The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

7 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I feel like he has the tools but not the toolbox. Like he doesn't think the game at a pro level. To be fair I haven't seen a tonne of him but what I have seen reminds me of David booth (the way he thinks the game).  Like no one else is on his team when he has the puck. 

Has alot of great qualities though with his speed and drive. Okay shot. Good hands and good passing.

I'm also not a fan of his development path. I know I'm contradicting Benning but I dont understand how hes nhl ready when hes barely khl ready lol.

I dont bring this stuff up though in fear of getting shredded on here. I do hope he turns into a great player for us.

Ok, your first part I will really not be able to agree with.   His hockey sense seems really high.  Watching him live at WJC he was constantly putting pucks in great places for linemates who were the David Booth equivalents you speak of.  My impression of him is polar opposite of what you have seen.

On the development path, I agree entirely.   However, I don't blame the kid for that at all.   You say he isn't KHL ready?  Based upon what?   He is playing VERY well in KHL and has whenever he has been given the chance.   He is often the fastest and most physical presence on the ice - and he is ONLY 18 freakin' years old!!!    

I am not shredding on you at all, just saying that I am not able to agree based upon what I have seen and wondering what exactly you have seen different.   Did you watch him in WJC?   See how many great plays he made to guys with hands of brick?   Have you watched any of his KHL games?   (I will admit, I have watched only five and all by feed, none live so it isn't same I know) but in each I have watched he has been a very strong player.   It is ironic he has started scoring but that isn't how I am measuring him in KHL - I want to see how he does with pace, physicality and so forth and he has excelled to the point , per above, he is often the fastest looking and most physical force on the ice.

I don't base any of this on hope.   Just visual context.   I do agree with you development path is not ideal at all.  What I cannot agree upon is what you get to see when you watch him play.   He is still young enough next year to play WJC again and my projection for him by then is an ability to watch a boy among men in terms of ability to exert will on puck control and so forth.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Ok, your first part I will really not be able to agree with.   His hockey sense seems really high.  Watching him live at WJC he was constantly putting pucks in great places for linemates who were the David Booth equivalents you speak of.  My impression of him is polar opposite of what you have seen.

On the development path, I agree entirely.   However, I don't blame the kid for that at all.   You say he isn't KHL ready?  Based upon what?   He is playing VERY well in KHL and has whenever he has been given the chance.   He is often the fastest and most physical presence on the ice - and he is ONLY 18 freakin' years old!!!    

I am not shredding on you at all, just saying that I am not able to agree based upon what I have seen and wondering what exactly you have seen different.   Did you watch him in WJC?   See how many great plays he made to guys with hands of brick?   Have you watched any of his KHL games?   (I will admit, I have watched only five and all by feed, none live so it isn't same I know) but in each I have watched he has been a very strong player.   It is ironic he has started scoring but that isn't how I am measuring him in KHL - I want to see how he does with pace, physicality and so forth and he has excelled to the point , per above, he is often the fastest looking and most physical force on the ice.

I don't base any of this on hope.   Just visual context.   I do agree with you development path is not ideal at all.  What I cannot agree upon is what you get to see when you watch him play.   He is still young enough next year to play WJC again and my projection for him by then is an ability to watch a boy among men in terms of ability to exert will on puck control and so forth.   

Agreed.  However, I don’t know if Pods being here would be any better fir his development.  He’d be stuck in junior for two seasons more.  Although where he is isn’t ideal, I do believe it’s better than being a junior here.  US college hockey would (maybe?) be ideal for him. 

1 minute ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I believe it was two years from his draft year (2019), that he'd have completed his khl contract (spring 2021).  So correct me if I'm wrong, but we should be able to have him in time for our playoff push next season 2021!

Wow!  That would be friggin’ fabulous!  How exciting will it be next season at this time knowing Pods was coming soon? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Agreed.  However, I don’t know if Pods being here would be any better fir his development.  He’d be stuck in junior for two seasons more.  Although where he is isn’t ideal, I do believe it’s better than being a junior here.  US college hockey would (maybe?) be ideal for him. 

