The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well this would make a buzz

Jake being traded might just be exactly what it would take to get him to the next level in his development. A trade might jolt him into a little more of an aggressive player with a chip on his shoulder. Sucks because I've always wanted him to find that player here but I'm not sure if he can be that guy with all the comforts of home around him. 

21 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Colorado is a great example of how to build a team. You draft, draft ,draft until you have too much depth in one area and then you take these young extra talents and move them out for high picks to just keep the ball rolling. 

If this is the approach that Benning takes then we will never have the depth to ever win a cup. 

I would give Jake another year or two to see if he can hit his potential. By trading your first you are losing the potential of landing a franchise player.  

Acquaman says the dark days are behind us. I am excited about the team because it is being built the right way. As a fan I am not in a rush.

Absolutely.  Unfortunately Benning is not a fan he’s running the team and probably has his best interests in mind too.  As in five years and one hiccup playoff round ... and he’s feeling the rope around his neck.  Hopefully it’s just a rumour ... and he doesn’t trade a first for a chance at a quick playoff exit.  Pick a side (re-tool or re-build) and stick with the plan!  An  informed fan understands there will be some pain before we see the light at the end of the tunnel.  We’d better be ready for it or mediocrity will be where we end up.  We need next draft to get there.   Keep our  picks and keep on trucking.  If we do this we will get there for sure, the timing isn’t right to go for it yet.  Unless Benning is some sort of wizard of course.  Ugh...the draft couldn’t come any quicker..

1 hour ago, mll said:

Dubas says it's not a given that he will match an offer-sheet.  It's probably also a warning to Marner.  

I get the sense that Dubas would almost welcome an offer sheet or two. GM's are rarely so candid about them these days. 

He's in such a cap crunch that a bounty of first round picks to relieve some of the pressure might be a better alternative than trying to trade away players for a good return when every other GM knows you're stuck. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AllWeatherFan said:

Jake being traded might just be exactly what it would take to get him to the next level in his development. A trade might jolt him into a little more of an aggressive player with a chip on his shoulder. Sucks because I've always wanted him to find that player here but I'm not sure if he can be that guy with all the comforts of home around him. 

Great sig, which Year of Disappointment was that one from?

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely.  Unfortunately Benning is not a fan he’s running the team and probably has his best interests in mind too.  As in five years and one hiccup playoff round ... and he’s feeling the rope around his neck.  Hopefully it’s just a rumour ... and he doesn’t trade a first for a chance at a quick playoff exit.  Pick a side (re-tool or re-build) and stick with the plan!  An  informed fan understands there will be some pain before we see the light at the end of the tunnel.  We’d better be ready for it or mediocrity will be where we end up.  We need next draft to get there.   Keep our  picks and keep on trucking.  If we do this we will get there for sure, the timing isn’t right to go for it yet.  Unless Benning is some sort of wizard of course.  Ugh...the draft couldn’t come any quicker..

This would be a desperate attempt to just be in the playoff hunt. The odds of us being in the bottom ten again next year are very high.  If Barrie would consider signing here then just wait until next year and sign him for nothing.  I think they should stop Jim from making trades at all. :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I dunno Alfie, check the scoring: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=99406

I'm still very hesitant.

If you look at his overall numbers - they really shot up significantly when MacK, Kog, and Rant formed that 'super-line' and ran rough-shot over the league. 

Arguments could be made that the line benefited from a guy like Tyson feeding them great outlet passes and anchoring the PP with them.

But the argument could easily be made that Tyson benefited equally, if not more, from being on the ice with one of the most dominant offensive lines in recent years. We all know who drives the bus in Col - everyone else, no matter how talented, was along for the ride in the playoffs if you ask me.  

Have we seen the career-best that we'll ever see from this player or is he now entering his prime?

And, most important of all perhaps, his pending UFA status after this season is a real question mark.  If he had a repeat season of last year, no doubt he seeks EK/Doughty type contract which is somewhat frightening if you ask me.  I'm not going near a trade including any 1st (in any year) unless this guy is locked up with term. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Way over payment for Barrie.  If that was offered, Sakic checks to make sure that's actually JB and not a prank call. 

How is it over-payment? With Barrie, we could be a playoff team in 2020. 
I've banged the table for Virtanen, but this is one scenario where I would be okay with trading him. 
Barrie is a RHD who has averaged over 50 pts the past 5 seasons. Last season he had 59 pts in 78 games last season, and 57 in only 68 games the season before. 
Mackinnon's line really benefited from his excellence as a PMD, and Pettersson's line would benefit in a similar way. But the biggest benefactor might be Edler, who does his best when someone can carry the load as the PMD.

