Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Fans need to forget this, he will NOT be bought out of his contract, Canucks are happy with where he is and how he is developing.

 

As soon as his season ends next season, he will sign with the Canucks and likely debut in Canucks uniform before the end of the season.

 

Until then, he will continue in the VHL / KHL, which is better than him developing here in Junior or even the AHL.

I worry a little bit about him being stuck over there and him losing two years of development playing next to no minutes on big ice. 
 

I think he’d be better developed as a prospect playing 20+ minutes a night in the CHL against kids his own age this year playing a North American game than he is playing 5 minutes a night in the KHL/VHL. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

I worry a little bit about him being stuck over there and him losing two years of development playing next to no minutes on big ice. 
 

I think he’d be better developed as a prospect playing 20+ minutes a night in the CHL against kids his own age this year playing a North American game than he is playing 5 minutes a night in the KHL/VHL. 
 

 

He's getting plenty of playing time in the VHL. 

 

It's just in the KHL games he doesn't get as much but I'm pretty sure he's getting close to 10min a game even in the KHL games now. 

Edited by Ihatetomatoes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

So why do you think Larionov is using his youngest player the most out of any other forward throughout the tournament to gain puck possession via a heavy tenacious fore check and forcing turnovers the setting up his linemates constantly and consistently?

 

Was Vasily not being effective?  

 

Does a guy like Larionov know less about hockey than you?  

 

Was the lack of production with all the chances generated on Vasily or others?

 

Why does anyone think that Vasily's fairly unique (in terms of this organization's depth chart) won't translate into becoming a fairly dominant player when on the ice? 

 

He is a hybrid Honey Badger/Burrows with more size and what appears to be the IQ to be a possible centerman if he can learn to take faceoffs.  Even of he doesn't translate to center, is there anyway he won't be a very effective NHL forward?  

 

The only questions that remain are:

 

When is the soonest he can get here?  IE can he be bought out of his KHL deal?

 

Will his offence pick up when he is playing with NHL talent?  From my POV he has all the signs of becoming a decent playmaker, but may need some technical coaching. 

 

The nucks eventually made Hands of Stone Hansen into a respectable goal scorer?

 

  I don't see Podz as being a guy who is know as a goal scoree, but I could see him being a set up machine.  Either way, he is a NHLer with or without offence.  If he can produce to a 2nd line level with his two way game, damn, that is going to be sweet.  Steal.  

 

If he doesn't have the offence, he will be a very effective bottom six and special teams guy.  Not what you hoped for, but still a guy that will be a fan favourite due to his amazing motor and fearless play.  A decent safe pick that will still play a big role in the club.  

 

 

 

 

 

Lol Russian coaching has always been considered oddball and illogical at times. Did you forget the point where Ray Ferraro was questioning why the line was always out in key situations? Do you know more about hockey than Ray Ferraro? Get out of here with your strawman argument. He had a weak tournament, was in effective and wasn't this ultimately great player that Canucks fans are trying to pretend he was. 

 

That's all I'm saying. Kid still has loads of potential and is good defensively, but offensively he isn't anywhere close to putting the game together at a pro level yet. 

 

They compared him to Messier lol. They compared Boeser to Bossy too but nobody is stupid enough to actually believe that nonsense lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Not nearly as big a joke as claiming that Pods is lacking in IQ. Where the hell does that nonsense come from?

The lack of ice awareness, the neutral zone suicide passes to his teammates, the turnovers, the forced passes instead of patient play, the ability to put the puck into open areas... Iq plays he wasn't making. He makes the occasional high iq play but for every one of those he's making 4 errant passes, poorly timed puck movement, etc. 

 

You could see petey's iq miles away if you know the game. If you know the game you should be able to see he's missing some of the pieces. He's not gonna come into the league and light it up. If he had elite iq as you claim he does, he would. Quote me on it. He's got 2 years of developing and in comparison to last year I haven't seen any progression into his game. That doesn't mean he won't get there, he'll just get there slower. Good defensive prospect, mediocre offensive prospect with great raw tools. Great comparable is Kesler and Virtanen. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

The lack of ice awareness, the neutral zone suicide passes to his teammates, the turnovers, the forced passes instead of patient play, the ability to put the puck into open areas... Iq plays he wasn't making. He makes the occasional high iq play but for every one of those he's making 4 errant passes, poorly timed puck movement, etc. 

 

You could see petey's iq miles away if you know the game. If you know the game you should be able to see he's missing some of the pieces. He's not gonna come into the league and light it up. If he had elite iq as you claim he does, he would. Quote me on it. He's got 2 years of developing and in comparison to last year I haven't seen any progression into his game. That doesn't mean he won't get there, he'll just get there slower. Good defensive prospect, mediocre offensive prospect with great raw tools. Great comparable is Kesler and Virtanen. 

What a load of crap. If you knew the game, you would be aware that every player makes errant passes regularly.

 

If you were honest, you would not put up straw men as you did here:"If he had elite iq as you claim he does".

