The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

18 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

13:29 is his career high, yikes.  I know he is young but wow.

I'm not bothered by anything over 10 mins. The 1min and the 3min games bugged me. 

It's funny how the majority of CDC is all for keeping OJ down in Utica so he gets alot of mins for development. Yet the khl is a "great place for development" while pod is getting less than 8 mins alot of times.

59 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I'm not bothered by anything over 10 mins. The 1min and the 3min games bugged me. 

It's funny how the majority of CDC is all for keeping OJ down in Utica so he gets alot of mins for development. Yet the khl is a "great place for development" while pod is getting less than 8 mins alot of times.

I don't think many are saying it's a "great" place for development but that it's not out of the ordinary for an 18 year old to have to earn playing time. His minutes have been steadily increasing and he's been getting around the 11-13 min per game since the WJCs. It might not be the best place for development but that's mostly the way for Russians

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

At the start of the year, he was getting a front row seat as to the operations of the KHL club. He got his minutes in the MHL and VHL. They have stated they want to take the time to develop him and ensure he is ready defensively before trusting him with more minutes which is generally the right way to approach this when dealing with young players in a high level men's league. He is still only 18 years old.

No one said it is a "great place for development", but they have developed many NHLers and what they're currently doing hasn't been poor or wrong.

Olli Juolevi is returning from a major injury and needs the reps to gain confidence in his body and make up for lost time. Completely different scenario. Olli playing in the AHL is like Vasili playing in the VHL in which he was getting the minutes and looked good enough for him to earn his gradual increase in ice time. I reiterate that Podkolzin is only 18 years old. Trust the process.

Exactly.  Also, the heavy style of game that Podz plays needs to be metered out in a slow but steady progression.  Rushing him into an adult professional league and expecting him to play big minutes against much bigger and more experienced players could very well ruin his development.  We will see a gradual upgrade in his minutes this season and I suspect he will be have regular shifts and special team minutes next year.

Imo, Podz would be a beast in the CHL and would have a couple more years of bulldozing opponents; stealing pucks; crashing the net and so on.  Playing against boys does not physically or mentally prepare him for the major transition to adult pro hockey. 

In the end, the route that Podz is taking will prepare him to play in the NHL sooner than going the CHL to AHL to NHL plan.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Exactly.  Also, the heavy style of game that Podz plays needs to be metered out in a slow but steady progression.  Rushing him into an adult professional league and expecting him to play big minutes against much bigger and more experienced players could very well ruin his development.  We will see a gradual upgrade in his minutes this season and I suspect he will be have regular shifts and special team minutes next year.

Imo, Podz would be a beast in the CHL and would have a couple more years of bulldozing opponents; stealing pucks; crashing the net and so on.  Playing against boys does not physically or mentally prepare him for the major transition to adult pro hockey. 

In the end, the route that Podz is taking will prepare him to play in the NHL sooner than going the CHL to AHL to NHL plan.

I would say think of Virtanen. When he came in as a raw 19 year old, he seemed to be physically ready to play. However, he wasn't mentally prepared (they want Pod to be ready for the defensive side before giving him more minutes) and he also got injured in his first season against bigger competition than he had been facing previously. Jake probably had to back off his physicality because of this injury and realization that the NHL is at another level (just like going to the KHL from junior ranks). Some are seemingly too impatient for proper development which is about as important as finding the right player to draft.

It's hard to say what would have happened if Pod was drafted from junior. JB said that Pod could play in the NHL right now. It is conceivable that he might have gone top 3 if he was available to play here immediately. This feels a little like it did when we were eagerly waiting for Bure to come over. Glad we got him, but why do we have to wait so long!!!

23 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

Thank you!  That's a great comparison.  Let's just leave it at that.  

I still can't get over how quickly my excitement died when I saw someone mention that Rafferty was neck and neck with Pouliot in the AHL d-man scoring race. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Thank you!  That's a great comparison.  Let's just leave it at that.  

I still can't get over how quickly my excitement died when I saw someone mention that Rafferty was neck and neck with Pouliot in the AHL d-man scoring race. 

Rafferty is much better defensively