Playing hockey on one team and getting meaningful minutes.   That is what a kid needs.   Right now,  I think the best place for kids to develop is either in Swedish or Finnish programs or the USHL.   Those have the best balances of practices, games and attention to mental fitness.   CHL has too many games and kids get burnt.   Russia lacks a real "program" and succeeds mainly through sheer number of players but there is not really a development program like they had in the 1970s and into the 1990s.    

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

My not khl ready is based on his mins. If hes playing so well, why hasn't he not had any game over 12 mins? Also why has he been sent down to the Vhl and even the Mhl. 

I admit I'm a tad of a stat watcher and eye test kind of guy (no advanced stats for me). Hes looked okay and his stats are atrocious this year and last. Combine that with his coach giving him microscopic mins has me a little worried. 

This is all in context to a 11th overall pick too though. I tend to be harsher on prospects selected with higher picks. On a side note I'm much more impressed with hoglander. 

11 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

My not khl ready is based on his mins. If hes playing so well, why hasn't he not had any game over 12 mins? Also why has he been sent down to the Vhl and even the Mhl. 

I admit I'm a tad of a stat watcher and eye test kind of guy (no advanced stats for me). Hes looked okay and his stats are atrocious this year and last. Combine that with his coach giving him microscopic mins has me a little worried. 

This is all in context to a 11th overall pick too though. I tend to be harsher on prospects selected with higher picks. On a side note I'm much more impressed with hoglander. 

seems like from his coaches comments above that they are taking their time and not rushing the kid. Maybe thats best? 

2 hours ago, Derp... said:

Did some quick math, and Pod's is scoring around 0.7 G/60 in the KHL. 1 Goal every 85 minutes or so. 

That works out to about 12 Goals over 82 games playing 12 mins a night. Not bad for an 18 year old. 

Basically if he was playing in the NHL this year 12 goals would be a good starting point on 140-160 shots. 

If Podkolzin can get 2-3 shots every 12 mins right now that is going to bode well for his production over time. 

EDIT:

Actually it's better than I thought. He's only averaging 6:47 per game this year so. his total TOI is 128:57
That's 1 goal every 64:26.

Playing 12 mins a night over 82 games at that rate is roughly 15-16 goals over 82 games. 

Can’t argue math! Appreciate the number crunching it’s nice to see what could be in a different scenario. Also there’s no variable we could add with more TOI probably means you have better linemates.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Read the tweets above as to why his minutes are lower. He's being developed and not rushed. He's earning more minutes as he's playing better defensively. They are ensuring he can play a complete game which will translate well when he comes over. Think Jake and how we played him minimal minutes getting him to play the defensive game well and look at him now and the progression.

He was sent to the MHL and VHL early on to get minutes. The teams are located near each other, so it's easy to send him to those leagues to get some playing time. He's barely seen MHL time as he's too dominant amongst the peers in his age group at that level. He's been getting more VHL minutes which is a men's league. And now he's progressing towards more KHL time.

If he came over here, he would be getting the same minimal minutes treatment and maybe AHL time until he's trusted to be a responsible player. This is no different really, just in Russia instead. The way he's being groomed is going to allow him to step into the NHL almost immediately when he comes over. He might start with 3rd line minutes, but once he demonstrates that he's responsible and trusted, he will move up quickly. His passing is great (players couldn't bury the chances in WJ) and he's showing now a goal scoring touch with a decent shot and good drive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I feel like he has the tools but not the toolbox. Like he doesn't think the game at a pro level. To be fair I haven't seen a tonne of him but what I have seen reminds me of David booth (the way he thinks the game).  Like no one else is on his team when he has the puck. 

Has alot of great qualities though with his speed and drive. Okay shot. Good hands and good passing.

I'm also not a fan of his development path. I know I'm contradicting Benning but I dont understand how hes nhl ready when hes barely khl ready lol.

I dont bring this stuff up though in fear of getting shredded on here. I do hope he turns into a great player for us.

you don't make the plays he made in the WJHC if you don't "think" the game at an elite level. He could easily have led that tournament in points.

• Cheers 1

Confidence is a funny thing; there is the confidence of the player in himself, but also the confidence of the coach in the player, and the confidence of the organization in the player. The lack of any of those means the player doesn’t get to play. In the just passed world junior tournament, Podkolzin was second on his team in ice time - played in all key situations - most of any Russian forward. He looked like a very confident forward. Why was he played in all situations? 