 

And only a simpleton would use a 41 goal Selke winner as an example of a mediocre offensive prospect.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Podz kind of resemble an offensively gifted version of Roussel.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

I worry a little bit about him being stuck over there and him losing two years of development playing next to no minutes on big ice. 
 

I think he’d be better developed as a prospect playing 20+ minutes a night in the CHL against kids his own age this year playing a North American game than he is playing 5 minutes a night in the KHL/VHL. 
 

 

This is a classic case of not knowing what's going on over there and having an opinion based on a few tweets that do not show the full picture.

 

Don't worry, his development is going just fine so far.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the pick but if I am being honest, I am a bit concerned about his offensive production.  Also every time he skates through the neutral zone with his head down skating like the Tasmanian Devil, he is going to get leveled when playing in the NHL on a smaller ice surface.  I think he needs to learn to slow down a little and make the smart play.  I think it will come but we will need to be patient.  I also think he will play a year in Utica as I don't think it would benefit him to be in Vancouver playing on the forth line when he could be in Utica playing high min. developing.                                                                                                                                                                    

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I like the pick but if I am being honest, I am a bit concerned about his offensive production.  Also every time he skates through the neutral zone with his head down skating like the Tasmanian Devil, he is going to get leveled when playing in the NHL on a smaller ice surface.  I think he needs to learn to slow down a little and make the smart play.  I think it will come but we will need to be patient.  I also think he will play a year in Utica as I don't think it would benefit him to be in Vancouver playing on the forth line when he could be in Utica playing high min. developing.                                                                                                                                                                    

Bro. Messier. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

What a load of crap. If you knew the game, you would be aware that every player makes errant passes regularly.

 

If you were honest, you would not put up straw men as you did here:"If he had elite iq as you claim he does".

 

And only a simpleton would use a 41 goal Selke winner as an example of a mediocre offensive prospect.

A lot of errant passes are made, absolutely. But not as many as Podkolzin makes at the level he was playing at. He has moments of absolute brilliance with his passing and then can't make a ten foot pass with nobody around him the next. If you didn't see that you weren't watching. And yeah, Kesler's one season is his ultimate defining grace. Do you not remember when he came up from the AHL and was a grinder? That's exactly what I'm talking about. He may have to play that role until he figures the game out. It's a great comparison you just can't figure out why I used it, or you didn't watch the team when he came up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

A lot of errant passes are made, absolutely. But not as many as Podkolzin makes at the level he was playing at. He has moments of absolute brilliance with his passing and then can't make a ten foot pass with nobody around him the next. If you didn't see that you weren't watching. And yeah, Kesler's one season is his ultimate defining grace. Do you not remember when he came up from the AHL and was a grinder? That's exactly what I'm talking about. He may have to play that role until he figures the game out. It's a great comparison you just can't figure out why I used it, or you didn't watch the team when he came up. 

Well it's a short tourney but he still managed to show you "absolute brilliance" so it cant be all that bad eh?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The 5th Line said:

Well it's a short tourney but he still managed to show you "absolute brilliance" so it cant be all that bad eh?

 

 

Correct. Not all bad. Lots of upside, he just needs to put some of his offensive timing together and figure out when to slow down and pick it up. His defensive iq is at an NHL level already, his defense is way ahead in comparison to others but he just needs to get timing and some skills honed in and he'll be good. It's a small sample size, but I watched a small sample size (a few games) from before he was drafted and largely there were similarities so hopefully something clicks with his timing and he'll be able to gain some consistency between the games he takes over and the games he's invisible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

People can talk about speed/passing/shooting/scoring/IQ/ect all they want, when it comes down to it, from the games I watched, his coaches were constantly using him in important situations.

 

When the game was on the line, he was out there more often than not.  If I'm an NHL coach or GM, in the end, I don't ask my scouts who is the best passer, or who protects the puck better - I ask, who are the coaches sending out there when it matters most? 

 

That alone stands over and above any nit-picky passing/skating/points squabbles going on imo. 

^ this.

 

I think I read that Podz is also the highest ppg U19 player in the VHL, and thats with starting the year bouncing between leagues. 

 

Plus wasn't he the youngest Russian team member too? 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2020 at 2:11 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Fans need to forget this, he will NOT be bought out of his contract, Canucks are happy with where he is and how he is developing.

 

As soon as his season ends next season, he will sign with the Canucks and likely debut in Canucks uniform before the end of the season.

 

Until then, he will continue in the VHL / KHL, which is better than him developing here in Junior or even the AHL.

It isn't likely.  That was known when he was drafted. Until the option expires, it isn't off the table.  

 

I doubt Podz is going to stay in Russia  playing sub par minutes making rubles instead of the NHL.  

 

So one more season and then he can come over.  I can wait.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/7/2020 at 3:20 PM, dpn1 said:

Podz kind of resemble an offensively gifted version of Roussel.  B)

Right on! But many fans on this forum overvalue our prospects. 

 

Vasily is a very raw talent and I am not confident he is getting the seasoning required to direct his development properly. I would have a much higher level of confidence for his future if he is playing in Utica right now. All in all it is a good pick at #10. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.