The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Chip Kelly said:

I would look to Val Nichuskin as a cautionary tale.

Big Russian power wing.

Nuke was (is) an east west, slow, and soft player.  Podkolzin is a dog on a bone, had to play against, high motor guy.  The only thing they have in common is they’re Russian.  

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Mike Gillis had a no Russian policy. At some point you gotta realize Russians specifically more than other Euros need countrymen and a good support system to succeed in a foreign country.

Good Russian food is hard to find and not speaking the language at all is a big barrier to adjusting.

They don't teach English growing up in Russian schools the country is different from other Euros who can at the very least understand English and speak it enough to not be uncomfortable.

Who were Bure’s Best friends on our team?  Podkolzin is a hockey player.  He will make friends with the guys around his age on the team.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, captainhorvat said:

Gino Odjick the russian

Podkolzin is the type of player his teammates love.  He gives 110 % every moment to win.  He’s battles, blocks shots, and stands up for his teammates.  He’s a natural born leader.  I can see him, Petey, and Hughes competing with each other to be the best.  They will push each other, which will make them all even better.  

Im actually kind of shocked Podkolzin fell to us.  Three drafts in a row we are getting a great player, who is hyper compete.  And we drafted 5,7, and 10.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Chip Kelly said:

VaSilY PoDKolZiN

So he will succeed because he is not a typical Russian. Got it.

Don’t worry about this pick Chip.  Podkolzin is a throw back to the Russian players from the 60’s and 70’s.  He’s one tough kid.  

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

Under Benning Americans have been great meanwhile nothing to show for Russians between two decades over multiple management teams.

It's laughable to think the Canucks will make a Russian friendly environment when currently they have only 1 Russian player on the roster, and a single Russian scout in Sergei Chibisov acting as a translator to vouch for Vasily and his character.

They have much work to do in the next 2 years to provide an environment that will be conducive to the development of a young Russian.

Gotta start somewhere. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Podkolzin is the type of player his teammates love.  He gives 110 % every moment to win.  He’s battles, blocks shots, and stands up for his teammates.  He’s a natural born leader.  I can see him, Petey, and Hughes competing with each other to be the best.  They will push each other, which will make them all even better.  

Im actually kind of shocked Podkolzin fell to us.  Three drafts in a row we are getting a great player, who is hyper compete.  And we drafted 5,7, and 10.  

I also heard that he was a leader in the dressing room and will protect his teammates. He will fit in just fine with our young core. He had also mentioned that hes a big fan of ep40.

Im absolutely pumped that we got him at 10!  If he was a north american player he would be a top 3 pick. I believe he was rated top 3 for most of the year.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I would look to Val Nichuskin as a cautionary tale.

Big Russian power wing.

They're not similar players other than being big wingers.  Boy he has been a bust though eh? 

Edited by Gnarcore

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

Mike Gillis had a no Russian policy. At some point you gotta realize Russians specifically more than other Euros need countrymen and a good support system to succeed in a foreign country.

Good Russian food is hard to find and not speaking the language at all is a big barrier to adjusting.

They don't teach English growing up in Russian schools the country is different from other Euros who can at the very least understand English and speak it enough to not be uncomfortable.

Those are good points and after having Tryamkin leave maybe the organization works on the "Welcome Wagon" part of Pods. development. 

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Bastards.

They better whack Taylor Hall a couple more times with a piñata stick before he turns UFA and get any last remaining horseshoes lodged in there.

19 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Why? I love it did not expect him there at  all?  Russian factor is stupid everyone wants to come to North America &^@# North American bitches, do some cocaine, &^@# moren, snipe beside ep. &^@# Russia 

Nothing to do with the Russian factor, but more so, Russian tend to be an unknown element. It’s not a question, if they’re skilled enough,  but rather can they translate those skills into being a NHL player?

Let me ask you, who was the last highly touted Russian in his draft year, who actually made an impact on his team? Tarasenko and Kuznestov, nearly 10 years ago and even then they both weren’t the top Russian in their draft class. Burmistrov was.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, shiznak said:

Nothing to do with the Russian factor, but more so, Russian tend to be an unknown element. It’s not a question, if they’re skilled enough,  but rather can they translate those skills into being a NHL player?

Let me ask you, who was the last highly touted Russian in his draft year, who actually made an impact on his team? Tarasenko and Kuznestov, nearly 10 years ago and even then they both weren’t the top Russian in their draft class. Burmistrov was.

Edited by Silky mitts

I haven't had time to read up on anyone past the first round really so I assume they picked some people they believe in and that's fine with me, I'm not worried about the Russian factor with Pod he sounds like a great pick.

I don't hate the trade but I agree the first rounder is hard to stomach, feels like overpayment when Tampa is the one in the cap crunch, but how do we know there wasn't multiple teams in on Miller?  He has a great contract and fits our needs.

Build through the draft... I get it.

At some point though you have to start rounding out your core with trades and free agency though, you rarely see teams draft their entire squad. 

Our core in my eyes are Horvat, Petey, Boeser at forward, Hughes on defence and Demko in net are our top tier. With support from Virtanen, gaudette and hopefully Juolevi.  

How big of a core do you expect to build through the draft? Not every pick turns out... not even first rounders.

Now we are adding to that with Miller and hopefully some more Defence.

I think we will be a playoff team in 2021 and Tampa can have that pick (I still want it)  but oh well, for all we know we could recover a first in a trade.

None of us know the real cost of players, just because Marleau and Subban were dumped doesnt mean anything to me, their contracts suck.

You have to pay to have those taken away.

Canucks arent done I am sure.

We are complimenting our core  now and going for the playoffs. 

• Like 1