The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

10 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Barrie is a BC native, born and raised in Victoria. If we traded for him there's a good chance he resigns. If we don't, we would have to enter a bidding war, and the price would be very high for a right-hand puck moving defenseman. Don't get me wrong, I'm tentative about trading Virtanen, but it might be worth it in the end.

I'm okay with trading Jake for Barrie.  it's the 2020 first that has me concerned.  Our team is not deep enough to handle a key injury (like Bo) and not finish bottom five.  So, would need to add whomever that draft pick might be to the cost of Jake.  Wouldn't it be totally sad if we did trade next year's first, and that's the year we won the lottery?  :(

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

One or two players will not make this club a playoff contender. If they made the playoffs it would be based on outstanding goaltending.  They should use their cap space to plug a couple of holes for this season. Trading the future to plug a couple holes for the short term is just ridiculous. That is a move that a team does who is in the hunt for a cup not a team who will struggle to make the playoffs .

I get that the Canucks have EP40 on an entry level contract so are looking to compete inside this window, but is it the right strategy?  Are the Canucks close enough even with Petey being as good as he is?  If they are, it'll be because of the roster players already here and improving or a rookie again steps up and is ready to play.  For next season, Canucks have to see if that can happen and not take on bad contracts or make expensive trades.  The timing isn't right for bold (dumb and expensive) moves.   

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Like last year with Kokey and Hayton, hoping the likes of Caufield and Broberg get taken before us.

Agreed, Hopefully Edmonton or Anaheim take Broberg, then we would just need a Boldy, Caufield or Krebs to be taken to get someone from that top group. 

Edited by brian42

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I'm okay with trading Jake for Barrie.  it's the 2020 first that has me concerned.  Our team is not deep enough to handle a key injury (like Bo) and not finish bottom five.  So, would need to add whomever that draft pick might be to the cost of Jake.  Wouldn't it be totally sad if we did trade next year's first, and that's the year we won the lottery?  :(

That is 1000% how it would go down. Take it to the bank.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I know what you mean. We've slid in the lottery 5 straight times, and it's about time we move up. But with this trade Benning could speed up the rebuild and make us a playoff team. I think it's a plus that it's a 2020 1st and not 2019 1st. 

Just now, NaveJoseph said:

I know what you mean. We've slid in the lottery 5 straight times, and it's about time we move up. But with this trade Benning could speed up the rebuild and make us a playoff team. I think it's a plus that it's a 2020 1st and not 2019 1st. 

JB doesn't trade away first round picks.  I don't see him starting now, especially when that 2020 draft is so strong.  There were rumors this morning we were considering Bo in a deal for Barrie.  We are not moving a first round pick for Barrie, just like we are not moving Bo.  Maybe Gaudette for Barrie?  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We felt sorry for or laughed at Ottawa all of last season for having moved their first pick.  I don't want to be that team.  Plus I like Jake and I like first round picks.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB doesn't trade away first round picks.  I don't see him starting now, especially when that 2020 draft is so strong.  There were rumors this morning we were considering Bo in a deal for Barrie.  We are not moving a first round pick for Barrie, just like we are not moving Bo.  Maybe Gaudette for Barrie?  

No way in hell would I trade Bo for Barrie...
But honestly, that makes more sense for Colorado. Trading for Bo allows them to take Byram. 

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Everyone is available depending on the return. 

But for 1 year of Barrie a 1st and Virtanen... I hope not. 

Horvat is at breakout point. He's big physical young. Need to get more players like him not less. 

I hope not too, but because of the first not Virtanen. 

48 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Not surprised at all. 6'4 200+ with #1C upside. So much speculation they are taking Turcotte but perhaps he's just been a smoke screen all along.

At this point I'd be a bit surprising if Chicago doesn't take a center, & Dach's a great pick for any team from 3-5.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

55 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

I get that the Canucks have EP40 on an entry level contract so are looking to compete inside this window, but is it the right strategy?  Are the Canucks close enough even with Petey being as good as he is?  If they are, it'll be because of the roster players already here and improving or a rookie again steps up and is ready to play.  For next season, Canucks have to see if that can happen and not take on bad contracts or make expensive trades.  The timing isn't right for bold (dumb and expensive) moves.   

Again Colorado is another good example for what a rebuilding team goes through. They thought they were getting close a year or two back. Then they regressed. I would expect Petey to struggle a bit this year. The league will not be fooled by the rookie anymore and he will get a ton of attention. This club is not deep enough to isolate him. He will get the number one D and the best defensive forwards. Our D needs a ton of work and we are also in need of a couple top forwards. plus we have no depth so when the injuries hit and they will we will struggle.

I agree that the timing is not right . It will actually set us back if that get us into cap troubles or sell future first round picks for a short term fix.

• Upvote 1

Finally draft day is here

Podk, Krebs, Boldy for me. Would love Dach or Turcotte but likely wont be there for us at 10.

Lets see some trades, some additional draft picks, lets say our goodbyes to some of our Canucks and welcome the future.

Hoping for an additional 1st, an additional 2nd, Krebs, Barrie, Connoly and Johansson this off-season.

As long as the 2020 1st rounder isn't moving, I feel alot better about what we are doing.

It seems like Faulk's name has been out there for years now, I wonder what they are looking for. I'd assume hockey trade if its been this long & he's still in Carolina. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
isn't

Next years draft has 7 players who are good enough right now that they would go in this years first round. So as sixteen year old's they are good enough right now to be drafted in this years first round.  Last year the only player that was rated that high was Jack Hughes.  

Do we really want to give Colorado a lotto pick. Or a top ten pick if they lottery protect it.

Edited by appleboy
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Lafrienere, Raymond, Lundell, Holtz, Askarov, Byfield.  All potential elite or 1st line players.

Perfetti, Zary, Holloway, Drysdale, Schneider, Rolston, Hunt, exc. exc. All good top 6 or top 4. Should be a really good draft year.

Barring a remarkable offer, we just shouldn't consider trading the 2020 pick, period.

• Like 1