The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That’s kind of how I feel too with Podz, it will suck to possibly have to wait a year longer then whomever else he could pick, but in reality it most likely will take two years anyways and the timing with Tree’s contract is good.  It would definitely become a bit of an enticer, both guys would have each other to talk and relate too.  WSH always did a good job making sure OVi had someone around from Russia for him, these kind of things matter ... heck we do it too but with Swedes.  

If that’s who we take then I’d consider it a smart play semi-long term.  I wonder if JB would pass on him looking for a guy who can start sooner though...

If Podz is worth it, I'm sure JB would see the potential and make the pick. He's fine with our recent college guys taking an extra year in the NCAA, so a couple years to develop in Russia is all good I'd assume. Juolevi developed in Finland, same with Palmu right now. Of course Petey in Sweden. Tree is currently in Russia. But he'd probably pass if there's a player available who could make the same impact but sooner. Tonight should be fun to watch.

Edited by Pizza
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

There’s definitely players to be had at 10 but I’m actually hoping Benning packages it for D help.

I would have only been open to that for a player like Trouba. That’s the type you give up a top ten pick for in a deep draft. Provorov sure, some of the names being mentioned, no thanks. 

5 minutes ago, Pizza said:

If Podz is worth it, I'm sure JB would see the potential and make the pick. He's fine with our recent college guys taking an extra year in the NCAA, so a couple years to develop in Russia is all good I'd assume. Juolevi developed in Finland, same with Palmu right now. Of course Petey in Sweden. Tree is currently in Russia. But he'd probably pass if there's a player available who could make the same impact but sooner. Tonight should be fun to watch.

Most of the guys at ten aren’t coming straight to the NHL anyways.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Pizza said:

If Podz is worth it, I'm sure JB would see the potential and make the pick. He's fine with our recent college guys taking an extra year in the NCAA, so a couple years to develop in Russia is all good I'd assume. Juolevi developed in Finland, same with Palmu right now. Of course Petey Sweden. Tree is currently in Russia. But he'd probably pass if there's a player available who could make the same impact but sooner. Tonight should be fun to watch.

Good points.  For all the complaining I’ve read about Utica not developing guys there has to be guys to develop in the first place and like you’ve pointed out it’s definitely not the only developmental system available to us.  Sure it’s our main farm, but recently our top prospects have gone elsewhere and for the most part (except OJ who was given every opportunity in Utica) and then directly into the NHL...nothing wrong with spreading it around it it’s the right player.   The more I think about the more I’m hopeful, getting a top five player at ten would be a coupe.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Most of the guys at ten aren’t coming straight to the NHL anyways.

Absolutely.   Maybe three or four guys total will go to the show next year, and nobody from where we are picking...that said there will be a half dozen or guys that make it the following year like EP and Hughes, and if we don’t manage it the continual flow of top quality players will stop after this season unless OJ doesn’t make his appearance this year...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

with the 10th selection of the 2019 draft, 

Vancouver Canucks select...

***Jim Bennings cell phone rings***

JB: "uhh hold on.. Gary Bettman can you please come here.."

***Bettman sees JB's Cell ***

Gary Bettman: " We have a trade to announce !" 

Gary Bettman: " Vancouver Canucks trade 10th Overall and Ben Hutton for Rasmus Ristolainen..."

**CANUCKS FANS ERUPT ***

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Can't believe the cap hasn't been announced yet, GMs must be going a little nuts with not knowing what they are working with.

The announcement is expected for Saturday per LeBrun.  

14 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Can't believe the cap hasn't been announced yet, GMs must be going a little nuts with not knowing what they are working with.

Seems a bit amateur.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Makes it hard to plan your team when you don't know what number you're working with, and this should be one of the biggest trade days of the year.

they pretty much know within a mil or so, that shouldn't stop any major pieces from moving today. Might create some interesting action tomorrow tho.