The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

12 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I'm not sure where this myth came from. There's a number of other reasons for why he could've dropped like the fact that his point production wasn't increasing over time, other prospects rising, weak position (D and C usually prioritized over W), and just better overall scouting of Podkolzin. Also, it would seem like a silly reason to drop all the way to 10th where a number of players before him would almost certainly require 2 years before NHL time as well (Broberg, Seider, Cozens, etc.). If there is some sort of source that specifically mentions this as the reason for his fall I'd like to see it. 

With that being said, I think he would be redrafted slightly higher after seeing everyone's D+1 season. I was disappointed when we initially drafted him but I'm glad to see I'm being proven wrong. 

I think he plays to the level of a prospect like Lucas Raymond who is eligible this year and looks to be a top 3-4 draft pick in such a deep year. 

In the NHL Podkolzin highlights real on the previous page, they suggest he should be taken at 3OA... a top 5 player in this draft.... all while they mention 4 reasons why he dropped,  russian being one of the reasons... or so it sounds?

Edited by spook007

1 minute ago, ruilin96 said:

I love Rathbone too, but if he isn't planning to sign here and wants to stay close to his family and his brother, this may be a trade that is in the works. JB has been linked to trying to trade for Ristolainen in the past and I think a change of scenery for Ristolainen can be beneficial for him as well.

Krueger is getting an increased managerial role and will have his say on roster construction.  He seems to have more experience than Adams.  Given his increased role and his recent comments on Ristolainen it seems doubtful that he would be available.  

“He’s a centerpiece of what we’re doing here. The National Hockey League is a world of moving pieces. I want to coach Risto next season, I would enjoy coaching Risto next season so that’s probably all I need to say to you,” Krueger said on a zoom call with reporters on Friday. 

“Risto always comes with a little bit of bite but that’s what we love about him and I’m expecting to see him as a centerpiece and a core player in our group next year.”

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

I love Rathbone too, but if he isn't planning to sign here and wants to stay close to his family and his brother, this may be a trade that is in the works. JB has been linked to trying to trade for Ristolainen in the past and I think a change of scenery for Ristolainen can be beneficial for him as well.

Why do you say that?

22 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Why do you say that?

This isn't confirmed, just me personally speculate. He chose to stay home to play an extra year of High School hockey to be with his brother. Vancouver is very far from his home, he may contemplate to sign somewhere close to his home. With this pandemic, we couldn't sign him this season and he maybe able to turn UFA next year. If he is a UFA, he may chose somewhere close to home. There is no source nor confirmation, but just me speculating base on what I think he could do. He is a character kid, there is still a good chance for him to sign here. If he doesn't then that's when you look at other options.

19 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

This isn't confirmed, just me personally speculate. He chose to stay home to play an extra year of High School hockey to be with his brother. Vancouver is very far from his home, he may contemplate to sign somewhere close to his home. With this pandemic, we couldn't sign him this season and he maybe able to turn UFA next year. If he is a UFA, he may chose somewhere close to home. There is no source nor confirmation, but just me speculating base on what I think he could do. He is a character kid, there is still a good chance for him to sign here. If he doesn't then that's when you look at other options.

Fair enough. But just unfounded speculation no? Personally, I'm not ready to trade him based on that. He's not that type of person. I'm willing to bet money that he's not waiting until he hits FA and bolting. I believe the reason he's holding out is because he's not sure whether or not the AHL will actually play out the 20-21' season next year. It's tough competition to crack the Canucks lineup, and if he signs a professional contract he can't return to NCAA. That means he could potentially sit idle next year and he doesn't want to do that so he's waiting to see how things unfold. Smart plan imo. I will try to find the source later but I believe it might have been an interview of his or something coming out of Canucks camp... I'm at work now so cannot research but will try to find later. it's worth noting that Utica is also fairly close to his family.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Fair enough. But just unfounded speculation no? Personally, I'm not ready to trade him based on that. He's not that type of person. I'm willing to bet money that he's not waiting until he hits FA and bolting. I believe the reason he's holding out is because he's not sure whether or not the AHL will actually play out the 20-21' season next year. It's tough competition to crack the Canucks lineup, and if he signs a professional contract he can't return to NCAA. That means he could potentially sit idle next year and he doesn't want to do that so he's waiting to see how things unfold. Smart plan imo. I will try to find the source later but I believe it might have been an interview of his or something coming out of Canucks camp... I'm at work now so cannot research but will try to find later. it's worth noting that Utica is also fairly close to his family.

Like I said, I am not proposing to trade him. I am just put everything in the "what if" scenario. This is all hypothetical.

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Idk if this helps you, but Podkolzin was ranked as the 3rd OA pick throughout the entire season pre-2019 draft. The reason he miraculously dropped to us is that teams knew of his 2 year KHL contract and the implications it had on their roster and his development. We took a chance, and it seems to this day, to be paying off quite well. I wouldn't look at him too much as a mid-round pick. For me, he's as much of a gem relative to his draft class and his pick, than Boeser Pettersson Demko and Hughes. 

You do realize that I was responding to someone who said he is NHL ready now.

With that in mind where does he slot in today, or next season?

Miller                                   Toffoli - unsigned for next year

Pearson                              Boeser

Roussel                               Virtanen

Ferland                                 Motte

Ericksson                             MacEwen

Leivo- still injured

NHL ready means you slot him in there and drop every one else down a notch

Let get this young man over here from Russia and then be patient to develop him to take Erickssons spot and move him up or down the line-up accordingly,last thing you want to do is rush him and crush his confidence and offensive prowess.

About that time we will know more moving forward, to become legit contenders for the cup again.

20 hours ago, lmm said:

Leivo- still injured

He won't be here for another season regardless (plus the rest of this one, assuming it resumes). But I think it's safe to say he's 'NHL ready' enough that he could start in a bottom 6 role on an NHL team.

But by that point, Pearson will have needed re-signing, as would Toffoli potentially and Motte this off season. Leivo isn't under contract past this season either.

Between those things and the possibility of say a package of Virtanen+ for a D, trade Roussel etc. Plenty of space for him, Hoglander and Lind, Jasek etc should they prove worthy in the long term and as vets expire/get moved.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

On June 19, 2020 at 9:18 AM, spook007 said:

Interesting... Do believe as per reports the reason for Podkolzin dropping was mainly the Russian issue. With him being signed for the next 2 years in the KHL... But yes think he was rated around 9th mainly because of him being russian. 

I agree I was watching a show before the draft and several insiders said he would of been #3 - 5 if he wasn't from Russia and also just signing a 2 yr KHL contract..Really not many players drafted in 2019 would play in NHL in the first year or 2nd year...We got lucky with big Podkolzin 6'1, 19 yrs, 200lbs, solid 200 foot game...He could be here late March 2021 if KHL season ends and his team has no playoffs...Se we lost 2 top players from Utica, Boucher 27, Goldy 25 so more time in top 6 now for young Canucks now.. So Lind should be on top line, Hoglander, Gadjovich,  Bailey 6'4 speedy, Michaells, college player signed, Jasek, Lockwood..

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

I agree I was watching a show before the draft and several insiders said he would of been #3 - 5 if he wasn't from Russia and also just signing a 2 yr KHL contract..Really not many players drafted in 2019 would play in NHL in the first year or 2nd year...We got lucky with big Podkolzin 6'1, 19 yrs, 200lbs, solid 200 foot game...He could be here late March 2021 if KHL season ends and his team has no playoffs...Se we lost 2 top players from Utica, Boucher 27, Goldy 25 so more time in top 6 now for young Canucks now.. So Lind should be on top line, Hoglander, Gadjovich,  Bailey 6'4 speedy, Michaells, college player signed, Jasek, Lockwood..

Cheers.

Yes there’s opportunities in the UTICA top six now, which is very pleasing. They just have to grab their chance and it won’t be long before they’ll get their chance in Vancouver... the transition is happening now and over the next couple of years. Really exciting time..... 

• Cheers 3

On June 20, 2020 at 4:51 PM, spook007 said:

Cheers.

Yes there’s opportunities in the UTICA top six now, which i s very pleasing. They just have to grab their chance and it won’t be long before they’ll get their chance in Vancouver... the transition is happening now and over the next couple of years. Really exciting time..... 

agree, so exciting and the top 2 guys are Pettersson 21 and Hughes 20..The Vancouver Canucks fans can be very excited..