On his KHL team, he was unable to get more than a few fourth line minutes - no confidence from a coach who needs to win now. But it would seem he was observed in tournament play because he has returned to his KHL team, has more minutes and his first two goals for that team. As for organizational confidence, I think Benning has already made a statement about that - he expended a high first pick on a guy with what appeared to be a scant statistical record. Benning and his scouting staff have made an increasingly impressive record at drafting young players. Some, like Jake, have taken a while to impress (and some would still say they are not impressed), and Juolevi (hampered and development delayed by injury) - but other than that, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Gaudette, and others now impressing elsewhere argue to the efficacy of their scouting and development. Players such as Rafferty, Lind, Demko, MacEwen, Bailey, Jasek, Teves, Gadjovich, Juolevi have all shown great improvement. Most recent draft selections have almost all shown great development wherever they are playing, which speaks volumes to their ability to identify potential.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

The KHL is an odd league.   It isn't about talent sometimes but given he is 18 and given he is on a VERY stacked KHL team, the fact he sees ANY ice is almost historic.   The minutes are actually extremely high for an 18 year old teen.   He is on a team that has a couple other 19 year olds too and it appears that there is an ice time pecking order for sure.   Again, watch the games.   He is a very good player at that level.   I would argue that KHL is just a step behind the AHL.   Imagine an 18 year old in the AHL for a minute.   Think about how Kole LInd did in his first season as a 20 year old and now how good as 21 year old.....now put Kole in there as an 18 year old and do you think he would have much ice time?   Great stats?   

From what I can see, this kid can already skate at NHL level and has the size too boot - plus an attitude you cannot teach.   

I don't think being harsher is unfair at all - I just think that you should watch him more.  You can get KHL feeds pretty easily.   See if the eye test changes.   I will assume you watched WJC?  I was there and he was outstanding.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

On 1/9/2020 at 8:13 AM, Hogs & Podz said:

Sure yah did... :rolleyes:

Master chicken.

You think it’s that crazy I’d have a 17/18 year old who put up 91 points in the dub and was great at the U-18s in my top 30? 

On a side note, I also had Pasternak as No. 10-12 in that draft.

It doesn’t happen often, but the Canucks could have used my scouting expertise in 2014 :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

If he came over here, he would be getting the same minimal minutes treatment and maybe AHL time 

Nope, too young for AHL.   If here, it would be NHL or Junior.   The guy is still junior eligible NEXT season.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The KHL is an odd league.   It isn't about talent sometimes but given he is 18 and given he is on a VERY stacked KHL team, the fact he sees ANY ice is almost historic.   The minutes are actually extremely high for an 18 year old teen.   He is on a team that has a couple other 19 year olds too and it appears that there is an ice time pecking order for sure.   Again, watch the games.   He is a very good player at that level.   I would argue that KHL is just a step behind the AHL.   Imagine an 18 year old in the AHL for a minute.   Think about how Kole LInd did in his first season as a 20 year old and now how good as 21 year old.....now put Kole in there as an 18 year old and do you think he would have much ice time?   Great stats?   

From what I can see, this kid can already skate at NHL level and has the size too boot - plus an attitude you cannot teach.   

I don't think being harsher is unfair at all - I just think that you should watch him more.  You can get KHL feeds pretty easily.   See if the eye test changes.   I will assume you watched WJC?  I was there and he was outstanding.

I would suspect most khl and shl teams would handle ahl teams 7 or 8 times out of 10

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, flat land fish said:

I would suspect most khl and shl teams would handle ahl teams 7 or 8 times out of 10

Don't agree at all.   Cream of the crop of the AHL would compete very well against both KHL and probably mop the floor with SHL.   While the KHL is almost universally cited as the "second best league in the world", people who have played in both would say AHL is right there.   Both are ahead of SHL.  

Do some comparisons where you can.  A guy like Steve Moses plays in the KHL and is a point-per-game player and has 36 goals. He plays in the AHL and he has 16 points in 29 games.    Lots of similar examples.  On the whole,  yes, an average KHL team would likely beat an average AHL team but I think if you took the cream from both it would be very close. 

• Cheers 1