The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Podkolzin played in the KHL today. 

11:25 TOI. 2 SOG. 2 hits. 

From what I saw, he plays very disciplined and is gaining trust with his coach. Plus, the only shift I was able to see, he caused a turnover in the offensive zone, which led to a scoring chance. 

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Not when it comes to people who are well-paid to be knowledgeable about it because it's their job and career and has been their entire lifetime.

Unless they're in the media of course. Then all logic goes out the window.

• Cheers 1

Since people decided to go on a long tangent I'll ask again

Is it possible for the Canucks to have Podkolzin come over to NA to train in the off season where they can control the aspects of his game they feel need addressing.  Like April through Sept ish??

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Is it possible for the Canucks to have Podkolzin come over to NA to train in the off season where they can control the aspects of his game they feel need addressing.  Like April through Sept ish??

That's kinda how it all started. No It doesn't sound like he'll be able to join us this year. The quote is a few pages back.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

image.png.e579d21057c3a6f9b1138f3321f7a643.png

https://www.khl.ru/documents/KHL_legal_regulations_2019_eng.pdf

This document is as close as I can find.  Article 5. Obligations of the Hockey Player

See Article 5 - sub-section 1.35 - It is somewhat vague and I think it's really up to the team.  

1.35. Fulfill all the requirements of the Club Manager, Head Coach (coaching staff) and General Manager in terms of professional training, training activities and game practice.

Hopefully I didn't hack into a Russian website and the KGB are on their way..............

2 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Not when it comes to people who are well-paid to be knowledgeable about it because it's their job and career and has been their entire lifetime.

Fantastic. I'll be watching and making sure you agree with every trade draft signing and all other hockey moves made by every professional.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

When my opinion conflicts dramatically with that of someone who any reasonable person would expect to be much more knowledgeable on the topic than I am, most times I will re-examine and reconsider my opinion. But then that's just me.

So you agree with everything everyone in the world of professional hockey has done ever? I assume they're all more knowledgable on the topic than you seeing that they are professionals.

Please tell me how you still support the Eriksson signing. I'm dying to hear lol.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I think he would be able to come for prospects camp. I believe we have seen players under contract in other leagues participate (assuming their respective teams allow them to). I think when their camps start though, they are obligated to return back. So I don't see why he wouldn't be allowed to train here, but it might not be a "Canuck" specified training, instead just him coming over here and choosing to train.

Burrows and others play summer Ball hockey and Boeser plays in the summer league. But they don't get paid to play those I imagine which would be another contractual thing. I think as long as they return back to camp healthy, they can do whatever they want. They have to tell the team of any injuries outside and that might affect things should they get hurt doing something beyond what's obligated to the contracted team.

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

So you agree with everything everyone in the world of professional hockey has done ever? I assume they're all more knowledgable on the topic than you seeing that they are professionals.

Please tell me how you still support the Eriksson signing. I'm dying to hear lol.

Nice straw men. But ok, I'll bite. At the time of the signing, he had just scored 30 goals, showed no signs of slowing down, was a UFA that other teams were bidding on, and had demonstrated good chemistry with the Sedins.

Hence the contract. JB didn't have the benefit of hindsight, knowing that his production was going to fall off a cliff immediately.

And no, I don't always agree with every action taken by every hockey professional.  Many of them have demonstrated that they are idiots. 

However, when someone (JB) who has demonstrated a superior ability to evaluate the skills and career trajectories of young, still developing players, states his opinion about one that he has drafted, if I were going to dispute his opinion I would want some fairly compelling evidence on my side.

But again, that is just me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

No, not officially they cant . Not if he is still under contract in the KHL.

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Nice straw men. But ok, I'll bite. At the time of the signing, he had just scored 30 goals, showed no signs of slowing down, was a UFA that other teams were bidding on, and had demonstrated good chemistry with the Sedins.

Hence the contract. JB didn't have the benefit of hindsight, knowing that his production was going to fall off a cliff immediately.

And no, I don't always agree with every action taken by every hockey professional.  Many of them have demonstrated that they are idiots. 

However, when someone (JB) who has demonstrated a superior ability to evaluate the skills and career trajectories of young, still developing players, states his opinion about one that he has drafted, if I were going to dispute his opinion I would want some fairly compelling evidence on my side.

But again, that is just me.

He's been wrong before, he'll be wrong again believe it or not. 

I'm done discussing this. I have a right to my own opinion as you guys yours. Well have to agree to disagree for the time being. 

Gcg.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

He's been wrong before, he'll be wrong again believe it or not. 

I'm done discussing this. I have a right to my own opinion as you guys yours. Well have to agree to disagree for the time being. 

Gcg.

Signing LE was s humongous mistake.  That was trying to squeeze more out of the old core.  If it was for only three years okay, but the six over six years hurts our cap room now.  Good on LE getting a big contract.  Bad on JB for giving it to him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Fantastic. I'll be watching and making sure you agree with every trade draft signing and all other hockey moves made by every professional.

Evidently you missed the point -- it is YOU regarding yourself as more knowledgeable than Benning and refuting his analysis by nothing more than looking at stat sheets, not me.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Signing LE was s humongous mistake.  That was trying to squeeze more out of the old core.  If it was for only three years okay, but the six over six years hurts our cap room now.  Good on LE getting a big contract.  Bad on JB for giving it to him. 

...hindsight.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Alf, easy for you to say along with everyone else. None of us, including JB, knew how it would go.

You yourself liked the signing:

Alflives

I think Erriksson said he just wants to help our team win, and will play the role needed. I like him with Bo and Baer, because he adds maturity and skill. Hansen reall has NO skill.

August 16, 2016

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

He was 30 years old, the age at which most players lose their hands.  A look at the precipitous drop off of production from the Sedins as they hit 31 is instructive.  Forwards that maintain high offensive production past 30 are rare.  Yes, you can dig up examples, but that does not argue against it being unusual.  And the Sedins, to all accounts, were fitness addicted - not something of which Eriksson has been accused. He was given a six year contract. Don’t get me wrong, he is still a smart player, even a useful player, he is just not a six million dollar player.

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

He was 30 years old, the age at which most players lose their hands.  A look at the precipitous drop off of production from the Sedins as they hit 31 is instructive.  Forwards that maintain high offensive production past 30 are rare.  Yes, you can dig up examples, but that does not argue against it being unusual.  And the Sedins, to all accounts, were fitness addicted - not something of which Eriksson has been accused. He was given a six year contract. Don’t get me wrong, he is still a smart player, even a useful player, he is just not a six million dollar player.

Caps better hope Backstrom is one of them. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hindsight... The alternative at the time was Lucic, I think we got the better deal of the bad deals handed out that day