The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

3 hours ago, Maddogy said:

Right on! But many fans on this forum overvalue our prospects. 

Vasily is a very raw talent and I am not confident he is getting the seasoning required to direct his development properly. I would have a much higher level of confidence for his future if he is playing in Utica right now. All in all it is a good pick at #10. 

Yeah to the first bolded.

For the second bolded:

--> many fans on this forum seem to they think know more about how to develop a prospect than the Canucks even though their day job does not involve sticks, pucks, ice, or anything hockey related.   :huh:   

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Maybe you should explain this to Benning, who has stated that Podz is ready to play in the NHL right now. I am sure you know where Podz is in his development much better than JB does:

Jim Benning has a pretty good idea of where he’ll be playing the year after that.

“We’ll sign him and he’ll step right in and play,” the Canucks’ GM said. “He could play right now.”

Yep in Benning we trust  , did you see Benning rush Petey over  no , He let Petey play in Sweden to develop , I think Benning and Company know when a player is ready to step in , , hoglander next year and podi the year after  

33 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

Benning also said Granlund played like Bergeron...I think he’s trying to sell beans to the fan base. 

Yeah, no doubt. With whiffs like Petey, Quinn, Brock, Gaudette, Tram, Demko, etc, on his record, obviously magic beans are all he has to sell, right?

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, no doubt. With whiffs like Petey, Quinn, Brock, Gaudette, Tram, Demko, etc, on his record, obviously magic beans are all he has to sell, right?

1. Tryamkin wasn’t a great pick. He’s had a cup of coffee in the NHL on one of the worst D groups this organization has ver seen. Sure there’s upside, but the reality is he’s a 25 year old who hasn’t stuck in the NHL and hasn’t contributed much. 

2. How many of those players you listed wasted a year of hockey, playing a limited role for their teams? 

1 hour ago, chickenman92 said:

1. Tryamkin wasn’t a great pick. He’s had a cup of coffee in the NHL on one of the worst D groups this organization has ver seen. Sure there’s upside, but the reality is he’s a 25 year old who hasn’t stuck in the NHL and hasn’t contributed much. 

2. How many of those players you listed wasted a year of hockey, playing a limited role for their teams? 

Tryamkin was an alright pick however Brayden Point was BPA and I was screaming for that pick in the third round.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

If by fine, you mean he’ll be in the lineup around the 23-24 season then okay. 

from what I’ve read and saw at the world juniors he’s on the same type of development road as Virtanen, ie missing out on development with his peers and being pushed into a very limited role with men. 

Guessing his development goes something like this:

19-20: bounce around Russian teams with limited opportunity 

20-21: bottom 6 in KHL with limited offensive opportunities 

21-22: spend a year in Utica learning the North American game

22-23: spend a year in Utica regaining the confidence and skill that has been sucked out of him the previous three seasons 

23-24: makes the Canucks lineup...if he stays over here long enough. 

I’m a firm believer that if you want to develop players right, they need to play in the role you intend them to play in the NHL. If you think Podkolzin is a 2nd line winger, he needs to be somewhere, where he’s playing 16-19 minutes a night with power-play time. If he’s not getting that, then his development is being set back. 

He had a cup of coffee in the MHL, dominated and hasn't gone back. He's playing regular minutes in the VHL (the minutes that you're suggesting he should be playing), basically their AHL (men's league). He had limited opportunities in the KHL (arguably the next best league after the NHL) at the start of the season, but he's getting more looks now. He just turned 18 in June.

He's already into your 20-21 projection. With his experience against men already and his willingness and drive to already play defense (something that took a couple of years to get Virtanen accustomed to), he may bypass the AHL when he gets here. I would say he is ahead of Jake at the same age and Jake is starting to look pretty decent, so it's not really a negative comment to compare them. Something that should've been noted from the world junior is that Pod looks to be more of a playmaker with precision passes (but lack of finish prevented him from getting more points) rather than a shooter like Jake. 

