The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Pods is playing right now and looking great in a line with Morozov and Marchenko in a WJC tune up game.   The YouTube broadcast is a bit primitive in terms of production values, and the play by play is on Russian. But Pods looks GOOD out there and I think he has a couple of helpers so far. Watching him you can see why we shouldn’t get to caught up in point production too much...he tilts the game his way when he is out there.

Admittedly, the Russians are barely breaking a sweat against the Kazaks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

The Russians prevailed in regulation 5-0. Then they played a 5-minute 3 on 3 OT session. And get this...Pods blocks a shot in the overtime and hobbles off to the bench hurt. I may have mumbled something about “Canuck  Luck” mixed in with a few expletives. 

But happy to report he returned to play on the last shift in OT.

Then they played a shootout - for practice sake - but Pods wasn’t selected as a shooter.

I will say something else. Pods wears #11 very well. Plays a lot like Messier in his prime. I hated Messier’s stint as a Canuck like everyone else...but I wouldn’t be opposed to Pods wearing it in order to wipe the stain of that legacy away a bit. Not sure how the Wayne Maki thing would affect such an idea though...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

"So why did Podkolzin sign with a club that probably doesn’t have his development as its top priority? Per Eronko, every 17-year-old in Russia is obligated to sign a standard three-year deal; it’s not possible to sign a one- or two-year agreement. Podkolzin’s current deal reportedly pays him about 300,000 rubles per year, roughly the equivalent of $4,800 USD."

So why wouldn't he buy out his contract and sign over here next year? His signing bonus would be about 90k and he would make 70k US for playing in the AHL next season. Seems like a no-brainer to me. He'll get way more playing time and 30 times as much money over here. Then there's the off chance that he could actually be NHL ready at some point and get a call up to the NHL...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

The Russians prevailed in regulation 5-0. Then they played a 5-minute 3 on 3 OT session. And get this...Pods blocks a shot in the overtime and hobbles off to the bench hurt. I may have mumbled something about “Canuck  Luck” mixed in with a few expletives. 

But happy to report he returned to play on the last shift in OT.

Then they played a shootout - for practice sake - but Pods wasn’t selected as a shooter.

I will say something else. Pods wears #11 very well. Plays a lot like Messier in his prime. I hated Messier’s stint as a Canuck like everyone else...but I wouldn’t be opposed to Pods wearing it in order to wipe the stain of that legacy away a bit. Not sure how the Wayne Maki thing would affect such an idea though...

If he plays anywhere close to Messier in his prime, he would be undoubtedly the best player in his draft. I don't think we should set the expectation this high though. Realistically, I see him as a power-forward who will suit well with either of Horvat and EP.

7 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

If he plays anywhere close to Messier in his prime, he would be undoubtedly the best player in his draft. I don't think we should set the expectation this high though. Realistically, I see him as a power-forward who will suit well with either of Horvat and EP.

If he plays anything like Messier in his prime he'll be the best player in the previous 3 combined drafts

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Yeah. I’ll walk that comment back a bit. ;) I actually try to err on the side of keeping prospect expectations in check.

Let me say that his “playing style” reminds me very much of Messier...that mix of  skill (some slick passes in this game) and grit (close to the borderline hit obliterated some poor Kazak kid into the boards today).

Before he loafed about in Canucks jersey, didn’t Mess have a pretty good motor? Pods has this in spades. I have noticed though that he really looks gassed in the last third of most of his shifts. I’m sure that will change as he develops some big boy cardio. :)

I’ll be laser focused on him in this tourney like everyone else.

• Cheers 1

From recent interview with the head coach Valery Bragin in the Russian training camp for WJHC:

Q: Podkolzin played 14 games in the KHL, zero points. Does this bother you?

A: This is hard to tell, I talked to him about it. I think all this hype around Vasily makes him a bit uptight. I discussed this a lot with him, told him not to think about it. The most important is to play the right way and goals will come.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

Interview with Podkolzin in the training camp...

"I talked to Bragin before the camp. This training camp is like break for me, not just because I am playing, but more because of all players around practically being of my age. I feel relaxed, all are friends, no separate groups, we are one big team, one big family. I think we will be ready for the world championship.

Obviously, games around New Year Day, all our friends and relatives are celebrating. We play hockey, want to make them happy.

My energy is over the top? I don't know why Bragin said this (in fact Bragin told this about defenceman Romanov - Stierlitz) but every call-up to the national team brings me more energy.

My 14 games in the KHL gave me experience to play against men, with higher speed, physical game. This is important both on and off the ice. I participate in all activities, watch it, this is interesting. Marchenko has recently taken off, because of his hard work. He was given chance, he takes it.

The first game is going to be very hard because the local fans will push the Czech team ahead. That's okay, I think we can handle this.

Larionov (new assistant coach) has tons of conversations with players in the camp. I have had several practices with him, I like his approach, he is constantly talking, explaining, keeping contact with players. During PP Larionov gives us freedom in choosing between improvisation and setup play. He is teaching us where and how to play. He constantly provides us with video clips from the NHL. The smart improvisation is also appreciated.

I know Morozov and Marchenko for long time both on and off the ice. We know how each of us is going to play. You can say that we play as a real unit.

• Like 1