The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So can we all agree that his development wasn't messed up in the KHL? Kids going to be a top 6 regular on SKA next year playing all situations, and then we get to have him. Pretty much an ideal situation given our cap and the age of our young core group. 

Definitely not. I think it's giving him enough icetime that he's motivated to continue to try to improve off the ice in the offseason. As it stands right now, assuming his last 14 games is not a fluke, he's at 0.64 ppg which is amazing for an 18 year old player in the KHL. Even if he averages 0.64 ppg next season it'd still be a really good season but of course I'm hoping for more from the kid.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Funny because these were all the points that many have brought up as being why it was good to draft him from the day we did draft him. Some people are just too impatient and expect immediate stardom or they're supposedly failing or being failed in some way. The concept of development seems lost on some.

I blame McDavid. People think its normal to play in the NHL at 18, when its the exception. 

25 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Funny because these were all the points that many have brought up as being why it was good to draft him from the day we did draft him. Some people are just too impatient and expect immediate stardom or they're supposedly failing or being failed in some way. The concept of development seems lost on some.

I'm in the "don't draft Russians high" camp, but at #10 you don't pass on Podz.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Kid is just beastly in all the tough areas with a non stop motor and above average skill...Can't wait until he get here in a couple more Septemeber-Octobers. He's going to be such a great compliment to our core.

Compliment for sure.  A great team has a a spread of skill sets across the roster.  Podz has what this team lacks which is a player with a never quit, straight to the net with size, grit and edge AND enough skill when the team needs it most.  Last nights vs the leafs is the perfect example.  We needed someone to put the team on their back... And it can't be just one player either.  Bo can do it sometimes and as he gets more experienced, I expect he will be able to rise to the challenge more consistently.  Who else has that 'it' factor on this team?  Petey was last year at times, Boeser the year before... Hughes has the skill for it.  The only consistent player with enough skill and brought it night after night this year is Markstrom.  So, yes, Podz has that 'it' factor... When he gets here, he alone will raise the grit and skilled/compete level a couple notches on his own.  And yes... He's made for the playoffs.  Can't wait!

As silly as it may sound, I've been wanting to buy a jersey for years now but I've been lamenting on who to choose... though he's not here yet and his # isn't guaranteed... Hell, we don't even know that he will come here a 100% after his khl stint...  But, I think I'm going to go out and get a custom jersey made for me. 

Flying V #92 Podkolzin

Yes... I'm nuts, I'll show you guys once I have it (sometime this summer).;) 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I blame McDavid. People think its normal to play in the NHL at 18, when its the exception. 

1st overall picks play in the NHL right away the vast majority of the time. That's not McDavid's fault. 

Blame the media and the fans who don't think critically. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

1st overall picks play in the NHL right away the vast majority of the time. That's not McDavid's fault. 

I can't think of a number one pick that didnt play right away 

13 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

nah I blame McDivey too, just because I wanna. 

Its filtered down from 1st oa to people expecting all top 10s to have a chance at cracking an NHL lineup. Its ridiculous. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Look at Jack Hughes. Because so many of the past first overall picks have lit the world on fire their rookie season, he’s already being slapped with the “bust” label despite putting up respectable numbers for a teenager on an awful team. He’ll still have a great career, just not as good as Huggy Bear’s.

I’d be curious if Podkolzin was on the wing with Horvat and Pearson for the majority of the year would he have more than the ~20 points that J Hughes and Kakko have?  I think because of the suspected fit 9 on that line he could have 25-30 points.

23 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Pods is EXACTLY the kind of player this team needs in its young core. Benning and co. may have had several other players ranked ahead of him, but getting him at 10 may be a godsend as he fulfills an important role for this team.  3-4 years down the line, #92 Podkolzin jerseys may be the Canucks top seller.

I honestly don't know how many guys Benning would have had ahead of Podkolzin, even if the Canucks were at #5 in the draft?  He seems to fit Bennings mold pretty well.

He'll be a machine when he gets here in 2021. I believe that he will be the tipping point for the Canucks once he gets here. His determination, along with Pettersson and Hughes' determination. Those guys will be on fire by the 2021/22 season. 2022 Champions, just a feeling. 

• Cheers 2