Based on your comments, it's clear you have a preconceived notion towards Russians and seemingly a lack of knowledge of his development progress thus far.

Edited by theo5789
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Tryamkin was an alright pick however Brayden Point was BPA and I was screaming for that pick in the third round.

I’ll drink to that. I had Point as a first rd pick on my board. I would have taken him over Demko, so I would have been all over him in the third rd. 

9 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Dude, are you seriously questioning Larionov's knowledge and intelligence.  Do you think Ray Ferraro has more hockey knowledge than the "Professor"?  

I know your a troll, but are you intoxicated too?  Ray Ferraro over Larionov?  That's hilarious and you are either a fantastic comedian or a complete fool.  

Considering that 'gamesmanship' was the only thing keeping Russia from winning gold.  It wasn't Team Canada's skill, but it's acting that won them the game.  

Considering that Larionov was the person deciding Podz's ice time etc as he was the coach.  That he is considered to be one of the smartest and best players to ever play the game, his pov on his own player has weight.  Entirely relevant and his opinion should carry much more weight than a glorified arm chair quarterback like Ray Ferraro.  

If you throw out terms Mike, at least know what they mean.  

Peace out Mikey D. Not going to feed your ridiculous trolling.  

Lol hey you remember me when Podkolzin busts out because he wasn't as good as Messier. 

11 hours ago, Fanuck said:

People can talk about speed/passing/shooting/scoring/IQ/ect all they want, when it comes down to it, from the games I watched, his coaches were constantly using him in important situations.

When the game was on the line, he was out there more often than not.  If I'm an NHL coach or GM, in the end, I don't ask my scouts who is the best passer, or who protects the puck better - I ask, who are the coaches sending out there when it matters most? 

That alone stands over and above any nit-picky passing/skating/points squabbles going on imo. 

You would have loved Jason Megna and Aaron Rome. 

9 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Dude, are you seriously questioning Larionov's knowledge and intelligence.  Do you think Ray Ferraro has more hockey knowledge than the "Professor"?  

I know your a troll, but are you intoxicated too?  Ray Ferraro over Larionov?  That's hilarious and you are either a fantastic comedian or a complete fool.  

Considering that 'gamesmanship' was the only thing keeping Russia from winning gold.  It wasn't Team Canada's skill, but it's acting that won them the game.  

Considering that Larionov was the person deciding Podz's ice time etc as he was the coach.  That he is considered to be one of the smartest and best players to ever play the game, his pov on his own player has weight.  Entirely relevant and his opinion should carry much more weight than a glorified arm chair quarterback like Ray Ferraro.  

If you throw out terms Mike, at least know what they mean.  

Peace out Mikey D. Not going to feed your ridiculous trolling.  

Also, you'd have wet dreams if Podkolzin ended up being as good as Ray Ferraro so sit down. Ferraro is exactly the type of player Podkolzin should aim to be. Eleven 20+ seasons, multiple 40 goal seasons. You'd blow your load with a career like that for this kid. And if you didn't know the type of player he was, then you won't even understand just how good those numbers were. 

Edited by MikeyD
  • Wat 2

4 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Also, you'd have wet dreams if Podkolzin ended up being as good as Ray Ferraro so sit down. Ferraro is exactly the type of player Podkolzin should aim to be. Eleven 20+ seasons, multiple 40 goal seasons. You'd blow your load with a career like that for this kid. And if you didn't know the type of player he was, then you won't even understand just how good those numbers were. 

Suggesting Ray Ferraro is a arm chair warrior in the process of defending Pods prospects is more than a stretch. IMO it is to early to evaluate Pod's NHL potential. I watched him closely during the WJC and was impressed. Larionov's comparison to Messier was more than excessive. Ferraro has very valid scouting opinions like many others. I always find him worth listening to.  

11 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

Benning also said Granlund played like Bergeron...I think he’s trying to sell beans to the fan base. 

Metaphors and similes, can you spot the differences and figure out whether someone's comments about a player are literal or figurative?  

Did JB say that Granlund was going to be Bergeron, or, has either the potential or the playing style modelled after Bergeron.  

It is subtle, but it is a huge difference.  Of course players emulate a successful players style.  Lots of guys want to be like Gretzky, but they won't be Gretzky.  

As for Larionov's comments.  Wtf cares what you think it means.  First, Larionov is speaking in his second language, so there could be a subtle mistake with the inclusion or absence of words 'like' vs 'be'.  

It is clear Larionov thinks highly of Podz, so do many.  His future GM sees him as a straight to NHL player.  Whether or not anyones predictions matter at all is clear, they don't.  

Podz is going to be Podz.  Praise from his Coach and future GM for his game is a positive.  

Anyone complaining about this is either stirring up controversy or over reacting to the comparison and how it was presented.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Your a laugh a minute... know I wasn't going to keep feeding your trolling, but it is too hilarious.  

Alot of repressed sexual language in you post.  Don't think is the place to talk about "blowing your load'. Think you need to head over to 4 Chan or where ever guys go to talk about that stuff.  I personaly don't think it belongs here.  

Yes, if Podz became a regular 20g scorer in the NHL, I would be happy, so should you, if your actually a Canucks Fan.  

If you were looking to make this a debate about whether Podz will.be more like Ray Ferraro vs Mark Messier, then we would likely agree.  

Again, seek whatever help you need to deal with your other issue somewhere else.  This is a out hockey, not your personal problems.  

9 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

JB's first draft in some ways was his worst.  He selected at least 5 guys who have already made the NHL.  But he missed excellent and exceptional players who were all available when he made other selections.  

He took the safer path and Larkin, Pasternak and Point were all there.  He had only been on the job for 2 weeks and Kesler was already demanding a trade I think.  

What could have been.  Still Trymakin will be an effective d man as a rookie when he was here.  My POV was that JB muffed it when he signed Hutton to his deal then Trymakin.  IMO Trymakin was a way superior player with way more potential. 

Trymakin also seems to agree.  He was already having problems adjusting to NA and then he felt jilted in his contract offer.  Not saying I agree with Trymakin's reaction and him going back to Russia, but I can see his POV.  

I have felt that JB has made 3 big mistakes in his first 4 years.  Not moving Hammer even with a low ball offer.  It would have helped a tank.  

The second was his signing of L.E. even though I was okay with it then.  

The 3rd was losing Trymakin back to Russia.  I can only say that Green would have been fantastic for Trymakins development.  

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

Your a laugh a minute... know I wasn't going to keep feeding your trolling, but it is too hilarious.  

Alot of repressed sexual language in you post.  Don't think is the place to talk about "blowing your load'. Think you need to head over to 4 Chan or where ever guys go to talk about that stuff.  I personaly don't think it belongs here.  

Yes, if Podz became a regular 20g scorer in the NHL, I would be happy, so should you, if your actually a Canucks Fan.  

If you were looking to make this a debate about whether Podz will.be more like Ray Ferraro vs Mark Messier, then we would likely agree.  

Again, seek whatever help you need to deal with your other issue somewhere else.  This is a out hockey, not your personal problems.  

You know that adolescent troll you are responding to is not a Canucks fan. He is here strictly to troll.

13 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Yeah to the first bolded.

For the second bolded:

--> many fans on this forum seem to they think know more about how to develop a prospect than the Canucks even though their day job does not involve sticks, pucks, ice, or anything hockey related.   :huh:   

I know when a cheeseburger tastes uncooked and my day job does not involve spatulas, frying pans and food. I know when a movie sucks and my day job does not involve cameras, actors or lighting. 

With this line of thinking we may as well shut down the forums seeing as it kills pretty much every chance of discussion. Lol.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1