Centre - Pettersson 21 - Horvat 25 - Gaudette 23 -

Wingers - Miller 27 - Taffoli 28 - Boeser 23 - Pearson 28 - Virtanen 23 - Ferland 27 - Leivo 27 - MacEwen 23 - Roussel 30 - Motte 24 - Podkolzin 19 - Lind 21 - Hoglander 19 - Jasek 22 -  Bailey 24 - Michaells 23 -  Gadjovich 21 - Lockwood 23 

Defence - 1. Hughes 20  Myers 30 - Stetcher 25 - Rafferty 25 - Juolevi 21 - Rathbone 21 - Briesbois 22 -  Woo 19 -- Tryamkin 26

Edler 34 few more years left -- Tanev 31 Dec UFA ?? Maybe move on and trade for #3 D man under 27....Benn 32 - 1 yr left

Markstrom 30 - Demko 24 - Dipietro 20 

The future is bright and exciting..Thanks Jim Benning for turning this exciting ship around.. Lots of prospects and more good hockey changes to come..

Go Canucks Go!

Edited by wildcam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

On 6/19/2020 at 9:37 AM, AK_19 said:

I'm not sure where this myth came from. There's a number of other reasons for why he could've dropped like the fact that his point production wasn't increasing over time, other prospects rising, weak position (D and C usually prioritized over W), and just better overall scouting of Podkolzin. Also, it would seem like a silly reason to drop all the way to 10th where a number of players before him would almost certainly require 2 years before NHL time as well (Broberg, Seider, Cozens, etc.). If there is some sort of source that specifically mentions this as the reason for his fall I'd like to see it. 

With that being said, I think he would be redrafted slightly higher after seeing everyone's D+1 season. I was disappointed when we initially drafted him but I'm glad to see I'm being proven wrong. 

I think he plays to the level of a prospect like Lucas Raymond who is eligible this year and looks to be a top 3-4 draft pick in such a deep year. 

Pretty much all insiders and media people said he was a top 5 pick if it wasn't for the Russian factor during the draft. Elliotte Friedman even asked Benning why the 2 years in Russia didn't scare us off like the other GM's.

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2020 at 10:00 PM, lmm said:

Leivo- still injured

Next season will be spent in the KHL, which like i said, is a big contributor to him dropping in his draft. The year after, it’ll all depend on his training camp performance. He has the size and the skill to slot in the 3rd line right away, but he’s got to earn it.  My point was to not underestimate or undervalue him, as he is a top 5 prospect in that draft. He could very well take a top 6 spot right under someone like pearson’s nose, for example. 

• Cheers 2

On 6/11/2020 at 7:52 PM, lmm said:

fair enough

you have clearly watched him much more than me.

I do not pay attention to prospects.

I still think the numbers are against him

he is a left shot RW, which in Travis Greens mind means he is a left winger

It might be disapointing to all of us to see him on left wing, no?

there he has Rooster, Ferland  and Ericksson to beat out for minutes

If he does play RW he has Virtanen, Motte and MacEwen to contend with.

How good do you think he is right now?

how much better than those 6 is he?

Wasn't Jake the most NHL ready guy in his class after the top 3?

Virtanen was physically ready for the NHL, his play as a whole was not NHL ready.

Podkolzin is physically ready and has a defensive game that is said to be at a level that will be successful at the pro level already. Much different. He definitely has the potential to be a third line winger right now.

Edited by MrCanuck94

10 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Virtanen was physically ready for the NHL, his play as a whole was not NHL ready.

Podkolzin is physically ready and has a defensive game that is said to be at a level that will be successful at the pro level already. Much different. He definitely has the potential to be a third line winger right now.

Podkolzin's overall game at 18 is likely not far off Virtanen's game last year at 22 IMO.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Podkolzin's overall game at 18 is likely not far off Virtanen's game last year at 22 IMO.

I agree, seems like a good comparison. Would be interesting to see what his defensive game is at in the NHL and if they would trust him with PK time within his first season.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I agree, seems like a good comparison. Would be interesting to see what his defensive game is at in the NHL and if they would trust him with PK time within his first season.

Now if Pod just works on his skating to get closer to Virtanen's level...B)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Now if Pod just works on his skating to get closer to Virtanen's level...B)

sure but Podkolzin seems to be well ahead mentally ( according to Larionov). What springs to mind for me is as Forrest Gump states "Stupid is as stupid does"  :lol: :lol:

Edited by Fred65