelly