4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Signing LE was s humongous mistake.  That was trying to squeeze more out of the old core.  If it was for only three years okay, but the six over six years hurts our cap room now.  Good on LE getting a big contract.  Bad on JB for giving it to him. 

Alf, easy for you to say along with everyone else. None of us, including JB, knew how it would go.

You yourself liked the signing:

Alflives

I think Erriksson said he just wants to help our team win, and will play the role needed. I like him with Bo and Baer, because he adds maturity and skill. Hansen reall has NO skill.

August 16, 2016

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Signing LE was s humongous mistake.  That was trying to squeeze more out of the old core.  If it was for only three years okay, but the six over six years hurts our cap room now.  Good on LE getting a big contract.  Bad on JB for giving it to him. 

He was 30 years old, the age at which most players lose their hands.  A look at the precipitous drop off of production from the Sedins as they hit 31 is instructive.  Forwards that maintain high offensive production past 30 are rare.  Yes, you can dig up examples, but that does not argue against it being unusual.  And the Sedins, to all accounts, were fitness addicted - not something of which Eriksson has been accused. He was given a six year contract. Don’t get me wrong, he is still a smart player, even a useful player, he is just not a six million dollar player.

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

He was 30 years old, the age at which most players lose their hands.  A look at the precipitous drop off of production from the Sedins as they hit 31 is instructive.  Forwards that maintain high offensive production past 30 are rare.  Yes, you can dig up examples, but that does not argue against it being unusual.  And the Sedins, to all accounts, were fitness addicted - not something of which Eriksson has been accused. He was given a six year contract. Don’t get me wrong, he is still a smart player, even a useful player, he is just not a six million dollar player.

Caps better hope Backstrom is one of them. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hindsight... The alternative at the time was Lucic, I think we got the better deal of the bad deals handed out that day

24 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

Hindsight... The alternative at the time was Lucic, I think we got the better deal of the bad deals handed out that day

The alternative was to rebuild, and sign no one.  It was a mistake that is now coming home to roost.  

24 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

Yeah, top end UFAs almost invariably end up looking like bad signings long before their contracts finish. There are seldom any long term winner UFA signings for top end players. Competitive pressures assure that they will be overpaid/have excessively long/restrictive contracts.

9 hours ago, Sedinery33 said:

We also had the option to do neither deal, it was time to rebuild, picking up old farts with big contracts is not how you accomplish that. Lucic and Eriksson are both cases in point. 

• Hydration 1

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

The alternative was to rebuild, and sign no one.  It was a mistake that is now coming home to roost.  

Only thing, that matters now is JB learns from the signing !

Came to check out some Podz info. Thought I was in LE thread for a minute..

Hope the guys getting more then 1:30 a game in KHL now after the WJ

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Came to check out some Podz info. Thought I was in LE thread for a minute..

Hope the guys getting more then 1:30 a game in KHL now after the WJ

He's been getting about 12 minutes a night the last couple of games. Coaches are trusting him more. Not bad for an 18 year old in arguably the next best league after the NHL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

He's been getting about 12 minutes a night the last couple of games. Coaches are trusting him more. Not bad for an 18 year old in arguably the next best league after the NHL.

Great news. Can’t wait for him to get his first!

• Hydration 1

16 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

His forechecking is very good, uses the body and stick well to create turnovers. 

8 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

That's a beaut!

• Thanks 1
  • Burr 3

44 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Great he got his first....but that was weak defending...Army's D. actually blocking out and providing the lane for Podz to waltz through...

Still Podz did all the right things to make it work...!

Great going Podz! Now that he has his first he will get his mojo going and bury more. First of many for the big Rusky, well done!