Barrie actually gets shots on net, and has scored at least 10 goals in 5 seasons, solving one of our biggest problems. 

10 minutes ago, appleboy said:

This would be a desperate attempt to just be in the playoff hunt. The odds of us being in the bottom ten again next year are very high.  If Barrie would consider signing here then just wait until next year and sign him for nothing.  I think they should stop Jim from making trades at all. :rolleyes:

Benning trades JV and next year's first and I'll join the #firebenning camp, let alone also throwing in Tanev.  Canucks need one more year for their current roster players and prospects to be viewed as higher value assets by other teams.  They should continue to develop existing players and try a couple more project type players like a Burokovsky. We need more and better assets before making trades like this.  

Team 1040 Donny Taylor are talking about trading Bo Horvat and taking calls on it? 

Really?

Do these guys not know Horvat not getting traded and it's draft day in vancouver so don't they have anything else to talk about ?

Terrible radio. I switched to SN

All the hockey world in our city and our local radio is pushing Horvat trade. A kid who's the heart and soul plus future captain of this team signed well under market value.

Can't make this crap up.

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

100 percent. Jake is Jake, and if that becomes a straight ahead 20goal 20 assist guy that can hit that's great. Tryamkin coming back would be incredible for the franchise. The million dollar question is OJ. If he pans out to  become a top 4 we are right there. The biggest if to me is OJ. He really is going to make a big difference for the better or worse. 

Agreed, OJs development to his ceiling will literally change this franchise for better or worse materially. We need him to develop. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Are you sure about that?   He was ranked as high as 7 last year and draft plus one isn’t too bad.   He’s considered the 31st best prospect not in the league by Future Watch...not too shabby although Bouchard is 13 and picked just before him (that’s a plug had to do it).. that said we all love Demko and he’s at 35 so is he really all that bad?

Too early yet to write Whalstrom off, heck OJ is way down at 66 and we still have high hopes he’s a top four defenseman.   I agree with what your saying in theory but he’s not the right example ... for now anyways ..: NYI have high hopes on him and Dobson, both guys had decent-good draft plus ones.

Not saying write Wahlstrom off, just saying people were hyping him like Ovie 2.0

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Team 1040 Donny Taylor are talking about trading Bo Horvat and taking calls on it? 

Really?

Do these guys not know Horvat not getting traded and it's draft day in vancouver so don't they have anything else to talk about ?

All the hockey world in our city and our local radio is pushing Horvat trade. A kid who's the heart and soul plus future captain of this team signed well under market value.

Can't make this crap up.

Hahaha wow. Jim said numerous times that Horvat isn’t going anywhere. Do these idiots even follow the Canucks at all??

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Colorado is a great example of how to build a team. You draft, draft ,draft until you have too much depth in one area and then you take these young extra talents and move them out for high picks to just keep the ball rolling. 

If this is the approach that Benning takes then we will never have the depth to ever win a cup. 

I would give Jake another year or two to see if he can hit his potential. By trading your first you are losing the potential of landing a franchise player.  

Acquaman says the dark days are behind us. I am excited about the team because it is being built the right way. As a fan I am not in a rush.

Based on what I watched in the playoffs, I think Colorado is already a top five team in the league and a cup contender for next year.  They have two first round picks this year and Canucks want to give them what will likely be another lottery pick next year plus JV who has a solid chance to emerge as a great player this coming season. Colorado built it right while Canucks are willing to help them become a powerhouse team for the next decade.  Why?   You can't undue past mistakes with trades.  Wait one more year to see JV emerge into a valuable asset.  Hello Canucks Management, give the fans one more rebuild year please before you try again to retool on the fly and fail.

27 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Really?

Do these guys not know Horvat not getting traded and it's draft day in vamcouver so don't they have anything else to talk about ?

All the hockey world in our city and our local radio is pushing Horvat trade.

Can't makes up.

That’s ridiculous, set a career high in points, leadership qualities, premier position, excellent contract too.

finding centers is hard this would create a bigger problem than it solves. 

I stick with SNet650 and just scan TSN 1040 online for good interviews they’ve had.

tsn1040 also spends way too much time talking about things that have nothing to do with sports.  I get it’s hard to talk sports 24/7 during off season etc.  but if your tuning in for 20-30 mins and you hear them talking movies or something not exactly what your looking for. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2