The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

44 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

It was retweeted by Gord Miller 

Wonder if that’s retroactive to guys like Podkolzin.

If they add measures like this forget about Russian players being drafted in the first or second round. Too much chance they’ll stay until they’re 24 if they have to pay a big fee.

Happens in soccer.  We also can’t be too high and mighty as we draft children to limit their employment choices, including not allowing them to play in the AHL and collect a pay cheque so they have to play for free for a junior club.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Provost said:

Happens in soccer.  We also can’t be too high and mighty as we draft children to limit their employment choices, including not allowing them to play in the AHL and collect a pay cheque so they have to play for free for a junior club.

Draft picks who have signed an ELC get paid their signing bonuses (usually $92,500) regardless if they play pro or junior, plus they get paid their pro salary for any regular season time spent in the NHL. Draft picks who haven't signed a contract get paid by their junior clubs. 

On 6/28/2020 at 8:56 AM, Chickenspear said:

Draft picks who have signed an ELC get paid their signing bonuses (usually $92,500) regardless if they play pro or junior, plus they get paid their pro salary for any regular season time spent in the NHL. Draft picks who haven't signed a contract get paid by their junior clubs. 

Oh so in Mikey Dipietro case, when he played in the juniors he got paid $92,500? Man... This team mates mustve been jealous

On 6/28/2020 at 8:56 AM, Chickenspear said:

Junior players don't get paid, they get a stipend to cover expenses because they can't work.  They aren't employees and are considered "student athletes"

AHL players get paid.

18-19 year olds aren't allowed to play in the AHL and get paid an AHL salary even if they are good enough.  That is literally the entire point of my post.  We can't make judgements on Russians holding onto their players when we force minors to work unpaid on for profit teams and eliminate their ability to explore their opportunities and the free market for their services.

Edited by Provost

40 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Have to imagine Mikey D bought a few dinners for his mates in the summer of 2018. :lol:

Hopefully his mates bought him a few beers after getting lit up in the NHL in that one game :P

21 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Oh so in Mikey Dipietro case, when he played in the juniors he got paid $92,500? Man... This team mates mustve been jealous

Yes.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/michael-dipietro

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#els

What is an Entry Level Slide?

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Players who sign at 18 years old are eligible to have their contracted extended for 2 seasons. This extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in his signing year. Signing bonuses do not slide, and are paid to the player regardless of a slide, this causes the annual average of the players contract to change, and therefore the cap hit decreases for this player
19 hours ago, Provost said:

Junior players don't get paid, they get a stipend to cover expenses because they can't work.  They aren't employees and are considered "student athletes"

AHL players get paid.

18-19 year olds aren't allowed to play in the AHL and get paid an AHL salary even if they are good enough.  That is literally the entire point of my post.  We can't make judgements on Russians holding onto their players when we force minors to work unpaid on for profit teams and eliminate their ability to explore their opportunities and the free market for their services.

I should have been clearer in my post. I wasn't implying paid as in like an actual salary, but a stipend is a form of payment meant to get around the "student athlete" rules (which needs to increase if they insist on calling them that). So not "free" but not much either. If you signed an ELC however, and it slid for a year, you still get the signing bonus, just not the actual AHL salary. 

I understand your point about not judging Russia because of wanting to introduce a draft law in reference to the CHL/NHL transfer agreement, the situation is a bit different though. Both need to keep their leagues running strong, and make money, which is why we see the 18-19 year olds go back to junior if they don't make the NHL roster, as they, the top players, draw crowds. I would like to see more exceptions based on stats over a 2-3 year period, but another year or 2 in junior with higher minutes is what most of these players would benefit from, also considering the education funds, perks of billet families, etc.. Where as Russia is wanting to punish their U23 players if they leave, instead of offering incentive to stay.

3 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

I understand your point about not judging Russia because of wanting to introduce a draft law in reference to the CHL/NHL transfer agreement, the situation is a bit different though. Both need to keep their leagues running strong, and make money, which is why we see the 18-19 year olds go back to junior if they don't make the NHL roster, as they, the top players, draw crowds. I would like to see more exceptions based on stats over a 2-3 year period, but another year or 2 in junior with higher minutes is what most of these players would benefit from, also considering the education funds, perks of billet families, etc.. Where as Russia is wanting to punish their U23 players if they leave, instead of offering incentive to stay.

I don’t see any difference at all.  The KHL wants to do it to keep their league strong as well.  If they had their top players it would draw the crowds.

if they spend all the time and money developing kids in the Russian system who will just bail for the NHL it limits their league a lot.

The KHL proposed system is actually fairer as it doesn’t prohibit players from leaving, it just means that they have to be paid a transfer fee to compensate them for the cost and time of development.  By 23 they are free and clear as they would have “paid back” their development by playing in the KHL for a few years.  Seems pretty fair actually.

Keeping CHL players capable of playing in the AHL from becoming professional paid athletes is punishing them, not incentivizing them at all.  That is even less fair and more punishing than allowing an NHL team to pay a transfer fee to the CHL team to allow them to play on a farm club.... which would be the KHL equivalent rule.

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

What’s everyone’s opinion on Podkozins ceiling?  60 point RW?  1st or 2nd line?  Playoff difference maker?  Better as Bo’s winger or Petey’s?

If he gets to play on a line with Pettersson, he should easily reach 60 points.

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pure ceiling: all that and more.

He has the potential to be a first line/star talent that pushes his individual scoring rate up to around a point per game, while making strong contributions all over the ice (defense/checking, retrieval, possession, playdriving, physicality, energy, leadership, special teams, etc).

Podkolzin has a wealth of raw talent, plays a relentless, high energy, two-way game, drives play at both ends of the ice, creates a tonne of chances, extends possession, and has an impressive arsenal of overall offensive skills. He has the potential to be a Mark Stone level player (or a Mark Messier type, if you wanna quote Igor Larionov). I could see him becoming the type of player that regularly posts elite level GAR/WAR (and similar overall stats measures for on-ice effects).

In terms of pure potential, his ceiling is very high.

But like all prospects, the odds are he doesn’t hit his ceiling.

Most likely range: middle-six winger who can play either side, all situations, 40-60 points per season, along with a very nice fancy stats profile.

Best C match, Petey/Bo/Gauds: TBD.

Thanks Sid!

i just want to talk hockey again.  I miss it.  Especially with our summer feeling like winter.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1